|Full Name||Muthuvel Karunanidhi Alagiri|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 167 cm
in meters- 1.67 m
in feet inches- 5’ 6”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 85 kg
in pounds- 190 lbs
|Political Party||Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK)
|Political Journey||• 2009: Won the Madurai Lok Sabha Constituency in the 2009 general elections.
• 31 May 2009: Became a member of the Union Cabinet Minister, chemicals and fertilizers.
• 24 January 2014: He was removed from the DMK party as a member and as a Secretary.
|Date of Birth||30 January 1951|
|Age (as in 2018)||67 Years|
|Birthplace||Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Aquarius|
|Hometown||Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|College/University||Presidency College, Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor in Arts|
|Address||25/4 A, Sathya Sai Nagar, TVS Nagar, Madurai, Tamil Nadu|
|Controversies||• He was accused in the murder of the former DMK Minister, T. Kiruttinan on 20 May 2003. The Principal District and Sessions Court acquited him in May 2008.
• Wikileaks, through the newspaper, The Hindu, revealed that he bribed ₹5000 to each voter in the January 2009 Assembly elections at Thirumangalam.
• In May 2007, the newspaper, Dinakaran, published the results of opinion polls, which revealed that M. K. Stalin received 70% approval while he had won just 2%. This was followed by an outrage where his supporters firebombed the Madurai office of Dinakaran.
• In 2011, it was alleged that his wife bought lands for ₹85 Lakh; worth ₹20 Crore. In September 2011, they were cleared off the charges.
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||10 December 1972|
|Children||Son- Dayanidhi Azhagiri
Daughters- Kayalvizhi, Anjugaselvi
|Parents||Father- M. Karunanidhi (Politician)
Mother- Dayalu Ammal (Busineswoman)
• M. K. Stalin (Politician)
• M. K. Muthu (Actor, Singer)
• M. K. Tamilarasu (Producer)
• Kanimozhi (Politician)
• Selvi Geetha Kovilam
|Car Collection||Hond City, Land Rover, Toyota Innova, BMW|
|Assets/Properties||Deposits in Bank: ₹10 Crore
Jewellery: ₹2 Crore
Total Value: ₹18 Crore
|Net Worth (approx.)||₹35 Crore|
Some Lesser Known Facts About M. K. Alagiri
- His father was a great politician and had also served as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu. His father was a big fan of the Tamil writer, Azhagirisamy, so much so that he named his son, Alagiri after the writer.
- He grew up with three brothers and a sister and was the second son in the family.
- He joined politics at a very young age under the guidance of his father, M. Karunanidhi.
- In 2008, he played a key role in the party winning three by-elections. For this, he was appointed as the Organizing Secretary of the party of the southern districts.
- There was a rift between the two brothers on the succession to lead their father’s party. Their supporters often fought with each other.
- In the 2009 Parliamentary elections, he won from the Madurai constituency; securing a total of 4,30,688 votes.
- During his tenure as the Cabinet Minister of Chemical and Industries, the opposition raised questions over his attendance in the parliament; as Jena, the State Minister of the ministry answered all the questions raised in the parliament on behalf of Alagiri.
- The relationship crisis between the brothers reached its peak in the Dinakaran incidence. The supporters of Alagiri attacked the Madurai office of the newspaper, Dinakaran, and set it ablaze. This came after the newspaper had published an article; showing Stalin’s prominence more than Alagiri’s.
- In January 2013, Jena accused Alagiri over inaction in the alleged misuse of government subsidies by the fertiliser companies. Jena said that Alagiri didn’t respond to any of the five letters he wrote to him.
- He again fell into a controversy when he did not accompany the contingency led by T.R. Baalu to render the resignations in the Prime Minister’s Office and to hand over the letter of withdrawal to the President on 20 March 2013. It was claimed that he delayed his resignation as a mark of protest against his father’s decision to pull out of central ministry, and also, some sources claimed that he was upset as he was not kept in the loop while making this decision.
- On 24 January 2014, he was removed from the post of Secretary as well as the member of the DMK Party.
- On 7 August 2018, his father, Karunanidhi passed away after a prolonged illness.
📢⚡TRENDING: URI is surging to become a Blockbuster, check the salary of Uri actors here⚡