|Full Name||Gauri Shinde|
|Profession(s)||Director, Writer, Producer, Screenplay Writer, Dialogue Writer|
|Famous For||Directing English Vinglish (2012)
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in feet inches- 5’ 7”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 60 kg
in pounds- 133 lbs
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Date of Birth||6 July 1974 (Saturday)|
|Age (as of 2023)||49 Years|
|Birthplace||Pune, Maharashtra, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Cancer|
|Hometown||Pune, Maharashtra, India|
|School||St Joseph's High School, Pune|
|College/University||Symbiosis Institute of Mass Communication, Pune|
|Educational Qualification||Graduated (mass communication) from Symbiosis Institute of Mass Communication in Pune|
|Debut||Film (Director, Story, Screenplay): English Vinglish (2012)
|Hobbies||Travelling, Watching Movies (Movie Marathons), Netflix|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• 14th IIFA Awards (Best Debut Director)
• 58th Filmfare Awards (Best Debut Director)
• Zee Cine Awards 2013 (Best Debut Director)
• 19th Annual Colors Screen Awards (Most Promising Debut Director)
• Max Stardust Awards (Best Debut Director)
• Laadli National Media Awards (Best Mainline Film)
• Star Guild Awards (Best Debut Director)
• Toifa Awards 2013 (Best Debut Director)
|Controversy||Dear Zindagi was said to be having strong similarities with Canadian TV series "Being Erica", which drew a lot of criticism on social media.
|Boys, Affairs and More|
|Parents||Father- Name Not Known
Mother- Vaishali Shinde
|Favourite Film||The Hours (2002), Blue Valentine (2010)|
|Favourite Actor(s)||Ranbir Kapoor, Ranveer Singh|
|Favourite Actress(s)||Deepika Padukone|
|Favourite thing to wear||Anything loose and airy|
|Favourite Colour(s)||White, Light Blue|
|Favourite Place to hang out in Mumbai||Olive Bar & Kitchen|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Gauri Shinde
- Gauri Shinde was born and brought up in the City of Pune, Maharashtra.
- Her aspirations towards films started at the fag end of her college days.
- Gauri Shinde went on to do a course in filmmaking in New York and made a short film there. The film also went to the Berlin International Film Festival.
- Gauri loved New York so much, that she promised herself that she will shoot her first movie there. That really happened six years later.
- Gauri met her husband and director R. Balki in the office lift of the building where she was shooting an ad film, but for her, Balki was just the new creative director everybody was talking about. She had seen him on a magazine cover where he was sitting on a basketball and remembers smirking at that cover. They got married in 2007 after years of dating.
- She draws her inspiration from her own life experiences.
- The inspiration for the film English Vinglish came from her mother Vaishali Shinde, who, like most people in India, struggled with the language. She even claims that she made the film to say sorry to her mother.
- Also, English Vinglish was much anticipated because it was the comeback of Sridevi after 15 years.
- The film went to the Toronto International Film Festival, and it got a standing ovation from all 2500 people there. It was then that Shinde realized that “maybe, I was on to something big.”
- Shinde loves to watch love stories like Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, Kal Ho Na Ho and Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna and would love to make a romantic movie. Also, she would like to work with Shah Rukh Khan and Alia Bhatt again.
- A genre she would never like to work on is Horror; as she is easily scared of the horror films.
- Gauri firmly believes in the power of the script and says that she will not start working on a new film till she is entirely convinced that the story is good enough to be a memorable one, because for her, “A film is not a ‘project’. It is life.”
- She feels strongly about her female characters and said that she will always put them firmly on the big screen.