Some Lesser Known Facts About Laurie Hernandez
- Does Laurie Hernandez smoke?: Not Known
- Does Laurie Hernandez drink alcohol?: Not Known
- Laurie jumped 20 places in her position in one year. She had placed 21st in the year 2012 and was first in National Championships in St. Louis and scored the first position in the ground exercises and second in all-round at the American Classic in Huntsville, Texas.
- She competed against the top-tier gymnasts like Ragan Smith, Gabby Douglas and Aly Raisman at the City of Jesolo Trophy in Italy. She earned a silver and a gold medal beating Ragan Smith and the Olympics Gold medalist Aly Raisman.
- Hernandez finished second in the all-round US Olympic trials and was placed on the 2016 US Olympic Team.
- She gave up competing in the NCAA and is officially a professional athlete now. She will join University of Florida in 2018 and continue being an NCAA athlete.
- She is going to perform on the uneven bars, vault, balance beam, floor exercise, team all-round and individual all-round in the Olympics.
- Laurie is the first American-born Latina who is going to participate in the Olympics since 1984.
- Hernandez’s parents had put her into dance classes but she never really was moved by it. Even the cookie bribe didn’t work, although she used the skill in gymnastics. She was inspired to do gymnastics, after she watched a performance on TV.
- She was nicknamed Baby Shakira by Jessica O’Beirne when she appeared on the GymCastic in 2013. O’Beirne said “You lit up the whole room. It was like, when you were on the floor, it was like Beyonce and Michael Jackson and Shakira all showed up at once and started doing gymnastics.”
- She started doing gymnastics when she was only five years old.
- Laurie turns out to to be her coach Maggie Haney’s first elite gymnast. Maggie has been the only coach that she has trained with since she was 5.
- She would’ve liked to be an actress if she wasn’t a gymnast.
- The training takes her 5-6 hours a day for six days a week.
- Laurie obviously has to have a healthy diet; which she manages by eating oatmeal and fruit for breakfast followed by a cereal bar for her snack. Her lunch is the heaviest meal consisting of brown rice, vegetables and some healthy. The dinner is the same except for the carbs from brown rice.
- She collects key chains and tickets from wherever she goes travelling.
- Her folks call her human emoji because she is very bubbly.
- Laurie’s choreography is designed in a way to just let her be. Her strength is the balance beam and her performance on it was near perfect in the Olympics.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of ICC World Cup Winners (1975-2015)