Wife: Srinidi Rangarajan
Net Worth: Rs. 79.37 Crore
Age: 47 Years
|Full Name||Karti P. Chidambaram|
|Profession||Indian Politician, Businessman, Lawyer|
|Political Party||Indian National Congress (INC)
|Political Journey||2014: Became a Member of Lok Sabha from the Sivaganga Constituency in Tamil Nadu
2019: Re-elected to the Lok Sabha from the Sivaganga Constituency in Tamil Nadu
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 180 cm
in meters- 1.80 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 11”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 90 kg
in Pounds- 198 lbs
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Date of Birth||16 November 1971|
|Age (as in 2018)||47 Years|
|Birthplace||Madras (now Chennai), Tamil Nadu, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Scorpio|
|Hometown||Sivaganga, Tamil Nadu, India|
|School||Don Bosco, Chennai|
|College/University||• The University of Texas at Austin
• Cambridge University
|Educational Qualification(s)||• Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) from the University of Texas, Austin, U.S.A in 1993
• Bachelor of Law from Cambridge University UK in 1995
|Family||Father- P. Chidambaram
Mother- Nalini Chidambaram
|Hobbies||Reading, Playing Lawn Tennis|
|Address||87/1-54, Motilal Street, Kandanur, Sivaganga Dist, Tamil Nadu, PIN 630104|
|Major Controversies||• In May 2012, it was alleged that he had links to a firm named Advantage Strategic Consulting that was involved in illegal financial transactions.
• In November 2014, EVKS Elangovan (Tamil Nadu Congress Committee Chief) lashed out at him for sharing party's internal issues with the media.
• In January 2015, Tamil Nadu Congress Committee criticized him for praising Prime Minister Narendra Modi for his 'political acumen.'
• In April 2015, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) probed Vasan Healthcare Group that was partly owned by Karti Chidambaram for abusing India’s foreign direct investment policy to provide illegal help to Sequoia Capital India (a Mauritius-based investment fund).
• In August 2015, he was summoned by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) in connection with the Aircel-Maxis case.
• In September 2015, the New Indian Express charged him for being the secret owner of a sprawling international network of companies.
• In December 2015, his office was raided by the ED and Income Tax Department to probe a transaction between Chidambaram and Aircel.
• In February 2016, the Pioneer newspaper reported about his involvement in various international business activities, many of which were involved in tax havens.
• In April 2016, the New Indian Express alleged that owned 'Advantage' through what is known as front-men, arrangements or “Benami."
• On 16 May 2017, CBI booked Karti Chidambaram on cheating and corruption charges.
• On 28 February 2018, he was arrested by a special team of the CBI’s Economic Offences Wing at the Chennai Airport. The case pertained to alleged irregularities in foreign direct investments to the tune of ₹305 crore in INX Media and INX News.
|Favourite Sports||Lawn Tennis|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Wife||Srinidi Rangarajan (Bharatanatyam Dancer and Physician)
Daughter- Aditi Nalini Chidambaram
|Salary (as a Member of Parliament)||Rs. 1 Lakh + Other Allowances|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 79.37 Crore (as in 2019)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Karti Chidambaram
- Does Karti Chidambaram smoke:? Not Known
- Does Karti Chidambaram drink alcohol:? Not Known
- He was born in Chennai into a rich merchant family.
- His father, Palaniappan Chidambaram, has served as India’s Minister of Finance and Minister of Home Affairs during the UPA Government.
- After returning from England, he didn’t join his father’s law firm rather worked at the ill-fated Manali Petrochemicals Ltd. in Madras.
- He holds & manages many companies in India & abroad.
- He is an adroit Lawn Tennis player and has won some Tennis Competitions too.
- He is a former Vice-President of the All India Tennis Association and is Vice-President of the Tamil Nadu Tennis Association.
- He is also the Chairman of the Organizing Committee of the Aircel Chennai Open (ATP) Tennis Tournament.
- He is the Chief Patron of the All India Karate-Do Federation.
- His wife, Srinidi Rangarajan, is a trained Bharatanatyam dancer and works as a physician in Chennai.