|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 177 cm
in meters- 1.77 m
in feet & inches- 5' 10"
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 90 kg
in pounds- 198 lbs
|University||Banaras Hindu University|
|Educational Qualification||M.Sc tech, Geophysics (2003) Anurup Bhattacharya - LinkedIn|
|Relationships & More|
|Children||Son- Avigyan (b. 2008) (age 16 years; as of 2023)
Daughter- Aishwarya (b. 2010) (age 14 years; as of 2023)
|Parents||Father- Ajay Bhattacharya
Mother- Krishna Bhattacharya
|Siblings||Brother- Arunabhas Bhattacharya (Dentist)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Anurup Bhattacharya
- Anurup Bhattacharya and Sagarika Bhattacharya moved to Norway in 2007, but their family was investigated by the child welfare service for several months. In May 2011, their children Abhigyan, aged 3, and Aishwarya, aged 1, were taken away by the authorities due to concerns about the parents’ parenting skills.
- The reasons for the charges included objections to Sagarika feeding the baby by hand, the children sleeping in the same bed as their parents (a common practice in Indian households), and inadequate clothing and toys for the children. Sagarika was also accused of slapping her child, although it was a single incident.
- The Bhattacharyas received counseling services, but custody of the children was transferred to Anurup’s brother after a diplomatic dispute. Eventually, the children returned home with their mother, leading to a diplomatic row between India and Norway.
- Anurup filed for divorce in 2012, claiming that his wife had a severe psychological condition, which he had concealed to gain custody of their children.
“It was not just cultural bias that prompted the Child Welfare Services to act. My wife has a serious psychological problem. She is extremely immature, like a teenager really, and all this media attention has gone to her head. I tried to protect her and do her bidding. But last night was such a shock that I have now moved out and am seeking a legal separation. This is not the first time this has happened. Sagarika has assaulted me many times before,” Anurup said.
- He also claimed that the children were traumatized to go back to their mother and talk to him for hours on Skype.
- Avigyan, their son, had symptoms resembling autism and was enrolled in a nearby kindergarten program. After returning to India in 2011, Anurup claimed that foster care had worsened his son’s mental condition, with the boy now banging his head against the wall more often.
“I notice that Abhigyan’s head banging has worsened. He has become even more stubborn and adamant than before. Yes, he does make eye contact now. But he has also started hitting his little sister, something he never did before,” he said in an interview.
- A movie titled Mrs. Chatterjee Vs Norway, featuring Rani Mukerji as Sagarika and Anirban Bhattacharya as Anurup, will be released on March 17, 2023.
- After the trailer’s release, the hashtag #BoycottGermany trended in India due to the similar case of Bhavesh and Dhara Shah, who are fighting to regain custody of their baby in Germany.