|Nicknames||Dhing Express, Mon Jai, Golden Girl
|Famous For||Being India's first track and field gold medallist at the IAAF World Championships in 2018|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in feet inches- 5’ 5”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 50 kg
in pounds- 110 lbs
|Hair Colour||Brown (Right side of the head is dyed Blonde)|
|Track and Field|
|International Debut||In 2018 at the IAAF World U20 Championships|
|Coach/Mentor||• Nippon Das
• Nabajit Malakar
• Galina Bukharina
|Records (main ones)||• At the 2018 Asian Games, after clocking 51.00 in heat 1, Das set a new national record in India.
• On 26 August 2018, she improved the national record to 50.79 s.
|Medals||• Gold at the World U-20 Championships 2018 held at Tampere, Finland on 12 July 2018
• Silver in 400 m at the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta
• Gold in Mixed 4×400 m at the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta
• Gold in Women's 4×400 m at the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta
• Gold in 200 m in Poznan Athletics Grand Prix in Poland on 2 July 2019
• Gold in 200m at the Kutno Athletics Meet in Poland on 7 July 2019
• Gold in 200 m at the Kladno Athletics Meet in the Czech Republic on 13 July 2019
• Gold in 200 m at the Tabor Athletics Meet in the Czech Republic on 17 July 2019
• Gold in 400 m in Nove Mesto, the Czech Republic on 20 July 2019
|Awards, Honours||• Arjuna Award on 25 September 2018
• Appointed as India's first-ever youth ambassador of UNICEF-India on 14 November 2018
• Appointed as the Assam’s brand ambassador for sports by the Government of Assam
|Date of Birth||9 January 2000|
|Age (as in 2019)||19 Years|
|Birthplace||Kandhulimari Village, Dhing, Nagaon, Assam|
|Hometown||Dhing, Nagaon, Assam|
|School||Dhing Public High School|
|Educational Qualification||She passed the 12th-grade exam from Assam Higher Secondary Education Council in May 2019|
|Caste||Keot (Kaibarta)- Scheduled Caste|
|Hobbies||Playing Football, Shooting, Listening to Music, Watching Movies|
|Boys, Affairs & More|
|Parents||Father- Ronjit Das (farmer)
Mother- Jonali (farmer)
|Siblings||Brother- Basanta (younger)
Sister(s)- Rinti Das (younger), Barsha (youngest)
|Favourite Track Athlete||Ashwini Akkunji|
|Favourite Football Player||Nicolás Vélez (Argentina)|
|Favourite Cricketer(s)||M. S. Dhoni, Sachin Tendulkar|
|Favourite Singer(s)||Zubeen Garg, Papon|
|Favourite Film(s)||Mon Jaai (a 2008 Assamese language film), Mission China (a 2017 Assamese language film)|
|Favourite Bollywood Actor||Akshay Kumar|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Hima Das
- Prior to getting into the track & field event, Hima was interested in Football. She used to play football with boys at her school and even wanted to pursue her career in Football.
- Later, Hima opted sprint as her career; upon advice from a school physical education teacher named Shamsul Hoque.
- Nippon (Hima’s Coach) spotted her during an inter-district meet. He says-
She was wearing cheap spikes, but she won gold in the 100 and 200. She ran like the wind. I hadn’t seen such a talent in ages.”
- The coach pressurized Hima to shift to Guwahati, 140 km away from her village and convinced her that she had a future in athletics.
- Hima was first trained in Guwahati’s Sarusajai stadium by head coach Nipon Das and Nabajit Malakar.
- In Guwahati, Hima Das, who was used to running 100 m and 200 m, was asked to switch to 400 m.
- Her parents were initially reluctant to let her go, but, later, they agreed.
- Hima’s father, Ronjit Das, was a fast runner himself. He says-
When Hima told me that she wanted to pursue sports, I saw no point in stopping her. Her passion is real. And there’s no stopping passion like that.”
- After winning the gold medal in the World U20 Championship, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi congratulated her on Twitter.
- Indian President Ram Nath Kovind also congratulated her on Twitter.
- The Athletics Federation of India (AFI) mocked her English prior to winning event, but later it apologized after Das grabbed the gold medal.
- In the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast, Australia, she finished sixth in women’s 400-meter final.
- In August 2018, she won a Silver Medal in the Asian Games held in Indonesia.
- On 25 September 2018, the Government of India conferred Hima Das with the Arjuna Award.
- Hima Das is a big fan of Sachin Tendulkar and in September 2018, she received a jersey signed by Sachin Tendulkar.
- In October 2018, GQ India Magazine featured Hima Das on its cover as the “Young Indian of the Year.”
- In July 2019, Hima Das created sensations in India after winning five gold medals in a single month.
- After Bhogeswar Baruah, Hima is the first athlete from Assam to win a gold medal at an international event.
- Hima Das is the Brand Ambassador of Assam Fire and Emergency Services.
Sponsored View this post on Instagram
জুই যিকোনো মূহুৰ্ততে যিকোনো ঠাইতে লাগিব পাৰে । গতিকে সহজতে জুই লাগিব পৰা উৎস বোৰৰ পৰা সতৰ্ক হওঁক যাতে আকস্মিক ভাৱে ঘটা এনেধৰণৰ ঘটনাৰ পৰা হাত সাৰিব পাৰি!!! আপোনাৰ অকন সতৰ্কতা তথা সাৱধানতাই আপোনাৰ জীৱনতো বিপদ মুক্ত কৰি তুলিব ।। Fire may take any time, so be alert and careful with all the things happening in the fire. ASSAM FIRE & EMERGENCY SERVICES, বিপদ বন্ধু বিপদ বন্ধু!!
- Hima Das is also the brand ambassador of Adidas.
- Hima campaigns to break archaic taboos like menstruation and openly advocates for women empowerment.
- In an interview, Hima’s father said-
When she was 7, she used to tell me ‘Deuta (Father), I want to fly on an airplane one day’. But look at her today — she’s done so much more than that.”
- Here’s an interesting video about Hima Das’ biography: