Parkash Singh Badal (Politician) Age, Biography, Wife & More
|Real Name||Parkash Singh Badal|
|Party||Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD)
|Political Journey||• In 1947, he became Sarpanch of Badal village.
• He became chairman of Lambi Block Samiti.
• In 1957, elected to Punjab Vidhan Sabha (from Indian National Congress) for the first time.
• In 1969, became Minister for Community Development, Panchayati Raj, Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries in the Punjab Government.
• From 1969 to 2012, he was reelected to Punjab Legislative Assembly repeatedly (the only exception is 1992).
• In 1972, 1980 and 2002, he was Leader of the Opposition.
• In March 1970, he became the Chief Minister of Punjab for the first time.
• In 1977, he became a union minister (Minister of Agriculture and Irrigation) in Prime Minister Morarji Desai's government.
• In 1996, he became the President of Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD).
• He served his full term as the Chief Minister of Punjab from 1997 to 2002 for the first time.
• In 2012, he became the Chief Minister of Punjab for the 5th time.
|Biggest Rival||Captain Amarinder Singh|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height||in centimeters- 178 cm
in meters- 1.78 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 10”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 78 kg
in Pounds- 172 lbs
|Date of Birth||8 December 1927|
|Age (as in 2016)||89 Years|
|Birth Place||Abul Khurana, Punjab, British India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Sagittarius|
|Hometown||Badal Village, Lambi Tehsil, Muktsar District, Punjab, India|
|College/University||Forman Christian College, Lahore, Pakistan|
|Educational Qualifications||B.A. degree|
|Debut||In 1947, when he became Sarpanch of Badal Village|
|Family||Father- S. Raghuraj Singh
Mother- Sundri Kaur
Brother- Gurdas Badal, Politician (younger)
|Address||Kothi No. 256, Sector-9 C, Chandigarh|
|Hobbies||Reading, Doing Yoga|
|Controversies||• In his career, he spent 17 years in jail.
• During the Internal Emergency imposed by the Indira Gandhi Government in 1975-77, he was imprisoned for a civil liberty agitation.
• In 1980, he was put in jail during the Dharam Yudh Morcha Days of Punjab.
• He courted controversy when he publicly tore the Constitution of India.
• In 2003, corruption charges were filed against him and his family. However, they were acquitted of charges in 2010.
|Favourite Politician||Atal Bihari Vajpayee|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Wife||Late Surinder Kaur Badal (m. 1959, died in 2011 after a long illness due to cancer)
|Children||Son- Sukhbir Singh Badal (Politician)
Daughter- Preneet Kaur
|Salary||Rs. 1 lakh per month|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 14.5 crore (as in 2017)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Parkash Singh Badal
- Does Parkash Singh Badal smoke:? Not Known
- Does Parkash Singh Badal drink alcohol:? Not Known
- He was born into a family of landowning farmers.
- He descends to the Dhillon Jat clan.
- He attended a college in Lahore, Pakistan.
- He was first elected to the Punjab Legislative assembly as a member of the Indian National Congress.
- A few years later, he left the Indian National Congress over differences with the then Chief Minister of Punjab & joined the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD).
- In 1970, at the age of 43, he became the youngest Chief Minister of any Indian State.
- He was elected to the Punjab Legislative Assembly repeatedly from 1969 to 2012 (the only exception is 1992; when SAD boycott the elections).
- He has served as the Chief Minister of Punjab for 5 times and also holds the record of being the oldest Chief Minister of any Indian State.
- He became the President of SAD in 1996 and was replaced by his son, Sukhbir Singh Badal, in 2008.
- He is considered one of the most powerful Sikh leaders worldwide.
- In 2015, Government of India awarded him the second highest civilian award of India- Padma Vibhushan.