Age: 35 Years
Hometown: Nileshwar, Kasaragod District, Kerala
|Profession(s)||Actress, Singer, Dancer, Lyricist|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 163 cm
in meters- 1.63 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 4”
|Debut||• Malayalam Films: Pookkalam Varavayi (1991; as a child actress) as ‘Geethu’s friend (Baby Shamili)’
Chandranudikkunna Dikhil (1991; as an adult) as 'Radha'
Tamil Film: Kasi (2000) as Lakshmi
• Singing: “Mounamaay Manassil” from the Malayalam film “Matinee” (2012)
• Album: Kavyadalangal (2012)
• As a Lyricist: “En Kalbilulloru” from the Malayalam Film "One Way Ticket” (2008)
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Filmfare Award South for Best Actress for the film “Gaddama” in 2011
Kerala State Film Awards
• Best Actress for the film “Perumazhakkalam” in 2004
• Best Actress for the film “Gaddama” in 2011
Kerela Films critics Association Awards
• Second Best Actress for the film “Chandranudikkunna Dikhil” in 1999
• Second Best Actress for the film “Kochu Kochu Santhoshangal” in 2000
• Second Best Actress for the film “Mizhi Randilum” in 2003
• Best Actress for the film “Perumazhakkalam” in 2004
• Best Actress for the film “Ananthabhadram” in 2005
• Best Actress for the film ”Gaddama” in 2011
Note: Kavya Madhavan has received many awards and nominations, apart from the awards mentioned above.
|Date of Birth||19 September 1984 (Wednesday)|
|Age (as in 2019)||35 Years|
|Birthplace||Nileshwar, Kasaragod District, Kerala|
|Hometown||Nileshwar, Kasaragod, Kerala|
|School||• Jaycee English Medium School, Nileshwar
• GLP School, Nileshwar
• Rajah’s High School, Nileshwar
|Hobbies||Cooking, Reading, Writing, and Dancing|
|Controversies||• Kavya and Dileep have done more than 18 movies together, which often left people to speculate about them as a couple. People blamed Kavya for his divorce with Manju Warrier in 2015. She was termed as ‘the other woman’ in their life, even though Kavya and Dileep kept on denying their relationship.The Indian Express
• Dileep and Kavya married each other in a private ceremony at the Kochi's Vedanta Hotel in 2016. To clarify things about their marriage, Dileep gave certain statements. However, the statements were considered as ‘sexist’ and ‘male chauvinistic.’ In an interview, Dileep said-
"When I felt I should get married, my daughter, mother, relatives and friends sat together and we came up with this decision. My ‘koottukaari’ (friend) is someone who’s been gossiped about a lot, because of me. So I thought if I got married to somebody else, it just wouldn’t be right (laughs). Hence, this decision…”
While Dileep was being subjected to criticism, Kavya was slammed for being a silent spectator and a puppet of his hand.Times of India
• An actress, who worked in the Tamil and Telugu Cinema was abducted and allegedly molested in her car on the night of 17 February 2017. The event created huge roars in the film industry, splashing mud on the faces of the big names like Dileep, and his wife Kavya. The main accused of the case, Pulsar Suni, labelled Kavya as the ‘Madam,’ who gave him the money to assault the actress. However, he also stated that ‘Madam’ only handed him the money and had no connection with the case.Outlook India
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||First Marriage: 9 February 2009
Second Marriage: 25 November 2016
|Marriage Place||Vedanta Hotel, Kochi (second marriage)|
|Husband/Spouse||• First Husband: Nishal Chandra (actor; 9 February 2009-30 May 2011)
• Second Husband: Dileep
Daughter- Mahalakshmi (from her second marriage with Dileep; born on 19 October 2018)
Step Daughter- Meenakshi (Dileep's daughter from his first marrige to Manju Warrier)
|Parents||Father- P Madhavan
Mother- Shyamala Madhavan
|Siblings||Brother- Mithun Madhavan (Fashion Designer and Producer)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Kavya Madhavan
- Kavya Madhavan was born in a Malayali Family in the Nileshwar town of Kasaragod, Kerala. Times of India
- During her childhood, she took the training of the Bharatanatyam and Mohinyattam Classical dance forms.
- Kavya Madhavan was taught classical dances by her mentors Guru Shyamala and Guru Kuttamathu Janardhanan Maash.
- Apart from her academics, she also showed interest in extracurricular activities during her childhood and used to perform at various events.
- Kavya started her career as a child actor at the age of 5, with the film “Pookkalam Varavayi” (1991). She further appeared as a child actor in the films like “Pavam IA Ivachan” (1994), “Parassala Pachan Payyannur Paramu” (1994), and “Azhakiya Ravanan” (1996).
- Kavya’s entry into film industry happened because of her father’s desire to see his daughter as an actress. Her father, P Madhavan saw an advertisement by the director Kamal in the daily ‘Malayala Manorma,’ seeking a child actor for his upcoming film. After which, Kavya’s father decider to send her photos. Kavya was selected and was cast in ‘Pookkalam Varavayi’ (1991).
- Unlike her father, Kavya’s mother didn’t want her to become an actress; instead, she wanted her daughter to complete her studies and get married. Gradually, she fixed her discomfort regarding the film industry and let Kavya become an actress.
- In her childhood, people used to mock her because of her deep voice. One day, Mammooty was unable to dub due to his busy schedule. Someone said to her that she should dub it for Mammooty, as he was unable to do so. She felt dismayed and started crying. Her mother consoled her and told her that she should be proud of her voice, as Mammooty had a grand voice.
- She appeared as the lead actress in several hit Malayalam films such as “Darling Darling” (2000), “Meesa Madhavan” (2002), “Sadanandante Samayam” (2003), “Runway” (2004), “Inspector Garud” (2007), “Paappi Appacha” (2010), “Vellaripravinte Changathi” (2011), and “Pinneyum” (2016).
- She has also done some short films such as “Bhoomikkoru Charamageetham” (2006), “Kaavalal” (2016), and “Kachadhappa” (2016).
- She has also sung for the Malayalam film “Daivame Kaithozham K Kumarakanam” (2018).
- Kavya also penned down the lyrics for the song “Kalaam Neeangu Poyo” from the film “Akashvani (2016).”
- In 2013, she published a book of memoirs titled “Kathayil Alpam Kavyam,” which provides a glimpse of her childhood, experiences of her school days, and recollections of her time in the film industry.
- In an interview, Kavya revealed that Dileep’s family approached her family with a marriage proposal just a week before their wedding. She stated-
Just a week before, his relatives approached my parents with the proposal. They checked our horoscopes and it matched”
- Kavya’s daughter Mahalakshmi was born on 19 October 2018; reportedly, it was her stepdaughter Meenakshi, who suggested the name for her younger sister.
- In 2015, Kavya founded the textile company and online fashion store ‘Laksyah’ with her brother and sister-in-law; both of them are fashion designers.
- She has been a brand ambassador of various products such as Nirapara, Parachute, A Geeripai Jewellery, Dhathri, Dubai Gold and Diamonds, V.G.N Jewellers, Smartex, Kosamattam Gold Loan, Anashwara Silks, and Slipons.
- In an interview, she once stated that if not an actor, she would have been a homemaker and have 2-3 children.
- Apart from being an actor, she is an ace Bharatanatyam dancer and is often seen performing at various events.