Dr. Smita Kolhe Age, Husband, Children, Family, Biography & More
Hometown: Nagpur, Maharashtra
Husband: Dr. Ravindra Kolhe
Age: 55 Years
Some Lesser Known Facts About Dr. Smita Kolhe
- Dr. Smita Kolhe is a doctor and an Indian social activist who has devoted 30 years of her life to the people living in the remote village areas of Bairagrah, Melghat, Maharashtra. Dr. Smita Kolhe holds an MBBS degree. After receiving the MBBS degree, she started practicing in Nagpur.
- Dr. Smita was approached by Dr. Ravindra Kolhe after he completed his MD course. He was looking for a companion who would help him out in his goal of working for villagers in the Melghat region. Dr. Ravindra Kolhe had certain conditions before marriage due to which many prospective brides rejected him. Dr. Smita, on the other hand, agreed to all his conditions as she wanted to use her knowledge and skills for the welfare of others.
- Dr. Smita had to gain the trust of the villagers as she was new in the area, and it was during this time that she had to give birth to her first child, and Dr. Ravindra decided to deliver the baby himself as he did for the other villagers. Some complications during the birth caused infection in the baby and villagers suggested that the baby and mother should be moved to a better medical facility, but Dr. Smita decided to stay there and get treated like every other villager.
- Later, with their passionate efforts and diligence, the Dr. Couple succeeded in reducing the infant mortality rate in the area from 200 per 1000 to 40 per 1000, and the pre-school mortality rate went down from 400 per 1000 to 100 per 1000.
- The doctor couple often conducts workshops and camps for youth to raise awareness about farming techniques and how they should take up farming as it is essential for the livelihood of the people of the region and the government is offering several beneficiary schemes on it. The couple’s elder son, Rohit Kolhe, is a farmer, and their younger son, Ram Kolhe, is a doctor, and he aims to become a surgeon as there are no surgeons in the Melghat region.
- The state’s Public Works Department minister visited the village and saw how the families lived there. He offered to build a house for the Kolhe family, but Dr. Smita asked for good roads in the region instead of a house for her family, and because of her, more than 70% of the village in the region went on to have road-connectivity.
- In 2019, Dr. Smita Kolhe and Dr. Ravindra Kolhe received the Padma Shri, India’s fourth-highest civilian award, from the President of India Ram Nath Kovind for their exemplary work.
- Dr. Ravindra Kolhe and Dr. Smita Kolhe featured on the Karamveer Special episode of ‘Kaun Banega Crorepati’ on 4 December 2020.