Age: 72 Years
Hometown: Baroda, Gujarat, India
Husband: Urs Birnstiel
|Full name||Sheela Ambalal Patel citation|
|Profession||Personal Secretary to Osho (Rajneesh)|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 164 cm
in meters- 1.63 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 4”
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Date of Birth||28 December 1949, Wednesday|
|Age (as of 2021)||72 Years|
|Birthplace||Baroda, Gujarat, India|
|College/University||Montclair State College, New Jersey|
|Controversies||• In Wasco County 1984, Ma Anand Sheela conspired with the commune to poison local residents by using salmonella bacteria and many other methods to make them ill and prevent them from voting and swing the election. The Live Mint
• In 1985, Her guru Rajneesh accused her of fraud, arson, wiretapping, Second-degree assault, immigration fraud and has been convicted for these charges. The Live Mint
• In 1999, she was convicted for the murder in Switzerland of US federal prosecutor Charles Turner in 1985 by the Swiss court. Swiss Info
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Boyfriends||Osho (Rajneesh) Hindustan Times|
|Husband/Spouse||Marc Harris Silverman
|Parents||Father- Ambalal Patel
Mother- Maniben Patel
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ma Anand Sheela
- Ma Anand Sheela was an Indian-Swiss, who served as a personal assistant to Osho (Rajneesh) from 1981 to 1985. She was one of the dominant voices that propagated the “Rajneesh Movement .” She also used to manage Rajneeshpuram ashram in Wasco County, Oregon, United States.
- Ma Anand Sheela lived with her husband Marc Harris Silverman, in America before moving to India to pursue her spiritual studies and became a disciple of Osho (Rajneesh)
- After her husband died, she married John Shelfer who was also a disciple of Osho.
- Ma Anand Sheela used to manage all day-to-day business matters of the Rajneesh Foundation.
- Ma Anand Sheela was the second secretary of Osho (Rajneesh) after Laxmi.
- Ma Anand Sheela met with Indira Gandhi for talks to set up an ashram in India.
- She was the one, who initiated the largest bioterror attack in American history causing health problems to 750 US citizens.
- Ma Anand Sheela wrote a book titled Rajneeshism, where she shares insight into the life of Osho and his perspective with people however, the name of the author has not been credited and the editor has listed it as “Academy of Rajneeshism.” 5000 copies of this book were burned at Rajneeshpuram.
- Ma Anand Sheela left the commune and fled to Europe. This angered Osho (Rajneesh), who broke the vow of silence and accused her of several crimes, which turned out to be true and she was convicted for them.
- Ma Anand Sheela was sentenced to prison for 20 years for the convicted charges and was on parole for 39 months in 1986.
- After prison, she married Urs Birnstiel in Switzerland, who died of AIDS after their marriage.
- Ma Anand Sheela bought two nursing homes in Maisprach, Switzerland named Matrusaden (mother’s home) and Bapusaden (father’s home)
- Ma Anand Sheela appeared in Netflix’s Wild Wild Country documentary which was released in 2018 and Youtube Channel ” BBC stories” published a video named Wild Wild Country: What happened to Sheela?
- She was interviewed by Karan Johar in 2018 spoke about her lifestyle in comune at Oregan, United States. She also shared an interesting insight into her relationship with Osho (Rajneesh)
You should see some of the photographs and see how he looked at me. And the way he said ‘Seela’…” Sharing an anecdote, Sheela recalled an evening she spent with Rajneesh as he watched the classic Umrao Jaan, featuring Rekha and Farooq Shaikh.”
- Ma Anand Sheela’s biopic was announced that would be produced by Karan Johar and Priyanka Chopra was being lined up for her role in the documentary, to which she did not give the permission and send a legal notice to her through mail as she wanted Alia Bhatt to play her character in the documentary.