|Nickname(s)||Shooter Dadi, Revolver Dadi|
|Famous For||Being one of the oldest sharpshooters of India along with her sister-in-law, Prakashi Tomar|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Senior Citizen – National Award
• HT Woman 2017
• Devi Award
• Shram Shakti Award
• 100 Women Achiever Award
|Date of Birth||1 January 1932 (Friday)|
|Age (as in 2019)||87 Years|
|Birthplace||Shamli, Uttar Pradesh|
|Hometown||Village Johri, Bagpat District, Uttar Pradesh|
|Caste||Jat The Better India|
|Relationships & More|
|Children||Son(s)-3 (Names Not Known)
Daughter(s)-3 (Names Not Known)
Note: All 3 of her daughters are shooters and have participated in shooting championships at the international level.
|Parents||Names Not Known|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Chandro Tomar
- Chandro hails from a family with an agricultural background.
- She grew up watching guns as one of her brothers was in the military.
- She got married when she was just 15 years old.
- Chandro resides in the village Johri of the Bagpat District of Uttar Pradesh.
- Although Tomar did not receive any formal education, she is fast in grasping English.
- She took up shooting as a career when she was 65 years old.
- Chandro never planned a career in sharpshooting. Her granddaughter, Shefali, wanted to learn shooting and Chandro used to accompany her to the Johri Rifle Club. One day, when Shefali was unable to load the rifle, then, Tomar helped her and made a shot at the target hitting the bull’s eye. The club’s coach, Farooq Pathan, noticed this and advised Chandro to take training in sharpshooting.
- Initially, Chandro practised shooting during the late hours of the night or the early hours of the morning; as she feared to disclose it to her family.
- Within 15 days of starting her career as a shooter, Chandro’s name and photo got published in a local newspaper.
- After 2 weeks, her sister-in-law, Prakashi Tomar also followed her footsteps and started learning shooting.
- Tomar participated for the first time in the North Zone Championship. She defeated an army officer at the championship and bagged a silver medal. Her grand-daughter, Shefali, also competed in the same championship in the junior category and won a silver medal.
- In her career, she has won more than 30 national championships.
- In 2016, Tomar won a bronze medal at her last competition in Delhi.
- Since 2016, she has been coaching youngsters, addressing gatherings, and inaugurating various sports institutions.
- Chandro has appeared in various TV shows like Satyamev Jayate, India’s Got Talent, and History TV’s OMG! Ye Mera India.
- She has 6 children and 15 grandchildren. Tomar lives in a joint family of 40 persons.
- Her granddaughter, Shefali Tomar, is an international shooter.
- Her niece, Seema, is the first Indian woman shooter to win a medal at the Rifle and Pistol World Cup in 2010.
- Her sister-in-law, Prakashi Tomar, is also a sharpshooter and has won various competitions along with her.
- When someone questioned her about people getting scared of her, Chandro told that robbers no longer come to their village.
- Tomar wears conventional attires while shooting and covers her head with a saree to avoid the disturbing noise of the wind.
- In 2019, a film titled ‘Saand Ki Aankh,’ based on the biographies of Chandro Tomar and her sister-in-law, Prakashi Tomar, was released. The Bollywood Actress Taapsee Pannu and Bhumi Pednekar played the roles of the two sharpshooters in the film. The film was declared tax-free in Delhi and Rajasthan.
- In October 2019, Chandro, along with her sister-in-law Prakashi Tomar, and the cast of the film “Saand Ki Aankh,” visited the sets of ‘The Kapil Sharma Show’ to promote the film.
Sponsored View this post on Instagram
Har joke lagega hassi ke nishaane pe jab Kapil se milne ayenge #SandhKiAankh ke stars aur unke kirdaaron ke inspirations! Dekhiye #TheKapilSharmaShow, iss Sat-Sun raat 9:30 baje. @kapilsharma @kikusharda @chandanprabhakar @krushna30 @bharti.laughterqueen @sumonachakravarti @banijayasia @archanapuransingh @taapsee @bhumipednekar
- On 25 October 2019, Chandro, along with her sister-in-law Prakashi Tomar, watched the first show of their film at a multiplex in Baraut, Uttar Pradesh. A huge crowd covered the Shooter Dadis and asked them to get clicked with them.
- Chandro has travelled across Punjab, Haryana, and Bihar to set up shooting ranges for them.
- Reportedly, there are boards outside the houses of the shooter dadi’s with their name “Shooter Dadi” and the slogan “Beti Bachao, Beti Khilao, Beti Padhaao.” printed on it.
- In October 2019, Chandro Tomar was admitted at a hospital in Delhi where she underwent surgery.
- Chandro revealed in an interview that her son-in-law was among her first supporters.
- In an interview, Chandro said that when she visited the sets of “Bigg Boss 13,” she joked with Salman Khan if he was the same man she had been watching on the television all those years. However, that portion was cropped by the Bigg Boss team and Chandro was not happy with it.
References/Sources: [ + ]
|1.||↑||The Better India|