Hometown: Tinsukia, Assam
Age: 26 Years
Caste: Sonowal Kachari
|Being the winner of MasterChef India 2023
|Physical Stats & More
|in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 5”
|Date of Birth
|12 March 1997 (Wednesday)
|Age (as of 2023)
|• Saumarjyoti Vidyalaya, Tinsukia, Assam
• Gyan Vigyan Academy, Dibrugarh
|Girijananda Chowdhury Institute of Management and Technology, Guwahati
|Graduate Freebirds - YouTube
|Sonowal Kachari Nayanjyoti Saikia - Instagram
|Relationships & More
|Father- Name Not Known (farmer)
Mother- Name Not Known
|Sister- Name Not Known
Some Lesser Known Facts About Nayanjyoti Saikia
- Nayanjyoti Saikia is an Indian self-learned chef who is known for being the winner of MasterChef India season 7.
- When he was pursuing his graduation, he used to live in a hostel, where the food provided to them was sometimes tasteless and sometimes very salty. So, he used to carry chips with him and ate them with plain rice which led to vitamin deficiency in his body. He was admitted to the hospital and doctors advised him to eat proper vegetables.
- In the second year of his graduation, he took a room on rent, and he started living with his cousin. They used to have small house parties which were attended by his cousins and friends who motivated him to learn deeply about cooking.
- After his graduation, he used to work in a tea garden with his father in the daytime and cook in his free time. They used to grow vegetables like potatoes and cauliflower in their garden. They also grew fruits including starfruit and oranges that helped them make wine.
- He learned cooking by trying recipes from cooking books and never took any professional cooking classes. According to him, the first thing that he ever cooked was a simple cake which made him curious to try different frostings on it.
- In an interview, he said there were many ingredients which he could not find in his village, so he used to find substitutes for them.
- He used to cook dishes at home and made his family members taste them.
- He posted dishes cooked by him on Instagram, which helped him gain a lot of followers. He liked photography very much and owned a digital camera when he was in college. He has won many photography competitions. His hobby helped him click beautiful pictures of the dishes which he posted on Instagram.
- When he used to post pictures, many people thought that he had downloaded the pictures from the internet. During the audition for MasterChef, he was asked to sign a document which stated that the pictures he had posted were clicked by him and no one else.
- In 2020, he won the first prize in the northeast cooking championship.
- In 2023, he was found by chef Vikas Khanna through Instagram. When he approached him, his father was not willing to send him to pursue cooking, but Vikas convinced him and Saikia started his journey on the show. When chef Vikas went to his home to select him for the show, he cooked Pithas for him which he liked a lot.
- On 31 March 2023, he was declared the winner of MasterChef India season 7. Before the broadcast of the episode where the winner was announced, a fan page of the show shared the photo of Nayanjyoti wearing the winner’s golden apron and holding the trophy.
- In an interview, he revealed that before auditing for the show, he was very nervous because he had never eaten food in big restaurants and thought if his food matched the standard of the show. However, the dishes he cooked on the show were chosen as the dish of the day many times.
- According to him, many people had wrong interpretations about what the Assammes people ate daily. In an interview, he said that many people think that northeastern people ate a lot of animals, but this was not true. On the show, he tried to break this thinking and educated people about the vegetable and spices they grew and ate every day. He also cooked his regional food on the show.
- He is often seen drinking alcohol on his social media posts.