|Real name||Duncan de Moor Metro|
|Famous For||His song 'Arcade,' which was first revealed in 2019|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 178 cm
in meters- 1.78 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 8”
|Debut||Extended Play: Worlds on Fire (May 2020)
Studio Album: Small Town Boy (November 2020)
• National in 2020
• International in 2020
• Marcel Bezençon Awards - Press Award for the song 'Arcade' in 2019
• Edison Award for Best Song for 'Arcade' in 2020
|Date of Birth||April 11, 1994 (Monday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||27 Years|
|Birthplace||Spijkenisse, South Holland province, Netherlands|
|Hometown||Hellevoetsluis, Voorne-Putten, South Holland, Netherlands|
|College/University||Rock Academy, Tilburg|
|Educational Qualification||He graduated with Majors in Music in 2017. Eurovision TV|
|Hobbies||Listening to Music|
|Tattoo(s)||He has two tattoos on his right arm.
|Relationships & More|
|Sexual Orientation||Bisexual Zizo Magazine|
|Affairs/Boyfriends||• Gerco Derksen (Separated in September 2019)
• Jordon Garfield (American songwriter)
|Fiancé||Jordon Garfield (October 2020)|
|Parents||Father- Name not known
Mother- Her middle name is Laurentia.
|Book||Harry Potter series|
|Band(s)||U2, Queen, Snow Patrol, Coldplay, The Fray, Paramore, Fleetwood Mac, Die Antwoord|
|Album(s)||Rumours by Fleetwood Mac, Back To Black by Ami Winehouse|
|Singer(s)||Elvis Presley, Alex Vargas, Sam Smith, Adele, Troy Sivan, Allie X, Noah Cyrus, Jessie J, Tom Odell|
|Song||Dance You Off by Benjamin Ingrosso|
|Film||Harry Potter series|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Duncan Laurence
- Duncan Laurence is a Dutch singer and songwriter who gained worldwide fame with his song ‘Arcade.’ The song is part of his debut studio album ‘Small Town Boy’ (2020).
- His parents named him Duncan due to his premature birth. His name means dark warrior in Gaelic. ESC Today
- When asked during an interview how he chose the name ‘Duncan Laurence,’ he replied that Duncan was his first name and ‘Laurence’ was derived from his mother’s middle name, Laurentia. ESC Today He said,
Duncan is my first name. That was easy. Laurence is from my mother, her second name is Laurentia. […] And I changed it to Laurence to honor her.”
- The town Duncan grew in did not understand the concept of music, and music was not a part of regular school systems. However, from a very young age, he showed interest in music. When he was four years old, he began playing the piano, creating his music and songs. As a child, he also began visiting an old music school and local theater, where he played the piano and wrote songs and poems every day.
- When he was a child, Laurence faced bullying and couldn’t defend himself. He was attracted to the world of music that gave him peace and a sense of security. Talking about it in an interview, he said,
I was bullied a lot when I was younger. I had a tough time in school from the age of four until I was eighteen. The school wasn’t a safe place for me, but my home, specifically my room, was because I had music. I couldn’t be myself. All that negativity I took home and locked myself up in my room. I would play my piano and write songs. It was a way to dump all that negativity into melodies, chords, lyrics and turn it into beautiful songs. I could be myself, make mistakes and tell my own stories, in a safe world, created by music.”
- In an Instagram post of October 2018, he declared himself bisexual. Shortly after he won the Eurovision contest in 2019, in a press conference, he stated,
I am more than just an artist, I am a person, I am a living being, I’m bisexual, I’m a musician, I stand for things. And I’m proud that I get the chance to show what I am, who I am.”
- In the first year of his studies in Rock Academy, he began playing with bands, ranging from Motown and Hip Hop to Rock and Reggae.
- As a part of semester studies, in 2013, Duncan formed a five-member band, which was named ‘The Slick and Suited.’ The band gave its first public performance at the Eurosonic Noorderslag, an annual four-day music festival and music conference held in the Netherlands.
- Later, The Slick and Suited performed at events like Fashion Week in the Amsterdam RAI, opening for Berget Lewis in the Mezz in Breda, P3 in Purmerend, and the Gigant in Apeldoorn. In March 2016, Dunan declared his separation from the band.
- In 2014, Duncan was a participant in the Dutch version of the singing reality show ‘The Voice.’ He took the Dutch singer-songwriter Ilse DeLange as his mentor in the show. He was eliminated in the semi-finals, but he managed to grab huge public attention.
- In 2017, he was featured in the Dutch artist Sjors van der Panne’s song ‘Laat Gaan.’
- After the show ended, Duncan toured to London and Stockholm, grabbing several music and songwriting projects. In 2018, Laurence joined hands with Jihad Rahmouni to write the Kpop duo TVXQ’s Max Changmin’s solo song ‘Closer’ from TVXQ’s album ‘New Chapter #1: The Chance of Love.’
- In January 2019, in an internal competition, Laurence was chosen to represent the Netherlands in the Eurovision Song Contest 2019, held in Tel Aviv, Israel. The Eurovision Song Contest is an annual singing contest that takes place between European countries, where each participant represents their countries.
- With 498 points from 41 international juries and public votes, Laurence became the winner of the Eurovision Contest. He is the fifth Dutch entrant to ever win the contest. Laurence is also the longest-reigning winner of Eurovision, holding the title for two consecutive years, as the contest was canceled the following year.
- In 2019, Capitol Records signed a record deal with Duncan Laurence.
- His first extended play ‘Worlds on Fire’ (2020) had singles like Arcade, Love Don’t Hate It, and Someone Else. The album was placed 64 on the Dutch Album Top 100 chart and 12 on the Billboard Top Heatseekers chart.
- His first studio album ‘Small Town Boy’ (2020) was placed 6 on the Dutch Album Top 100 chart, 94 on the Belgium chart, and 12 on the Billboard Top Heatseekers chart. The album was certified platinum just three days after its release, with 40,000 sales and streaming.
- His song was released as the lead single of Small Town Boy and peaked at 1 on Dutch Single Top 100, 45 on the Canadian Single, 29 on the UK Single, and 100 on US Single charts. Talking about ‘Arcade’ in an interview, he said,
Arcade was inspired by the story of someone I loved deeply, who died at a young age. The words, chords and melodies came to me automatically as if they fell from the sky. When Joel Sjöö and Wouter Hardy helped me finish the song it got a much larger scope. It changed from a very personal story to a story that everyone can connect to. Arcade is a song about longing… longing for love… longing for something that seems out of reach. And it speaks of hope. Hope, that you will find what you need in life.”
- In the second half of 2020, Arcade got viral on the video-sharing social networking platform TikTok, which brought Arcade more chart success and an increase on various streaming platforms. In January 2021, Arcade became the most-streamed Eurovision song ever on Spotify. In April 2021, Arcade became the first Eurovision-winning song in 45 years to chart on Billboard Hot 100.
- Laurence made his US television debut in March 2021 on Today, where he performed ‘Arcade.’ Following his performance on Today, he was seen in The Ellen DeGeneres Show, where he performed the duet version of Arcade with Fletcher.
- In his free time, Duncan listens to music and produces songs. Even while traveling, he always takes his AirPods and laptop along to produce songs.
- In February 2020, Duncan revealed that at birth, he faced oxygen deprivation that led to motor disorder affect in his right hand. Talking about it in an Instagram post, he said,
I was born, I didn’t get enough oxygen, which caused epileptic seizures during my first few days as a new born child. I’m glad and grateful it only resulted in just some damage on the left side of my brains, causing a -what doctors call- motor disorder. Easiest way to explain it: I can’t move my right hand properly.”