Age: 30 Years
Hometown: Busan, South Korea
|Profession(s)||Singer, Songwriter, Musician & Actor|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height Daum||in centimeters- 182 cm
in meters- 1.82 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 11.6”
|Debut||As a Member of CNBLUE (In Japan)
EP: Now or Never (19 August 2009)
Full-Length Album: Thank U (2010)
As a Member of CNBLUE (In Korea)
EP: Bluetory (14 January 2010)
Full-Length Album: First Step (2011)
As a Solo Artist
Single: My Love from the K-drama "A Gentleman’s Dignity" (2012)
Album: Sparkling Night (2016; In Japan)
Film (As an Actor): Acoustic (2010) as ‘Kim Seong-won’ in the segment 'Bakery Attack'
K-drama (As an Actor): A Gentleman's Dignity (2012) as ‘Collin Black'
Japanese Film (As an Actor): Ikiru Machi (2018) as 'Do-hyun'
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||As a Member of CNBLUE
• Top Chinese Music Awards - Foreign Popular Group Award in 2015
• SBS Gayo Daejeon - Syrup Best Band Award in 2015
• YinYueTai V-Chart Awards - Best Band Award in 2014
• Gaon Chart Music Awards - Hallyu Special Award in 2013
• Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism Commendation (Government of South Korea) in 2011
• Seoul Music Awards - Rookie Award in 2010
Golden Disc Awards
• Disk Bonsang for the albums ‘First Step’ in 2012, ‘Re: Blue’ in 2014, ‘Can't Stop’ for 2015, and ‘2gether’ in 2016
• Digital Music Bonsang for the songs ‘I'm a Loner’ and ‘Love’ in 2010, ‘Intuition’ in 2012, and ‘I'm Sorry’ in 2014
• Popularity Award in 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015
• Best Asian Group Award in 2012
Mnet Asian Music Awards (MAMA)
• Best Band Performance for the songs ‘Intuition’ in 2011, ‘Can't Stop’ in 2015, ‘Cinderella’ in 2015, and ‘You’re So Fine’ in 2016
• Best Male Rookie for the song ‘Love’ in 2010
Melon Music Awards (MMA)
• Music Style - Best Rock for ‘Intuition’ in 2011 and ‘Can't Stop’ in 2014
• Top 10 in 2010
• Best Newcomer Award in 2010
As a Solo Artist
• 22nd Seoul Music Awards for Best Ost for ‘My Love’ from the K-drama “A Gentleman's Dignity” in 2013
• SBS Drama Awards - New Star Award for the K-drama “A Gentleman's Dignity” in 2012
|Date of Birth||15 May 1990 (Tuesday)|
|Age (as in 2020)||30 Years|
|Birthplace||Busan, South Korea|
|Hometown||Busan, South Korea|
|School||• Songdo Elementary School, Busan
• Songdo Middle School, Busan
• Gyeongnam Commercial High School, Busan
• School of Performing Arts Seoul
|College/University||Kyung Hee Cyber University, Seoul|
|Educational Qualification||Graduated from Kyung Hee Cyber University, Seoul|
|Hobbies||He regards acting, singing, and playing the guitar as his hobbies. He also likes fishing and snowboarding.|
|Controversies||• In August 2019, a YouTuber named Park Min Jung posted the screenshots of inappropriate messages sent to her by Lee Jong-hyun. Following this, many people started criticizing Jong-hyun, which also brought attention to Jong-hyun’s involvement in the Burning Sun Scandal. After the controversy, Jong-hyun deleted his Instagram account, and his agency, FNC Entertainment released a statement on the behalf of Jong-hyun that he was leaving CNBLUE, and apologized for his behaviour and wrongdoings. The Independent
• Burning Sun Scandal (February 2018- February 2019): The Burning Sun Scandal laid up in the club (Burning Sun) owned by Lee Seung-hyun (better known as Seungri), which involved many of the big names in Korea with allegations spanning sexual assault, prostitution, drug distribution, hidden camera footage, tax evasion, and police corruption; Jong-hyun being one of the celebrities associated with the scandal. His agency denied his involvement in the matter. However, an 8 ‘0’ clock news program reported Jong-hyun's involvement with a proof that he was in a one-to-one chatroom with Jung Joon-Hyung (a singer-songwriter) and had a lewd conversation and degraded women in the chatroom. Later, he admitted that he had watched sex videos shared by Jung and made disparaging remarks on women. Billboard
• In June 2016, Jong-hyun and one other member of CNBLUE were under investigation for insider trading of FNC stocks. Reportedly, they got the information that FNC Entertainment was signing with a popular celebrity and without the reports, Jonghyun purchased the stocks. But, he soon realized that it was wrong to sell the stocks and kept it to himself, which landed him in trouble. While the other member was found innocent, Jong-hyun was charged with a fine of 20 million won (Rs. 12.32 lakhs). Soompi
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||During the shooting of a TV show, it was found that he was once in a relationship with a girl named Suzy.|
|Parents||Names not known
Sister(s)- 2 (elder)
|Guitarist(s)||Richie Kotzen, Eric Clapton|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Lee Jong-hyun
- When Lee Jong-hyun was four years old, his family moved to Japan. After spending a few years in Japan, they moved back to Busan.
- Before becoming a K-pop star, he was a Judo athlete. He won a gold medal in a Judo Championship held in his hometown when he was studying in high school. Once, when he was defeated just in few seconds in a Judo match, he realised that Judo was not his area of expertise, and he shifted his attention to music.
- After realizing his interest in music, he started learning the piano. One day, while watching TV, he heard English singer-songwriter and guitarist, Eric Clapton, playing the guitar and was deeply inspired to learn guitar.
- He was an Ulzzang at BEST NINE before making his debut. The term Ulzzang is a popular term in South Korea, which simply means a good-looking person. The Ulzzang is chosen through voting in an online contest.
- When a talent scouter from FNC Entertainment (then FNC Music) reached Busan to contact Jung Yong-hwa (actor, fellow member CNBLUE), he noticed Lee Jong-hyun on a street and suggested him to audition at their company. Jong-hyun went for auditions, passed it and began training in bass technology at the FNC Academy.
- He met Jung Young-hwa, a member of CNBLUE on his way to FNC-auditions at Seoul Station. Both of them then met Kang Min-hyuk at the auditions, and the three eventually cleared the auditioned.
- CNBLUE was formed with four members- Jung Yong-hwa, Kang Min-hyuk, Kong Kwang-jin, and Lee Jong-hyun. In early 2009, the band (CNBLUE) gave its first performance at the entrance of Shinjuku Station in Tokyo, Japan. By the mid of June 2009, the band had already started giving live performances on the streets and live clubs.
- CNBLUE made their debut with the EP ‘Now or Never’ in Japan with Lee Jong-hyun as their lead artist. The EP was totally in English language and failed to make onto music charts. Their second EP ‘Voice’ was both in English and Japanese and made it 227th number and lasted for two weeks on the charts.
- CNBLUE has many hit Japanese albums and EPs, like Code Name Blue(2011), What Turns You On? (2013), Wave (2014), Colors (2015), Euphoria (2016), and Stay Gold (2017).
- The song ‘I’m a Loner’ from the album ‘Bluetory’ was their debut Korean single. The band had their first televised stage performance on KBC Music Bank on 15 January 2010.
- A few of CNBLUE’s hit Korean albums and EPs are, First Step +1 Thank You (2011), Ear Fun (2013), Can’t Stop (2014), 2gether (2015), Blueming (2016), and 7ºCN (2017).
- Few of the hit singles (both Japanese and Korean) by the band are, I’m a Loner, Intuition, Hey You, I’m Sorry, Cinderella, Where You Are, Robot, Truth, White, Puzzle, and Shake.
- His first single ‘My Love’ was released as a part of the original soundtrack of the K-drama “A Gentleman’s Dignity” in 2012.
- In December 2013, Jong-hyun formed a duo ‘Romantic J’ with Juniel, a fellow labelmate and singer-songwriter. The duo released a single ‘Love Falls,’ which was composed by Jong-hyun and written by Juniel. The song peaked at #27 on the Melon Chart.
- Lee Jong-hyun released his second Japanese album “Metropolis” in 2018.
- He has also acted in a few K-dramas, including Orange Marmalade (2015), My Only Love Song (2017), Lingerie Girls Generation (2017), and That Man Oh Soo (2018).
- In 2019, he left CNBLUE; after facing backlash over sending inappropriate messages to a YouTuber, which brought light to his involvement in the ‘Burning Sun Scandal’ (2019).
- Jong-hyun enlisted to his mandatory military service in August 2018. In March 2020, it was reported that he would be discharged from his military service on 25 March 2020, according to COVID-19 Protocol.