Some Lesser Known Facts About Lekha Washington
- Lekha Washington was born to a father of mixed Burmese, Italian and Punjabi ancestry and a Maharashtrian mother.
- During her time in filmmaking, she made three short films called Spoonerism, Catch 22, and Sunn with locations ranging from Myanmar to Mauritius.
- Lekha is currently juggling three careers- an actress, an artist and an entrepreneur and recently she became lyricist by writing two songs for the movie Rangoon (2017); Be Still, and Shimmy Shake.
- As an actress, she has done more than 15 films in Tamil, Telugu Kannada and two of which were the unreleased Bollywood movies starring big stars like Amitabh Bachchan, Anil Kapoor and Ajay Devgn.
- She initially started as a sculptor as she believes the “sculpting just comes naturally” to her. The first time she got her hands dirty, sculpting, was when she was eight, making human heads out of a roll of fresh flour dough.
- Lekha hosted her first exhibition in the Lalit Kala Akademi at the age of 18 in Chennai.
- Born and brought up in Chennai, Lekha currently lives in Mumbai in an ancestral house. It is in Bandra’s Ranwar village and is about 150 years old. The first storey of the building has Lekha’s studio.
- She also runs a product design company called AJJI, named after her late grandmother Bhavatharani Ghorpade whom Lekha describes as creative, determined, pig-headed and a path-breaker and was quite an influence on her.
- As a product designer, she has created many products, the main ones including The Pink Sink, a chair that looks like there’s no way you can sit on it until you do, and then you realise it’s very comfortable.
- Another is The Drop, as the name suggests; it is the chair that looks like a drop falling from the ceiling.
- The best of her work is The Dot, a chair easily hinges on the wall, much like an LED television, and is very comfortable to sit on. The basic idea behind The Dot was a ‘bindi’.
- The Dot was featured on the cover of India Today, with Deepika Padukone seated on it. Another one of her furniture The Atoms was also featured on the India Today cover with Katrina Kaif, Ranveer Singh, Sachin Tendulkar, Deepak Chopra and Abdullah Abdullah.
- In 2018 Lekha started a new project called “This Too Shall Pass – Moondancer”, a 12-foot helium globe modelled on the moon, designed to rotate on its axis, reflecting the changing phases of the lunar cycle and was selected to be showcased at the Burning Man Festival held each year in the Black Rock City of western United States.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of IPL Winners (2008-2018)