Age: 19 Years
Height: 5' 7"
Hometown: Thornhill, Canada
|Full Name||Bianca Vanessa Andreescu|
|Famous For||Winning the 2019 US Open against Serena Williams|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in feet inches- 5’ 7”
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Dark Brown|
|Coach||• Nathalie Tauziat
• Sylvain Bruneau
|Career Titles||3 WTA, 1 WTA 125k, 5 ITF|
|Highest Ranking||World No. 5 (9 October 2019)|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• The Fed Cup Heart Award in 2017
• The Tennis Canada Female Player of the Year Award in 2017
• Female Summer Athlete of the Year Award in 2019 at the 42nd Canadian Sport Awards
|Records||• First Canadian to win the US Open
• The first woman to win the US Open on her debut
• First Canadian to win a Singles Grand Slam event
• First Woman born in the 2000s to reach a Grand Slam Final
• First-person born in the 2000s to win a Grand Slam
• She shares the record of playing the fewest Grand Slams (4) before winning a Grand Slam with Monica Seles
|Date of Birth||16 June 2000 (Friday)|
|Age (as in 2019)||19 Years|
|Birthplace||Mississauga, Ontario, Canada|
|Hometown||Thornhill, Ontario, Canada|
|School||Bill Crothers Secondary School, Markham, Canada|
|College/University||Did Not Attend|
|Educational Qualification||High School Diploma|
|Food Habit||Non-Vegetarian BTToronto|
|Hobbies||Yoga, Meditation, Listening to hip-hop music, Rescuing stray dogs|
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- Nicu Andreescu (Engineer)
Mother- Maria Andreescu (Chief Compliance Officer at an Investment firm)
|Favourite Tennis Player||Kim Clijsters, Simona Halep, Serena Williams, Venus Williams|
|Favourite Song||"Unforgettable" by French Montana|
|Favourite Movie||"The Fault in Our Stars"|
|Favourite TV Show||Grey's Anatomy|
|Favourite Restaurant||"360 The Restaurant" in CN Tower, Toronto, Canada|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Bianca Andreescu
- Bianca Andreescu is a Canadian tennis player. She rose to fame when she won the Rogers Cup and the US Open against Serena Williams.
- Her family is originally from Romania, but they immigrated to Canada in the 1990s.
- She was born in Mississauga, Canada, but her family moved back to Romania to their parents’ native place a few years after her birth. Bianca also speaks fluent Romanian.
- Her parents made her try several sports, but she liked tennis the best.
- She started playing tennis regularly at the age of 7.
- A few years later, her family moved back to Canada. She started playing tennis at the “Ontario Racquet Club” in Mississauga.
- At the age of 11, Bianca got enrolled in Team Canada’s Under-14 National Training Centre in Toronto, Canada.
- She likes to be called by her middle name, Vanessa; as it was inspired by the 1984 Miss America, Vanessa Williams.
- Her first breakthrough was in 2014 when she won the “Les Petits As” in France, which is one of the most prestigious Under-14 tournaments in the world. It was after this win that she got serious about pursuing tennis as a career. She also signed her first autograph and also did her first interview in France.
- She won many other low-level tournaments in 2014, and she ended the year with winning the Orange Bowl in Florida.
- In 2015, she made her International Tennis Federation (ITF) debut with the 25K Gatineau event, but she lost in the finals.
- In December 2015, when she was just 15 years old, she became the first Canadian since 2009 to win the “Under-18 Orange Bowl”, which is a Grade-A tournament.
- In 2016, Bianca won her first ITF title at the “2016 Challenger Banque Nationale de Gatineau”.
- Bianca is good friends with the Romanian tennis player, Simona Halep. In 2016, Simona persuaded Bianca to turn pro as soon as possible. She also considers Simona as her idol.
- In 2017, she won 2 “25K” titles. She also took part in the “Citi Open” in the United States. During her second round, she became the first player born in the 2000s to beat a Top 20 player, after she defeated World No. 13, Kristina Mladenovic.
- The year 2019 proved to be a breakthrough year for Bianca. She won her first “WTA 125k” title at Newport Beach, US. She also reached the semifinals of the Mexican Open. This took her ranking to a career-best of World No. 60.
- In March 2019, she defeated Angelique Kerber to win the 2019 “BNP Paribas Open” held in Indian Wells, California. It was her first WTA Tour title. It also improved her ranking to 24.
- On 11 August 2019, she got the biggest victory of her career when she won the 2019 Rogers Cup (Canadian Open) against Serena Williams. It was a historic day as Bianca became the first Canadian to win the Canadian Open since 1969.
- On 8 September 2019, she defeated Serena Williams again in the US Open. She also became the first Canadian woman to win a Grand Slam singles title, the first woman to win the US Open in her debut, and the first player born in the 2000s to win a Grand Slam tournament. This win also made her the World No. 5.
- After her US Open victory, the Prime Minister of Canada, Justin Trudeau, congratulated her on Twitter and stated that she made the whole country proud.
— Justin Trudeau (@JustinTrudeau) September 7, 2019
- She has a pet dog named Coco. She often posts photos of her with her dog on her Instagram account. Her dog is often seen at the court when she plays. During the US Open final, her mother had her dog on her lap while she played.
References/Sources: [ + ]