|Name Earned||The Jewel of Indie Films Dramabeans|
|Famous Role||'Kim Ki-jung' in the film "Parasite" (2019)
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height Artist Company - Artist Profile||in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 5”
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Brown (She has dyed her hair teal, golden blond, golden brown, etc.)|
|Agency||Artist Company (August 2017-Present)|
|Debut||Short Film: No More No Less (2013) as 'School Girl'
Feature Film: Steel Cold Winter (2013) as 'Ji-Yeon'
TV: Crimpson Moon/Red Moon (2015) as 'Princess Hwawan'
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• 2020: Screen Actors Guild Awards - Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Motion Picture for the film "Parasite"
• 2016: Blue Dragon Film Awards - Best Supporting Actress for the film "The Priests"
• 2016: Baeksang Arts Awards - Best New Actress (Film) for "The Priests"
• 2016: Buil Film Awards - Best Supporting Actress for the film "The Priests"
• 2015: Busan Film Critics Awards - Best New Actress for the film "The Silenced"
|Date of Birth||8 September 1991 (Sunday)|
|Age (as in 2019)||28 Years|
|School||Jangsin Girl's High School, Seoul, South Korea|
|College/University||Korea National University of Arts, Seoul, South Korea|
|Educational Qualification||Major in Acting from Korea National University of Arts, Seoul, South Korea|
|Relationships & More|
|Siblings||Brother- 1 (Younger)
Sister- 1 (Younger)
|Food||Kimbap, Shrimp, Kimchi, Sundubu-jjigae, Ramyeon, Jajangmyeon|
|Actress||Kim Hye-soo, Charlize Theron|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Park So-dam
- Does she drink alcohol?: Yes Dramabeans
- Park So-dam is a South Korean actress who won the international acclaim for playing the role of ‘Kim Ki-jung’ in the 2019 film “Parasite.” She is considered as ‘The Jewel of Indie Films.’
- When she was in high school, she went to see the musical “Grease,” which influenced her to become an actress. Talking about it, she said,
When I was in high school, I went to see the musical Grease and thought the artists looked so happy, singing and sweating as they ran around the stage, That’s when I decided what I wanted to do. I thought, ‘I want a life as fun and happy as theirs,’ and began dreaming of acting.”
- When she was pursuing her graduation, she gave auditions for many films but faced rejections. According to So-dam, she almost auditioned for seventeen projects in a month.
- At the beginning of her career, she went through identity crisis and often questioned herself about her choices, and her aspirations. Talking about those time, So-dam said,
I was pondering a lot on what it was that I was good at, so instead of choosing my projects, I often ended up doing things here and there.”
- At first, her family dismissed her idea of becoming an actress, as they worried about the fact that she might have to go through difficulties as an actress, but finally, they relented. Talking about it, she said,
After they saw me coming home at night, exhausted, but happy, then they became more supportive, because they wanted me to be happy. That was the biggest motivation for me, support from my family. I was also lucky enough to meet such amazing people in the industry and that kept me going.”
- After making her debut with the short “No More No Less” (2013), she starred in “Steel Cold Winter” (2013), and the Korean Academy Film Arts feature film “Ingtoogi: The Battle of Internet Trolls” (2013).
- She played small roles in the films, The Legacy (2014), Scarlet Innocence (2014), Suzi (2014), The Royal Tailor (2015) and was cast in the blockbuster hits, The Silenced (2015), Veteran (2015), The Throne (2015), The Priests (2015), Man of Will (2017), Ode to the Gose (2018), Parasite (2019), and Fukuoka ( 2019).
- Park So-dam was selected out of 2000 girls, who had come to audition for the role of ‘Lee Young-shin’ for the film “The Priest” (2015). Talking about the selection process and how she was able to get the film, So-dam said,
I went through four rounds of the audition process. I didn’t know there were 2000 people trying out. At the time, Black Priests had made headlines for auditioning newbie actresses who were willing to shave their heads. They’re not really going to shave my head. Are they?” was my thought process, but at the second round, they told us to put on the wig, and I realized they were actually going to make us do it. When I put on the wig, the people there complimented me, “It looks really good on you,” and I was in a daze. I’m not someone with striking looks, and with long hair, I could have easily blended in with the crowd. But the director who saw me at the second round of auditions said, “This girl has a unique aura.” I think the short-hair wig changed my fate in the audition process.”
- After acting in the 2015 KBS Drama Special “Crimpson Moon/Red Moon,” she has starred in many K-dramas including, My First Time (2015), A Beautiful Mind (2016), Cinderella with Four Knights (2016), and A Record of Youth (2020).
- In 2019, she participated in the Korean reality cooking show “Three Meals a Day: Mountain Village.”
- She made her theatre debut with “Let Me In” (2016) as ‘Eli.’ Subsequently, she starred in plays, Closer (2016) and The Student and Mr. Henri (2017).
- Her role model is South Korean actress Kim Hye-soo, who has acted in the popular South Korean films like, 3 Extremes II (2002), The Thieves (2012), and Coin Locker Girl (2015). In an interview, talking about Hye-soo, So-dam said,
I have tremendous respect for her. I think it’s so cool that her acting experience covers such a wide spectrum, and I want to be like that.
- Her film “Parasite,” which was directed by Bong Joon-ho won Palme d’Or at Cannes Film Festival in 2019, and three Academy Awards in 2020.
- Park So dam played the role of ‘Ki-jung,’ the daughter of the character of Song Kang-ho in “Parasite.” On the sets of “Parasite,” she developed a strong bond with Kang-ho. According to So-dam, she still calls Kang-ho as ‘Appa’ (father), instead of Sunbae (Senior). Talking about Kang-ho, So-dam said,
It was such a pleasure to meet someone as amazing as Song Kang Ho. To have him as a father and to be able to call him, “papa” was such an amazing experience. He’s someone I’m going to hang on to for life because I want to learn so much from him and take from him.”
- Park So-dam, and the senior South Korean actress, Park Won-sook are close relatives; as Park Won-sook is the cousin of Park So-dam’s grandfather.
- Park So-dam, and Korean actresses, Kim Go-eun and Lee Yoo-young were classmates in their college days.
- So-dam usually drinks with her high school buddies or actor friends that she has made through work.
According to her, usually, she drinks a can of beer and can drink a bottle of soju. Talking about her drinking habits, she said,
Drinking habits? My friends say my speech slows down. I think it’s because even in the haze of alcohol, I try to convey my point as accurately as possible.”
References/Sources: [ + ]