Wife: Srinidi Rangarajan
Age: 47 Years
Net Worth: Rs. 79.37 Crore
|Full Name||Karti P. Chidambaram|
|Profession(s)||Indian Politician, Businessman, Lawyer|
|Famous For||Being the son of P. Chidambaram|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 180 cm
in meters- 1.80 m
in feet inches- 5’ 11
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 90 kg
in pounds- 198 lbs
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Political Party||Indian National Congress
|Political Journey||2014: Unsuccessfully contested the Lok Sabha Elections from the Sivaganga Constituency in Tamil Nadu
2019: Won the Lok Sabha Elections from the Sivaganga Lok Sabha Constituency in Tamil Nadu
|Date of Birth||16 November 1971 (Tuesday)|
|Age (as in 2018)||47 Years|
|Birthplace||Madras (now Chennai), Tamil Nadu|
|Hometown||Sivaganga, Tamil Nadu|
|School||Don Bosco School of Excellence, Egmore, Chennai|
|College/University||• The University of Texas at Austin
• University of Cambridge
|Educational Qualification(s)||• Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) from the University of Texas, Austin, U.S.A in 1993
• Bachelor of Laws from the University of Cambridge in 1995
|Caste||Nagarathar (Also known as Chettiar)|
|Address||87/1-54, Motilal Street, Kandanur, Sivaganga, Tamil Nadu|
|Hobbies||Reading Books, Playing Lawn Tennis|
|Controversies||• In May 2012, it was alleged that he had links to a firm named "Advantage Strategic Consulting", which was involved in illegal financial transactions.
• In November 2014, EVKS Elangovan (Tamil Nadu Congress Committee Chief) lashed out at him for sharing the party's internal issues with the media.
• In January 2015, the Tamil Nadu Congress Committee criticized him for praising Prime Minister Narendra Modi for his "political acumen".
• In April 2015, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) probed "Vasan Healthcare Group", which was partly owned by Karti Chidambaram. It was reportedly abusing India’s foreign direct investment policy to provide illegal help to "Sequoia Capital India" (a Mauritius-based investment firm).
• In August 2015, he was summoned by the ED in connection with the Aircel-Maxis case.
• In September 2015, the New Indian Express charged him for being the secret owner of an international network of companies.
• In December 2015, his office was raided by the ED and the Income Tax Department to probe a transaction between Chidambaram and Aircel.
• In February 2016, the Pioneer newspaper reported about his involvement in various international business activities, many of which were involved in tax havens.
• In April 2016, the New Indian Express alleged that he owned 'Advantage' through several front-men (Benami).
• On 16 May 2017, CBI booked Karti Chidambaram for cheating and corruption.
• On 28 February 2018, he was arrested by a special team of the CBI’s Economic Offences Wing at the Chennai Airport. The case pertained to alleged irregularities in foreign direct investments to the tune of 305 Crores INR in INX Media.
• On 11 October 2018, the ED seized Karti's properties in India, UK, and Spain worth 54 Crores INR in connection with the INX Media money laundering case.
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||21 January 1997|
|Wife/Spouse||Srinidi Rangarajan (Bharatanatyam Dancer and Physician)
Daughter- Aditi Nalini Chidambaram
|Parents||Father- P. Chidambaram (Politician)
Mother- Nalini Chidambaram (Advocate)
|Assets/Properties||Cash: 3.54 Lacs INR
Bank Deposits: 6.60 Crores INR
Jewellery: 40 gms Gold worth 1.22 Lacs INR and a 3 Carat Diamond worth 90,000 INR
Agricultural Land: worth 3.60 Crores INR in South Coorg, Karnataka
Commercial Building: worth 95.48 Lacs INR in Chennai
Commercial Building: worth 2.28 Crores INR in Cambridge, UK
Residential Building: worth 16.05 Crores INR in Jor Bagh, New Delhi
|Salary (approx.)||1 Lac INR + Other Allowances (as a Lok Sabha Member)|
|Net Worth (approx.)||79.37 Crores INR (as in 2019)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Karti Chidambaram
- Karti Chidambaram is an Indian politician and businessman. He is the son of prominent Indian politician and the former Home Minister of India P. Chidambaram.
- He was born in Chennai into a rich merchant family.
- His father, P. Chidambaram, has served as India’s Minister of Finance and the Minister of Home Affairs during the UPA Government.
- After returning from England, he didn’t join his father’s law firm. He worked at the ill-fated Manali Petrochemicals Ltd. in Madras.
- He holds & manages many companies in India & abroad.
- He is an adroit Lawn Tennis player and has won some Tennis Competitions too.
- He is a former Vice-President of the All India Tennis Association and is Vice-President of the Tamil Nadu Tennis Association.
- He is also the Chairman of the Organizing Committee of the Aircel Chennai Open (ATP) Tennis Tournament.
- He is the Chief Patron of the All India Karate-Do Federation.
- His wife, Srinidi Rangarajan, is a trained Bharatanatyam dancer and works as a physician in Chennai.