|Profession||Actor, Comedian & Graphic Designer|
|Famous For||Designing the logo for Tamil Nadu Tourism in the 1960s|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 177 cm
in meters- 1.77 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 8”
|Debut||Tamil Film: Karaiyellam Shenbagapoo (1981)
Tamil TV: Dhinam Dhinam Deepavali (2007)
|Last Film||Indha Nilai Maarum (Tamil) (2020)
|Date of Birth||19 February 1947 (Wednesday)|
|Birthplace||Komarapalayam, Tamil Nadu|
|Date of Death||6 May 2021|
|Place of Death||A private hospital in Chennai|
|Age (at the time of death)||74 Years|
|Death Cause||Succumbed to Covid-19 India Today|
|College/University||• National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad|
|Educational Qualification||• Post Graduation in Arts & Design
• Doctorate Degree in Arts & Design from France
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status (at the time of death)||Married|
|Children||Son(s)- • Prabhu
|Siblings||Brother- Idichapuli Selvaraj (comic actor)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Pandu
- Pandu was an Indian actor who appeared in comic roles in more than one hundred Tamil movies. His wife, Kumudha, also tested positive for Covid-19 and is in the ICU.
- Pandu was born in Komarapalayam, Tamil Nadu. He had an elder brother, Idichapuli Selvaraj, who was also a comic actor in the Tamil film industry.
- Pandu completed his schooling, and he decided not to attend a college as the course offered was five years. Later, he gave the entrance exam for Arts & Designs and cleared the exam with first class. He received a government scholarship and pursued his post-graduation in Arts & Design at the National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad. After this, he completed his doctorate in France.
- Pandu was responsible for designing the Tamil Nadu Tourism logo ‘Umbrella.’ He received a cash prize of Rs. 20,000 for the design.
- Pandu was more into arts, designing, and painting. Over 250 logos of many reputed companies and organizations were designed by him. He designed the logo of SUN TV. He also designed the ‘Two Leaves’ party symbol and logo under the supervision of the founder and leader of AIADMK, Maruthur Gopalan Ramachandran (MGR).
- Pandu designed all his logos during the Brahma Muhurtam i.e., early morning. In case, he was not able to complete the design in Brahma Muhurtam, he used to stop working on it and continue it the next day.
- Pandu also painted the painting of Jayalalithaa for the song ‘Enge Aval, Endre Manam.’
- In 1975, Pandu started a brass and aluminum business in Chennai, and the name of the firm was Prapanj Unlimited, which was handled by him and his son Prabhu.
- Pandu made his acting debut with the film Karaiyellam Shenbagapoo (1981) and worked with his brother in the movie. In 2013, Pandu was roped in to play a comic role in the movie Vellachi, where he worked with his son Pintu Pandu.
- Apart from working in films, Pandu also worked in the television industry and made his television debut as an actor in 2007 with the show Dhinam Dhinam Deepavali, and the last show he worked in was Valli in 2016.
- Pandu was fond of painting, and in an interview during his art exhibition, he told the reporters that he made most of his paintings with his fingertips as it made him happy and brought out a better feeling in the paintings.
- Film producer and director G Dhananjayan made a tweet on his Twitter account after hearing the news of Pandu’s death.
Better to switch off from all social media for sometime. Very shocking to read this morning news. #RIPPandu sir, one of the finest human beings & actors.
Going to be on home quarantine for some days. Be safe at home friends. Take care. Very challenging days ahead 🙏🙏🙏 pic.twitter.com/yAvNwmjRms
— Dr. Dhananjayan G (@Dhananjayang) May 6, 2021