Some Lesser Known Facts About Hima Das
- Prior to getting into track, Hima was interested in Football. She used to play football with boys.
- Nipon (Hima’s Coach) spotted her during an inter-district meet. “She was wearing cheap spikes, but she won gold in the 100 and 200. She ran like the wind. I hadn’t seen such a talent in ages,” Nipon said.
- The coach pressurized Hima to shift to Guwahati, 140 km away from her village and convinced her that she had a future in athletics.
- Her parents were initially reluctant to let her go but later they agreed.
- After winning the gold medal in the World U20 Championship, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi congratulated her on Twitter.
- Indian President Ram Nath Kovind also congratulated her on Twitter.
- The Athletics Federation of India (AFI) mocked her English prior to winning event, but later it apologized after Das grabbed the gold medal.
- In the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast, Australia, she finished sixth in women’s 400-meter final.
- In August 2018, she won a Silver Medal in the Asian Games held in Indonesia.
- On 25 September 2018, the Government of India conferred Hima Das with the Arjuna Award.
- In November 2018, she was appointed first youth ambassador of UNICEF India.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of IPL Winners (2008-2018)