Some Lesser Known Facts About Desh Bandhu Gupta
- Did Desh Bandhu Gupta smoke:? Not Known
- Did Desh Bandhu Gupta drink alcohol:? Not Known
- He was born in a family of teachers in a small town of Alwar, Rajasthan.
- Since his school days, he developed an interest in science.
- After attaining his master’s degree in Chemistry, he harbored an ambition to become a teacher at the Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS), Pilani.
- In the early 1960s, he moved to Bombay (now Mumbai) with his wife.
- For a few years, he worked in a British pharmaceutical company named “May and Baker.”
- With an ambition to start his own business, he started Lupin (named after a flower).
- He borrowed his wife’s savings to start Lupin Pharmaceutical at a time when Indian Pharma Sector was witnessing a rise of local pharma manufacturing companies like Ranbaxy and Cipla.
- In 50 years of its inception, Lupin became India’s 2nd biggest pharma company in terms of global sales.
- Lupin is also considered world’s largest maker of tuberculosis drugs and is now world’s 4th largest generics pharmaceutical company by market capitalization.
- In October 1988, he set up Lupin Human Welfare and Research Foundation (LHWRF) to eradicate poverty from India.
- He was also a practitioner of Vipassana meditation and was a trustee of the Global Vipassana Foundation.
- Gupta was the chairman of ISKCON, Juhu Temple.
- In 2009, he received the Lifetime Achievement Award during the Pharma Leadership Summit.
- In 2011, he received the Ernst and Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award.
- In 2015, Forbes listed him world’s 25th richest person with the net worth of $7.2 billion.
📢⚡TRENDING: Watch the biography of REAL "Gully Boy" - Naezy⚡