Age: 42 Years
Hometown: Bathinda, Punjab
Wife: Sanmeet Kaur
|Known for||• Being elected as the MLA of the Aam Aadmi Party from the Bathinda Rural Assembly constituency in the 2022 Punjab Legislative Assembly election
• Being arrested by the Bathinda Vigilance Bureau in connection to a bribery case
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 172 cm
in meters- 1.72 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 8”
|Political Party||Aam Aadmi Party
|Political Journey||• 2016: Joined Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD)
• 2017: Contested from Bathinda Rural in the 2017 legislative assembly elections but lost to AAP Rupinder Kaur Ruby by a margin of 10,718 votes
• 2020: Expelled from SAD
• January 2022: Joined the Aam Aadmi Party as the candidate from Bathinda Rural
• 2022: Won the Punjab Legislative Assembly elections and became the MLA of the Aam Aadmi Party from the Bathinda Rural Assembly
|Date of Birth||17 July 1980 (Thursday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||42 Years|
|School||St. Joseph's Convent Senior Secondary School, Bathinda|
|College/University||Baba Banda Singh Bahadur Engineering College, Fatehgarh Sahib|
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor of Engineering/Technical (Mechanical) (2003) My Neta|
|Address||H.No. 70, Kotfatta, W. No. 3, Tehsil & District Bathinda|
|Controversy||On 23 February 2023, he was arrested by the the Bathinda Vigilance Bureau in connection to a bribery case. The complainant, Pritpal Kumar claimed that Amit had asked for Rs. 4 lakh from him as a bribe for releasing a grant worth 25 lakh for the development works of Ghudda village. A week before his arrest, on 16 February, his close aide Rashim Garg was also arrested in Bathinda in the same case. The Vigilance bureau officials caught Garg accepting Rs. 2,000 notes at a government-owned guest house, where Kotfatta was also present. An audio clip between Kumar, Amit and Garg where Amit was seeking money from Kumar went viral on social media. After this an FIR was lodged and Amit denied having any link with Garg, but Kumar alleged that he met them together when he went to give bribe. The Indian Express According to a media source, Amit's arrest was sanctioned by Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann. In a Twitter post, he said,
Bribery by anyone, in any way, will not be tolerated. Faith, love and expectations of the people of Punjab keep my spirit up. There will not be any mercy for those who "gobble up" people's money. Law is equal for all." The Indian Express
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Sanmeet Kaur (police officer)
|Parents||Father- Babu Singh Rattan (class 1 officer in the Income Tax department)
Mother- Name Not Known
• Cash: Rs. 2,55,000
• Bank Deposits: Rs. 6,94,282
• Motor Vehicles: Rs. 8,00,000
• Jewellery: Rs. 55,93,000
• Non-Agricultural Land: Rs. 99,60,000
• Commercial Buildings: Rs. 25,00,000
Note: The given estimates of movable and immovable assets are according to the year 2022. It excludes the assets owned by his wife and dependents (minor). My Neta
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 2 Crores
Note: The net worth was for the financial year 2022. It excludes the net worth of his wife and dependents (minors). My Neta
Some Lesser Known Facts About Amit Rattan Kotfatta
- Amit Rattan Kotfatta is an Indian politician who was elected as the MLA of the Aam Aadmi Party from the Bathinda Rural Assembly constituency in the 2022 Punjab Legislative Assembly election. On 23 February 2023, he was arrested by the Bathinda Vigilance Bureau in connection to a bribery case.
- He always prefixes ‘Engineer’ before his name on social media pages.
- His wife is a 2007 police officer who is posted in Nagaland. Earlier she was posted in Jalandhar Rural. His sister and brother-in-law are also class 1 officers in Haryana.
- In 2020, he was expelled by the SAD after he was accused of cheating party workers by not providing them with business opportunities. After that, many farmers in the constituency complained about him cheating on them. However, there was no police case registered against him.
- In 2022, when he was announced as a candidate by AAP, the decision was severely criticised by the founding members of the AAP in Punjab.
- In 2022, during the election campaign, the Bharti Kisan Union Ekta Ugrahan’s Sangat block members protested in front of his house for three days because he was alleged of not paying some youngsters who got some surveys done in 2017.
- In the same year, some people complained to the Bathinda inspector general of police about a fake company run by Amit that collected money from youngsters. A letter was written to Arvind Kejriwal for review of candidature. Amit denied the allegations against him and said that there was no proof available.
- In 2022, however, he won the elections and after being elected as the MLA from Bathinda Rural, he said,
My aim is to serve public selflessly and become a bridge between the government and people to get as many works of people done from the authorities. I will also work in the direction of eradicating corruption from the system.”