|Profession(s)||Dental practitioner, Stand-up Comedian, Actor, Writer|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 7”
|Debut||TV: The Great Indian Laughter Challenge (2017)
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Winner of 94.3 Radio one FM LOL Contest (2015)
• Winner of Piano Man Tongue in Cheek (Delhi)
• Winner of Chalta Hai Comedy (Mumbai)
• He was also among the top 12 finalists of the TV show Great Indian Laughter Challenge on Star Plus judged by the Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar. (2017)
|Date of Birth||10 September 1984 (Monday)|
|Age (as in 2020)||36 Years|
|Hometown||Kaushambi, Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh
|School||Andhra Education Society Sri Durgabai Deshmukh Memorial School, New Delhi|
|College/University||ITS Dental College, Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh (2004)|
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor of Dental Surgery Indian Express|
|Caste||Vaishya (Baniya) The Indian Express|
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||17 February 2012|
|Wife/Spouse||Ankita Jhalani (Dentist)
|Children||Daughter- Advika Gupta
|Parents||Father- Sushil Gupta
Mother- Asha Gupta
|Comedians||Abhishek Upmanyu, Zakir Khan, Amit Tandon, Kunal Kamra, Jeeveshu Ahluwalia|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Gaurav Gupta
- Gaurav Gupta is an established stand-up comedian in the Indian comedy circuit. He is also a dentist by profession who came into limelight when one of his stand-up comedy videos went viral on WhatsApp.
- In 2015, Gaurav saw a few stand-up comedy videos of Sumit Anand and realized that it was something even he could pull-off. Therefore, he did an open-mic at Summer House Café in Hauz Khas, Delhi, but to his utter disappointment, it didn’t meet his expectations.
- Gaurav didn’t lose hope and prepared for his upcoming open mic for the next three months and emerged stronger than before. His next open-mic with Jeeveshu Ahluwalia at ‘Barrels’ in Vasant Vihar, New Delhi, turned out to be a big hit.
- In 2017, Gaurav made his debut on television with the show, The Great India Laughter Challenge. In the same year, he shot to fame when a stand-up video titled ‘Being Baniya,’ a recording of his show he performed in New Delhi’s Akshara Theatre that he had shared with some corporate houses, went viral. An anonymous person among those corporate houses downloaded and shared the video on WhatsApp. Although he never permitted anyone to do so, he is grateful for the event as it turned in his favour. In an interview, he said
I don’t know who among them downloaded the video and shared it on WhatsApp, but I’m grateful to that person. It made me popular and I started getting more shows.”
- His sets usually revolve around his life in Delhi, relatable family scenarios, and his keen observation of social situations. Belonging from the Baniya community himself, he excels at cracking jokes about the stereotypes of his community.
- The dentist has quite a busy schedule as during the day, he attends his patients in his clinic in Mayur Vihar, and by night, he is a comedian performing at open mics around Delhi-NCR.
- Gaurav Gupta has toured across several cities in India for his solo stand-up special, ‘Not Just Baniya,’ but when an interviewer asked: “Which city responds the best to his jokes?”, he replied,
Baniyas are everywhere so my jokes are lapped up in all Hindi-speaking areas. But people in Ghaziabad are yet to come around.”