|Other Name||Carrie Johnson The Guardian|
|Profession(s)||Political Activist & Conservationist|
|Famous for||Being the wife of the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom Boris Johnson|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 7”
|Political Party||Conservative Party (UK)
|Date of Birth||17 March 1988 (Thursday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||33 Years|
|Hometown||East Sheen, London|
|School||Godolphin and Latymer School, London (1999-2006)|
|College/University||University of Warwick, Coventry, England
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor of Arts (Hons.) in History of Arts and Theatre Studies (2009) LinkedIn - Carrie Symonds|
|Religion||Catholicism The Irish Times|
|Food Habit||Vegan Vegan Food & Living|
|Address||Flat above 11 Downing Street, City of Westminster, London The Guardian|
|Controversies||• In January 2020, there were concerns in the United Kingdom that she had influenced the Prime Minister to pull the cull of badgers in Derbyshire as she had received briefs from badgers trust before the cull was pulled. The National Farmers' Union (NFU) asserted that the government ignored scientific advice to continue the cull because of her. According to The Guardian, a judicial review was permitted to look into how the decision was reached. The Guardian
• In August 2019, Carrie wanted to visit the United States for some work. However, her application for a visa for few days to go to the United States was blocked, giving the reason that she visited Somaliland, Horn of Africa, for five days. news.com.au
• In June 2019, Carrie and Boris Johnson got into an argument in Carrie's South London flat. Their neighbours could hear screaming, shouting, and even banging sounds. One of the neighbourers, who concerned for her safety, called the police. The police authorities said that the fight did not need a police action. A neighbour, however, taped their argument and handed it to the media, which put questions on their strained relationship. The couple dismissed the incident as a romantic tiff. The Straits Times
• In 2018, Carrie resigned from her post as Director of Communications of the Conservative Party. Rumours started to circulate that she was asked to leave by party chiefs because she mishandles the party expenses, and her performance was not up to the mark. Later, some of the party workers discarded the rumours as baseless. Mirror
• In 2007, aged 19, when Carrie was going to home from King's Road nightclub, she encountered a taxi driver, John Worboys, who offered her a ride. In the taxi, she was offered a champagne, which was spiked. When she refused to drink it, he offered vodka instead, and she drank a little of it. According to Carrie, she couldn't not remember anything except that she came home vomiting and laughing before passing out until 3 pm the next day. In 2009, John Worboys was convicted of several rape cases, and at his trial, fourteen women testified against him; Carrie was one of them who waived her anonymity. Talking about it in an interview, she said,
"A sad, wicked man who is a danger to society. I feel so angry that he pleaded not guilty and made us go through the pain of giving evidence in court."
In 2018, when news of John's early release began circulating, she let go of her anonymity and campaigned against his release, fundraising a successful judicial review of the decision. John was put to prison again due to her efforts. Evening Standard
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Boyfriends||• Harry Cole (British Political Journalist)
• Boris Johnson (2018-2021)
|Marriage Date||29 May 2021
|Marriage Place||Westminster Cathedral, Church|
|Husband/Spouse||Boris Johnson (2018)|
|Children||Son- Wilfred Lawrie Nicholas Johnson (born on 29 April 2020 at University College Hospital in London)
|Parents||Father- Matthew Symonds (Journalist and Co-founder of The Independent newspaper)
Mother- Josephine Mcaffee (née Lawrence) (a former lawyer working for The Independent)
|Siblings||She has two half-siblings from her father's marriage.|
|Other Relatives||Paternal Grandfather: John Beavan (British Journalist)
Paternal Grandmother: Anne Symonds (English broadcaster on culture and politics for the BBC World Service)
Paternal Step-grandfather: Richard Symonds (English academic and civil servant)
Father-in-law: Stanley Johnson (British Author and former Member of the European Parliament (MEP) for Wight and Hampshire East)
Mother-in-law: Charlotte Johnson Wahl (British artist)
Sister-in-law(s): Rachel Johnson (British journalist, television presenter, and author), Julia Johnson (English author and singer-songwriter), Amelia Gentleman (British Journalist and the wife of Jo Johnson)
Brother-in-law(s): Jo Johnson (British politician)
|TV Show||Fleabag (2016)|
|Salary (as the Director of Communications of the Conservative Party)||£80,000 a year; she received £20,000 for leaving her job. Mirror|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Carrie Symonds
- Carrie Symonds is a British political activist and conservationist. She is known for being the spouse of the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom Boris Johnson.
- Carrie’s parents began dating while they were married to different people. Carrie was conceived as a result of their affair and was brought up by her mother in East Sheen, London.
- Between August 2007 and October 2008, she was an intern at Fishburn Hedges, Mulberry Marketing Communications, Icas Limited (Publicasity), and Doner Cardwell Hawkins.
- Between July and October 2009, she was employed as an account executive at Mulberry Marketing Communications. Between October 2009 and September 2010, she was a Public Affairs Executive trainee at Lansons Communications LLP, where she handled clients like JPMorgan Chase, PayPal, Citibank, Friends Provident, and Martin Currie Limited.
- In 2009, Carrie became a press officer for the Conservative Party (UK). In the 2010 London Conservative Party mayoral election, she worked for Boris Johnson.
- Between September 2010 and February 2011, she was the Campaign and Marketing Director for Zac Goldsmith of Richmond Park Conservative Association.
- She then worked as a Political Press Officer for the Back Boris 2012 Campaign between December 2011 and May 2012.
- In January 2011, she was employed as the Political Press Advisor for the Conservative Party at Conservative Campaign Headquarters.
- In June 2013, she was appointed as the Head of Broadcast of the Conservative Party. She left the position in 2015 and began working as a media supervisor for Conservative Party MPs John Whittingdale (May 2015- July 2016) and Sajid Javid (July 2016-May 2017). In the 2017 General Elections, she was the campaign supervisor for Zac Goldsmith.
- In June 2017, she was commissioned to be the Director of Communications of the Conservative Party, but she abandoned the position in 2018.
- After leaving the position of Director of Communications, she became a public relations officer for Oceana, a nonprofit ocean conservation organization.
- In 2018, she came into a relationship with Boris Johnson, the then Foreign Secretary, while Boris was still married to his second wife, Marina Wheeler. When Boris became the UK Prime Minister in July 2019, the couple moved to 10 Downing Street, becoming the first unmarried couple to live in the official residence of the Prime Minister. She was dubbed as ‘First Girlfriend’ after that. The Irish Times On 29 February 2020, Carrie and Boris stated that they got engaged in late 2019. Later in May 2021, Carrie and Boris married in a secret ceremony.
- She is a patron of the Conservative Animal Welfare Foundation and has campaigned actively against whaling in Japan, trophy hunting, and wet markets.
- She even campaigned against UK supermarkets to stop selling coconut products made with the help of monkeys, used as ‘slave labourers’ in Thailand. For years, she has worked hard to highlight the threat that plastic pollution poses to various marine life.
- Before she came into public relations and communications, she desired to be an actress. She even auditioned for a role in the 2007 romantic war drama film Atonement. After she failed the auditions, she switched her career goals.
- In 2020, PETA named her ‘Person of the Year.’ Vegan Food & Living According to PETA,
Carrie Symonds is a fearless force for good when it comes to making the world a kinder place for animals. PETA is delighted to honour her for using her platform to encourage people to spare a thought for our fellow animals whom we share this planet with
- Carrie takes interest in bird watching, a hobby she developed after visiting a puffin colony at Bempton in East Yorkshire. Carrie also likes to spend her time watching films and television and dancing.
- She loves animals and has campaigned several times for animal rights. In South Wales, Carrie and Boris adopted an abandoned fifteen-week-old Jack Russell-cross puppy from an animal rescue charity (Friends of Animals Wales) in South Wales. The puppy was named Dilyn.