Real Name Gabrielle Christina Victoria Douglas
Nickname Flying Squirrel, Golden Gabby, Brie.
Profession Artistic gymnastics
Physical Stats & More
Height in centimeters- 157 cm
in meters- 1.57 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 2”
Weight in Kilograms- 61 kg
in Pounds- 134.5 lbs
Body Measurements (approx.) 32-24-33
Eye Colour Black
Hair Colour Black
International Debut 2011 World Championships.
Coach/Mentor Christian Gallardo
Kittia Carpenter, Dena Walker, Gustavo Moure, Liang Chow
Career Turning Point 2012 Olympics
Date of Birth 31 December 1995
Age (as in 2016) 21 Years
Birth Place Newport News, Virginia
Zodiac sign/Sun sign Capricorn
Hometown Des Moines, Iowa.
Educational Qualifications High School
Family Father- Timothy Douglas
Mother- Natalie Hawkins
Sisters- Joyelle and Arielle
Hobbies Singing, knitting, playing piano, dancing,
Favorite Food Chaocolate, Matzo ball soup. Italian and Mexican.
Favorite Pets Cats and Dogs
Favorite TV shows The Real Housewives of Atlanta, Vampire Diaries and Psych, ABC Family show about gymnasts, Make It or Break It.
Favorite Artists Lil Wayne, Drake and Katy Perry
Favorite Color Yellow
Favorite Artists Lil Wayne, Drake and Katy Perry
Favorite Destination Bora bora.
Favorite Song "Girl on Fire" by Alicia Keys
Favorite Book Twilight
Girls, Family & More
Marital Status Unmarried
Sexual Orientation Straight
Affairs/Boyfriends Not known
Net Worth (approx.) $3 million
House She owns an apartment in Los Angeles, California, USA
Car Mercedes sedan
Some Lesser Known Facts About Gabby Douglas
- Does Gabby Douglas smoke?: No
- Does Gabby Douglas drink alcohol?: Not Known
- Gabby almost quit gymnastics because of the bad atmosphere they had at the Virginia gym. She said she was tortured by her fellow gymnasts, who sometimes, were racists too. She has been commented on as a “slave” too! It was only until she shifted to Des Moines, Iowa , where she trained with former Olympian Shawn Johnson.
- She was the part of the American US team in the 2012 Olympics along with Aly Raisman and three other teammates. She contributed to winning a gold for the team.
- Gabby, more than Gabby, her mother was criticized for the untidy that Gabby had at the Olympics. They said it looked not done and messy. Her mother in defense, said that there are no black parlors where she is living with the hosts.
- She has been part of the team that has won golds in the 2011 and 2015 World Championship.
- She won a silver medal for her all-round performance in the 2015 World Championships.
- Douglas is the first American-African woman to win a all-round gymnatics championship in the Olympics and first American to win the all-round as well as team events in the same Olympic meet.
- Gabby is the first American woman to win multiple all-round medals in the same Olympic meet.
- She is the first woman since 1981, who re-entered the World Championships.
- Gabby Douglas’ success has attracted attention from the media. She has been a part of the 2012 Lifetime biopic film, The Gabby Douglas Story.
- Gabby has also acquired the reality series Douglas Family Gold.
- She has been training since the age of six after her sister convinced her mom to enroll Gabby in the gymnastics class. She started training at Gymstrada in 2002.
- Gabby won the 2008 Virginia state Championship when she was mere eight years old.
- Douglas moved to Des Moines, Iowa to train under the coach Liang Chow. As her parents had to stay in Virginia for her siblings to finish their school, she lived with Missy Parton and Travis, along with their four daughters. One of Parton’s daughters used to go to train with Chow as well.
- Gabby fractured her wrist in 2009 and could not participate in the 2009 Cover-girl event. This did not stop her from doing the sport and she participated in other competitions even when she could not do all the routines, she did the ones she could manage with the fracture.
- She was amazed how coach Laing Chow taught her the Amanar vault in just one afternoon.
- Gabby also suffered a hamstring strain and a hip flexor injury in July, 2012. This helped her substitute her time in the bar events, which made her better at the bar routine.
- Douglas won the 2016 AT&T American Cup and the all-round contest at the 2016 City of Jesolo Trophy.
- In 2012, Gabby, along with her team appeared on the Soprts Illustrated magazine’s cover. She was also on one of the Time magazine’s cover in July’12.
- She released her autobiography Grace, Gold, and Glory: My Leap of Faith in December, 2012. It debuted at number fout in the New York Times’ young best time.
- Kellogg’s put her picture on the box of cereals, after she won the gold medal in Olympics.
- If it wasn’t gymnastics, she would have liked to be an actress.
- She believes school is overrated as she, along with her siblings, has been home-schooled. Se likes it this way as she could get a lot of time to learn piano and knitting.
- It was calculated by a Vanity Fair writer, that Douglas has spent 18000 hours practicing in ten years from 2006 to 2016.
- Her mother said rain is “God’s manifestation; a big day’s waiting to happen.” The day Gabby won her, it was raining too and she made a phone call to her mother early in the day saying “It’s raining. You know what that means.”
- Douglas has two dogs: Zoway, a black Labrador and Rottweiler mix; a white Morkie, a Maltese and Yorkie mix. She was sad that she had to leave them back in Virginia when she went to Iowa.
- She hosted the show, Runway to Hope Spring Fashion Soiree in Orelando, with the Twilight Saga actress Ashley Greene and the event raised $700,000 for the pediatric cancer patients.
- She eats Salmon before meet.
- Ian Somerhalder is her celebrity crush.
- Gabby is a night person. She practices in the day; I wonder when she sleeps!
- She likes pickles, but sour pickle, not the sweet ones.
- All of her siblings were into some or the other form of sports. Her sister Joelle did figure skating, her brother did martial arts, track and football and her sister Arielle was a ballroom dancer.
- Gabby Douglas threw out the first pitch before the New York Mets match, hosting the Colorado Rockies at Citi Field.