|Full name||Bhagwani Devi Dagar NDTV|
|Famous for||Winning gold and two bronze medals in the World Masters Athletics Championships in 2022|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 5”
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Salt and Pepper|
|Date of Birth||Year, 1928|
|Age (as of 2022)||94 Years|
|Birthplace||Khidka village, Haryana|
|Nationality||• British Indian (1928-1947)
• Indian (1947-present)
|Hometown||Khidka village, Haryana|
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status||Not known|
|Children||Son- Name not known
Grandson- Vikas Dagar (para-athlete)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Bhagwani Devi
- Bhagwani Devi is an Indian nonagenarian athlete. In 2022, she came to the limelight after winning gold and two bronze medals in the World Masters Athletics Championships held in Tampere, Finland.
- In an interview, Bhagwani Devi claimed that she began preparing for the Masters Athletic Championships in early 2022. She also claimed that she was helped in the preparations for the tournaments by her grandson, Vikas Dagar, who is a famous para-athlete and a recipient of the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award (now known as the Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award).
- While giving an interview to Aaj Tak, Vikas Dagar said that he got to know about his grandmother’s interest in sports, when, one night, she asked him to give her the shot put, with which he practised. He told the media,
One night my grandmother asked me for my shot put. When I gave her the ball, she did not show any promising performance, maybe it was because of the darkness. But in the morning she woke me up and asked for the ball once again. It was then when I got to know about her interest in sports. After this, I started preparing her by taking out on the field to practice.”
- In 2022, Bhagwani Devi participated in the Delhi State Masters Athletics Meet in which she won three gold medals in 100 metres sprint, shot put, and javelin throw.
- In May 2022, Bhagwani Devi participated in the 42nd National Masters Athletics Championships in Chennai, where she won three gold medals in 100 metres sprint, shot put, and javelin throw.
- In 2022, after winning three golds, the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports (MYAS) selected Bhagwani Devi as one of the athletes to represent India in the World Masters Athletic Championships, which was held in Finland.
- From 29 June 2022 to 10 July 2022, Bhagwani Devi participated in the World Masters Athletic Championships in Tampere, Finland, where she managed to secure a gold medal in the 100-metre sprint race, and two bronze medals in shot put and javelin throw. In the competition, she managed to finish the 100-metre race in 24.74 seconds.
India's 94-year-old #BhagwaniDevi Ji has yet again proved that age is no bar!
She won a GOLD medal at the #WorldMastersAthleticsChampionships in Tampere in the 100m sprint event with a timing of 24.74 seconds.🥇She also bagged a BRONZE in Shot put.
Truly commendable effort!👏 pic.twitter.com/Qa1tI4a8zS
— Dept of Sports MYAS (@IndiaSports) July 11, 2022
- In an interview, Vikas Dagar claimed that Bhagwani Devi, in 2023, would participate in World Masters Indoor Athletics Championships; to be held in Toruń, Poland.
- Bhagwani Devi, in an interview, expressed her desire to represent India and win more medals for the country in such international competitions. She further stated that her age has never held her back from achieving anything that she wanted.
- In an interview once Bhagwani Devi claimed that she used to go on a 3-kilometre walk every day. Bhagwani told the media,
I walk 3 km every day. I even climb the ladders in my home up to the third floor, all this so as to remain in a condition in which I can participate in such competitions.”
- After winning medals in the competition, she was hailed by many well-known actors and politicians.
94 वर्ष की आयु में पूरी दुनिया के लिए प्रेरणास्रोत बनी भगवानी देवी जी को पूरे हरियाणा की ओर से राम-राम!
वर्ल्ड मास्टर्स एथलेटिक्स चैंपियनशिप, फिनलैंड में स्वर्ण सहित 3 पदक जीतने पर भगवानी देवी को हार्दिक बधाई एवं शुभकामनाएँ।
आपकी ये उपलब्धि युवाओं में जोश भरने का कार्य करेगी। pic.twitter.com/qEvyJxcBhC
— Manohar Lal (@mlkhattar) July 11, 2022