Age: 73 Years
Husband: P. Chidambaram
|Famous For||Being the wife of P. Chidambaram|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in feet inches- 5’ 5”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 65 kg
in pounds- 143 lbs
|Date of Birth||Year 1946|
|Age (as in 2019)||73 Years|
|Birthplace||Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|Hometown||Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|School||• Vidyodaya School, Chennai
• Stella Maris College, Chennai
|College/University||• The University of Madras, Chennai
• Madras Law College (now Dr Ambedkar Government Law College), Chennai
|Educational Qualification(s)||• B.Sc in Mathematics from the University of Madras, Chennai
• Bachelor of Laws from the Madras Law College, Chennai
|Caste||Kongu Vellalar (Vellalar Community)|
|Address||16, Pycrofts Garden Road, Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|Controversies||• In July 1992, she allegedly invested in the shares of a company which was involved in the share market scam. Reportedly, she knew about the scam, and instead of reporting it, she invested money in it. When this information came to light, it turned into a major controversy, and her husband, P. Chidambaram, had to resign from his post of Minister of State for Commerce.
• In 2005, she was appointed as a senior legal counsel to the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT). Several political leaders raised objections on her appointment in the parliament as it fell directly under P. Chidambaram's ministry. The opposition demanded her resignation from the post.
• On 21 September 2014, her name appeared in the "Sharda Chit Fund Scam" for a payment of 1.40 Crores INR as legal fees to her by the Sharda Group. The CBI stated that it was examining the transaction. Although, Nalini stated that it was just her legal fees.
• On 11 May 2018, the Income Tax Department filed a charge-sheet (under the Black Money Act) against Nalini Chidambaram; accusing her of not disclosing her overseas assets, such as her property in the UK worth 5.37 Crores INR.
• On 11 January 2019, the CBI filed a charge sheet against her, and she was summoned by the ED for her involvement in the "Sharda Chit Fund Scam". Allegedly, she accepted a bribe of 1.40 Crores INR from the Sharda Group of Companies. Reportedly, she entered into a conspiracy with Sudipta Sen (Proprietor of the Sharda Group) and others with the intention of cheating and misappropriation of funds.
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||11 December 1968|
|Children||Son- Karti Chidambaram
|Parents||Father- P.S. Kailasam (a former Supreme Court Judge)
Mother- Soundara Kailasam (Tamil Poet and Orator)
|Siblings||Brother- Sadayavel Kailasam (Orthopaedic Surgeon)
• Vimala Ramalingam (Elder; Paediatrician)
• Padmini Sivasubramanian (Younger; Agriculturist)
|Car Collection||Toyota Innova (2012 Model)|
|Assets/Properties (as in 2016)||Cash: 1.24 Lacs INR
Bank Deposits: 85 Lacs INR
Jewellery: 1437 gms Gold worth 39.17 Lacs INR, 52 kgs Silver worth 20.46 Lacs INR, and Diamonds of 76.61 carats worth 22.98 Lacs INR
Agricultural Land: worth 2 Crores INR in Karnataka
Agricultural Land: worth 14 Lacs INR in Sivaganga, Tamil Nadu
Agricultural Land: worth 21.45 Lacs INR in Sivaganga, Tamil Nadu
Commercial Building: worth 45 Lacs INR in Sivaganga, Tamil Nadu
Residential Building: worth 4.04 Crores INR in Sivaganga, Tamil Nadu
Residential Building: worth 16.05 Crores INR in Jor Bagh, New Delhi
Some Lesser Known Facts About Nalini Chidambaram
- Nalini Chidambaram is an advocate of the Madras High Court. She is the wife of the former Finance Minister of India, P. Chidambaram.
- Her father, P.S. Kailasam, was the Chief Justice of the Madras High Court, and later, he was appointed as a judge in the Supreme Court of India.
- In an interview, she revealed that it was her father, who himself was in the field of the judiciary, had encouraged her to pursue law as a career.
- She met P. Chidambaram in the Law Faculty of the University of Madras, and she fell in love with him.
- After passing out of college, she had to go through great lengths to practice under someone; as many of the famous lawyers that she had approached (including her own uncle) refused to train her.
- Her father was not willing to get her married to P. Chidambaram; as he was not of the same caste as theirs. Hence, they had to elope and get married.
- After her marriage, she, along with her husband, approached Mr K.K Venugopal. At first, Venugopal had refused to train her, but later, he agreed on the condition that they both would join him together.
- She was not very successful as a lawyer during the initial years of her career. She had got married, and she also had a son, Karti Chidambaram. She took a break when she had her son, and after returning to work, she worked hard and became successful.
- She was offered to be a judge several times, but she refused as she had to assist her husband during his election campaigns, and she wanted to keep her say on the political issues of the country.
- Once, she stated-
I enjoy arguing, hence, I decided to be a lawyer rather than a judge”
- She loves politics, but she does not want to be involved in active politics ever.
- Nalini became a senior advocate in 1990, and she is the first woman to be designated as a “Senior Advocate” in “The Madras Bar Association”.
- Her mother, Soundara Kailasam, passed away on 16 October 2010, at the age of 83. M. Karunanidhi was among the top leaders who visited to pay his last respects to her.