|Full Name||Bhogaraju Ramana Rao|
|Profession||Consultant Physician and Cardiologist|
|Famous For||Operating a free rural clinic at T Begur village near Bengaluru|
|Date of Birth||31 August 1951 (Friday)|
|Age (as in 2019)||68 Years|
|School||St. Joseph’s Indian High School|
|College/University||• Kasturba Medical College in Manipal
• Bangalore Medical College
|Educational Qualification||MBBS, MD (Medicine and Cardiology)|
|Address||Clinic: 94/H, 9th Cross, 13th Main, Rajmahal Vilas Extension, Landmark: Near Sadashivanagar Low-Level Park, Bangalore|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Dr Abdul Kalam National Award: Rural medical service (2008)
• Padma Shri: Contribution in the Field of Medicine (2010)
|Controversy||Dr Rao filed a complaint against the journalist 'Hemanth Kashyap' for blackmailing him and demanding Rs. 50 lakhs. Hemanth had Rao's private videos, and he threatened him to telecast those videos on his TV Channel. He had extorted Rs. 5 Lakhs from Dr Rao and was demanding more money. Deccan Chronicles|
|Relationships & More|
• Charit Bhograj (Cardiologist)
• Abhijit Bhograj (Endocrinologist)
|Parents||Father- B. S. Rama Rao
Mother- Shakuntla Rao
|Favourite Food||South Indian Cuisines|
|Favourite Actor||Amitabh Bachchan|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Dr B. Ramana Rao
- Dr B. Ramana Rao is a consultant physician and cardiologist practising in Bangalore.
- He holds many prestigious professional degrees of his profession- MBBS, FAGE, MD, FICA, and FAIID.
- On 15 August 1973, his father started a clinic for him.
- His clinic is located in T. Begur (rural area), which is 35 km away from Bangalore (Bangalore- Pune National Highway).
- Every Sunday, he visits his patients in the free medical checkup camp.
- His wife and two sons (who are doctors) also support him in this noble cause.
- Apart from his free medical service to the poor he has also adopted fifty schools in the nearby villages where he distributes free books and uniforms to the needy students. He has also helped in constructing toilets in the Begur village.
- Since 1974, he has treated almost 1.4 million patients.
- His clinic is considered as one of the world’s longest-running free clinics.
- He has received many awards and honours for his contribution to the welfare of society.
- On receiving the Padma Shri award he said-
I feel like I have received a pat on the back from Mahatma Gandhi, Pandit Nehru and indeed all our forefathers who built modern India. It is a recognition of the need to serve those in need. It motivates me to do more. I wish more to join in and make life better for many more.”
- He has started a token system in his clinic in which a yellow token indicates pain in the joints and body, a red token is for allergic sickness and anaemia (usually in women), and a blue token indicates breathing disorders.
- In 1984, Dr Rao treated Amitabh Bachchan when he was suffering from a serious illness.
- Rao, along with his wife, appeared on the special ‘Karmaveer’ episode of Kaun Banega Crorepati 11 (2019).
References/Sources: [ + ]