|Profession(s)||Author, Columnist, Screenwriter, Motivational Speaker|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm
in meters- 1.68 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 6”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 64 kg
in Pounds- 141 lbs
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Date of Birth||22 April 1974|
|Age (as in 2018)||44 Years|
|Birth Place||New Delhi, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Taurus|
|Hometown||New Delhi, India|
|School||The Army Public School, Dhaula Kuan|
|College/University||• Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi
• Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Ahmedabad
|Educational Qualification(s)||• B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering
• MBA in Marketing
|Debut||Writing (Book): Five Point Someone (2005)
Screewriting: Kai Po Che! (2013)
TV (As a judge): Nach Baliye Season 7
|Family||Father- Not Known (Retired Army personnel)
Mother- Not Known (Government employee in agricultural department)
Brother- Ketan Bhagat, Anchor & Novelist (Younger)
|Address||Waheeda Building, Pali Hill, Bandra, Mumbai|
|Hobbies||Reading, Playing the Piano, Travelling|
|Controversies||• Following the release of Aamir Khan starrer '3 Idiots' in 2010, Chetan Bhagat expressed his displeasure over not getting due credit for the story of the film, which was apparently inspired by his novel- Five Point Someone.
• Back in 2011, Bhagat took a dig at Infosys chairman, N R Narayana Murthy, with the following tweet:
• At the Annual Rendezvous 2014 festival of Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) in Delhi, Chetan Bhagat made a comment that did not go down well with some people and media outlets. He had said, "Educated girls don't want to date a guy who doesn't speak English and this is what I have tried to bring out in my novel, The Half-Girlfriend".
• In April 2015, Chetan Bhagat and actress-turned-writer Twinkle Khanna indulged in a war of words on Twitter. It all started when Twinkle took a jibe at Bhagat, who at that time was judging the dance reality show- Nach Baliye. Check out the funny banter in the following snapshot:
• In July 2015, after facing enough of trolling on his social media accounts, Bhagat posted an article titled 'Anatomy of an Internet troll', wherein he referred to Narendra Modi loyalists as "sexually frustrated people". The article further added, "There is an over-riding sense of shame about being Hindu, Hindi speaking and/or Indian. Deep down they know that Hindi-speaking Hindus are among India's poorest."
• In 2018, during the MeToo campaign, a girl named Anusha shared a few WhatsApp screenshots that indicated that Chetan Bhagat was flirting with her.
|Favourite Authors/Novelists||Ernest Hemingway, George Orwell, Charles Dickens|
|Favourite Actor(s)||Aamir Khan, Farhan Akhtar, Woddy Allen, Rob Reigner|
|Favourite Book(s)||Animal Farm by George Orwell, The Black Swan by Nassim Nicholas Taleb|
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Anusha Suryanarayanan Bhagat|
|Wife/Spouse||Anusha Suryanarayanan Bhagat (m.1999-present)
|Children||Son- Shyam Bhagat, Ishaan Bhagat
|Car Collection||Ford Endeavour|
|Salary||₹7-8 Lakh (Per motivational speech)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Chetan Bhagat
- Does Chetan Bhagat smoke: No
- Does Chetan Bhagat drink alcohol: Not Known
- Chetan Bhagat began his career as an Investment Banker in a company named Goldman Sachs. Grabbing the job wasn’t an easy task for him as he had to give as many as 27 interviews as part of the selection process. He worked for almost a decade in the company’s Hong Kong office.
- While in Hong Kong, Bhagat felt that there was something missing in his life, and thus in order to fill this void, Bhagat started laying more focus on his hobby- writing.
- Every work of Chetan Bhagat has been a bestseller. Moreover, almost all of his books have been adopted into commercial Bollywood films. While ‘Hello’ and ‘3 Idiots’ were based on ‘One Night At The Call Centre’ and ‘Five Point Someone’ respectively, ‘Kai Po Che!’ and ‘2 States’ were inspired from ‘The Three Mistakes of My Life’ and’2 States (novel) respectively.
- He considers his book, 2 States, as a partial autobiography. In an interview, he revealed that the love story showcased in the book has been inspired by his real life as Bhagat is a Punjabi and his wife, Anusha, is from the southern part of the country, who fell in love with him during their IIM days.
- In 2008, The New York Times, a leading American daily, cited Bhagat as “the biggest-selling English-language novelist in India’s history”. Additionally, Bhagat was among Time magazine’s World’s 100 Most Influential People in 2010.
- Also a prolific columnist, he has written numerous columns for English newspapers like The Times of India and Hindustan Times.
- He was one of the screenwriters of Salman Khan starrer Kick (2014).