Some Lesser Known Facts About Mark Beaumont
- Does Mark Beaumont smoke?: Not Known
- Does Mark Beaumont drink alcohol?: Not Known
- He was born and grew up in Scotland.
- Until the age of 11, he was home-schooled by his mother, Una.
- Since the age of 12, he has been pedaling across the Scotland and his ambitions have got bigger over the last 2 decades.
- At the age of 15, Beaumont cycled the length of Scotland from Dundee to Oban and raised thousands for charity.
- Later, he completed a grueling 1,000-mile solo ride across Britain from John O’Groats to Land’s End.
- Beaumont also pedaled the length of Italy, a journey spanning 1,336 miles.
- During summer 2011, as the BBC cameraman, Beaumont joined a team of 6 in Ocean Rowing through the Canadian Arctic. In early 2012, with an aim to break the world record for rowing across the Atlantic Ocean, he joined another rowing team, however, after 27 days into the expedition, they capsized and had to be rescued.
- He is a Guinness World Record holder for the fastest circumnavigation of the planet on a bicycle, riding 18,000 miles (29,000 km) in under 80 days.
- He had previously held the same record after completing the journey in 194 days in 2008; after which the record has been broken several times. The last one was set by Andrew Nicholson of New Zealand at 123 days in 2015.
- It was on April 3, 2017, that Beaumont announced his record-breaking quest to cycle around the world in 80 days. To achieve the target, Beaumont covered an average of 240 miles/day and rode for more than 16 hrs. a day, sleeping only for 5 hrs. each night.
- According to reports, Beaumont undertook his world record-breaking journey to raise money for Orkidstudio, a social organization in Kenya that works for different communities around the world providing them with innovative infrastructure.
- He has been featured in 2 BBC Documentaries so far, “The Man who Cycled the World” in August 2008 (also nominated for a Scottish BAFTA) and “The Man who Cycled the Americas” in May 2010.
- His quest to circumnavigate the globe was inspired by the Jules Verne story Around the World in Eighty Days.
- Here’s a word of thanks from Mark:
📢⚡TRENDING: List of IPL Winners (2008-2018)