Age: 41 Years
Height: 5’ 11”
Husband: Virendar Poonia
|Famous For||The First Indian Woman to win a Gold Medal in the Commonwealth Games|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 182 cm
in meters- 1.82 m
in feet inches- 5’ 11”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 80 kg
in pounds- 176 lbs
|Figure Measurements (approx.)||36-27-35|
|Coach||Virendar Singh Poonia|
|Records (as of 2018)||Holds the National Record for the Longest Discus throw of 64.76 meters|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• 2006: Bronze Medal in the Doha Asian Games and Gold Medal in the 46th Open National Athletics Championship
• Gold Medal in the 2010 Commonwealth Games
• Bronze Medal in the Guangzhou Asian Games in 2010
• Awarded the Arjuna Award in 2010
• Maharana Pratap Award from the Government of Rajasthan
• Bhim Award from the Government of Haryana
• Awarded the Padma Shri Civilian honor in 2011
|Political Party||Indian National Congress (INC)|
|Political Journey||• Joined the Indian National Congress (INC) in 2013
• Contested for the Sadulpur Assembly Seat in 2013 from Rajasthan but lost
• Contested again in 2018 for the Sadulpur Assembly Seat and won
• Congress announced her as the party's candidate to fight the 2019 General Elections from the Jaipur Rural seat of Rajasthan against sitting MP Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore
|Date of Birth||5 May 1977|
|Age (as in 2018)||41 Years|
|Birthplace||Agroha, Hisar District, Haryana|
|Hometown||Agroha, Hisar District, Haryana|
|College/University||Kanodia Girls College, Jaipur|
|Educational Qualifications||Degree in Sociology|
|Controversy||Krishna raised her voice against the selection process of the Khel Ratna Award, claiming that even after having the majority votes, the award was conferred to Ronjan Sodhi even after his name was suggested after the voting had been done|
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||Year 2000|
|Husband||Virendar Singh Poonia (Government Officer and Coach)|
|Parents||Father- Maha Singh
Mother- Name Not Known
|Cars Collection||• Mahindra Scorpio (2008 Model)
• Maruti Suzuki SX4 (2010 Model)
• Maruti Suzuki SX4 (2012 Model)
• Audi Q5 (2013 Model)
|Assets/Properties||Movable Assets: ₹1.65 crores
Bank Deposits: ₹1.1 crores
Jewellery: ₹10 lacs
Immovable Assets: ₹1.2 crores
Agricultural Land: ₹20 lacs
Non-Agricultural Land: ₹60 lacs
Residential Building: ₹40 lacs
|Salary (as an MLA)||₹25,000 + other allowances|
|Net Worth (approx.)||₹3.45 crores (as of 2014)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Krishna Poonia
- Krishna Poonia is an International Gold Medalist and the First Indian Woman Athlete to win a Gold Medal in the Commonwealth Games. She represented India in the Olympics 3 times. She is the only athlete in India after Milkha Singh to win a gold medal in an international track and field event.
- Due to lack of facilities in her school and village, she got introduced to sports after she joined college. She picked up her first discus in college and started winning collegiate and state level competitions as a discus thrower. This got her selected for a National camp in Patiala.
- Interestingly Virendar Poonia, former National Level Hammer thrower, was attending the same camp as Krishna but didn’t know her. Later that year their families arranged their marriage and they got married in the year 2000.
- In 2001, Krishna gave birth to her son, Lakshayraj, and a year after that, she pursued her career in sports. Her husband motivated her, encouraged her, and coached her. Krishna often says about her husband-
He is the pillar of all my success.”
- Her first major international victory was when she won the Bronze Medal in the Doha Asian Games and later the Gold Medal in the 46th National Open Athletics Championship.
- She won the Gold Medal in the 2010 Commonwealth Games Delhi and became the first Indian woman and the only athlete after Milkha Singh to win a Gold Medal in a track and field event. She considers this the highest point in her sporting career.
- On 11 October 2010, she was honored with the Arjuna Award, just a few days after she won the Gold Medal in the Commonwealth Games, New Delhi.
- In 2011, she received the Padma Shri Award for her extraordinary contributions in sports.
- In 2013, she joined the Indian National Congress (INC) in the presence of Rahul Gandhi. She stated the experience as overwhelming and promised the people of Rajasthan that she’ll work day and night for their betterment and upliftment.
- In her first election from the Sadulpur Assembly Constituency in 2013, she lost the seat to Manoj Nyangali of the BSP, but this didn’t break her spirits as she waited and worked in her constituency for the next 5 years and in the 2018 Assembly elections, she won from the same seat.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of ICC World Cup Winners (1975-2015)
- For the 2019 general elections, Congress announced that Krishna will be contesting from the Jaipur Rural Constituency of Rajasthan, against Cabinet Minister Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore; who is the sitting MP from Jaipur Rural.
References/Sources: [ + ]
1. ↑ Wikipedia