Bobby Kinnar Age, Family, Biography & More
Age: 38 Years
Education: Class 9
|Profession(s)||Politician, Social Worker|
|Famous for||Being the first member of the transgender community to represent a ward in the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD)|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 172 cm
in meters- 1.72 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 8”
|Political Party||Aam Aadmi Party|
|Political Journey||• Joined the Aam Aadmi Party in 2011
• Contested the Municipal Corporation elections of Delhi as an independent candidate in 2017
• Contested and won the Municipal Corporation elections of Delhi from Sultanpuri A Ward-43 on a ticket of the Aam Aadmi Party (2022)
|Date of Birth||Year, 1984|
|Age (as of 2022)||38 Years|
|Birthplace||Sultanpur, New Delhi|
|Educational Qualification||Class 9|
|Community||Jatav Dainik Bhaskar|
|Caste||Chamar (now termed as Dalit)|
|Controversy||Accused of Being Involved in a Criminal Conspiracy: In May 2011, a man named Ramesh sued Bobby and some other enunches including Khalibuddin, Ram Babu, Lakshmi, and Shobha in the Rohini Court for allegedly chopping of his private parts. Ramesh said that Bobby and all others accused asked Ramesh to accompany them to Indra Park, Mangol Puri, for compromising with Lalit, Shobha and Lakshmi. During their talks of compromise, Ramesh was offered a cold drink after consuming which he became unconscious. When he regained consciousness, he found himself lying outside his house with his private part cut. Later, the court in its judgement held that Ramesh went for a voluntary castration for monetary gain. Indian Kanoon
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status||Not Known|
|Parents||Father- Om Prakash (deceased; used to run a small Dhaba in Delhi)
Mother- Name Not Known
|Siblings||Bobby has a younger brother, who works at a private firm in Delhi. She also has a sister.|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Bobby Kinnar
- Bobby Kinnar is an Indian transgender politician and social worker. She is a member of the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP). In December 2022, she won the Municipal Corporation elections of Delhi, becoming the first transgender councillor in the Municipal Corporation of Delhi.
- When she was born, her parents knew that she was different from other children. While she was in her teens, her neighbours started noticing changes in her. Soon, people around her began treating her differently.
- She grew up in a poverty-stricken family in Sultanpur, New Delhi. As her father passed away when she was still a child, her mother had to do odd jobs to raise her children.
- Bobby was also bullied and harassed at school owing to which she dropped out of school after passing class 9.
- Soon, the people in her locality forced her parents to give her away to the transgender community; Bobby was adopted by a transgender guruji when she was 15 years old. She then started living in the transgender community in Sultan Majra.
- Initially, as a part of the transgender traditions, Bobby started visiting people’s houses on occasions like weddings and baby birth, asking for token money (Badhai). However, she felt uncomfortable doing so and decided to work for the betterment of the transgender community.
- At the age of 21, she joined an NGO and started working for social causes like helping needy people and providing education to underprivileged children. At the NGO, she even learned to read and write.
- While she was associated with the NGO, Bobby also helped get 15 girls married at her own expense.
- Impressed with the work of the social activist Anna Hazare, Bobby actively participated in the Anna Hazare anti-corruption movement in 2011.
- Soon, she associated herself with Arvind Kejriwal‘s Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) and worked extensively for the party.
- Bobby Kinnar desired to contest the 2017 municipal corporation election in Delhi on a ticket from the Aam Aadmi Party. However, she was denied the ticket. Bobby then sought tickets from various other parties but received ticket from none of them. She then accused all the parties of demanding Rs. 50 lakh in exchange for the ticket.
- Bobby contested the 2017 municipal corporation elections of Delhi as an independent candidate. She lost the elections.
- In 2022, Bobby Kinnar received the Aam Aadmi Party’s ticket for the Municipal Corporation elections of Delhi from Sultanpuri A Ward-43, making her the first transgender to receive a ticket for the MCD elections.
- During a media conversation, when asked about the reason for joining politics, Bobby said that she had entered politics for public welfare and for empowering the transgender community. She said,
If I win the polls, it will send a strong message and also encourage transgenders to come forward and make their mark like before. Now the people of our society are moving away from politics. There are many educated people in our society. I want all such people to come into politics and do social service so that our name also increases in society.”
- During the election campaigning, Bobby while referring to the issues faced by common people in her area said that people had to pay bribes even for the smallest works and she would work to end corruption if she won the election. She said,
If I become a councillor, I will work to end corruption. I will not allow officials to take bribes and will get public works done for free.”
- During her election campaigns, she also promised the public to provide free schooling for less fortunate children and take the Kejriwal government’s work to the public.
- In 2022, Bobby became a councillor of the Sultanpuri A Ward-43 after winning the Municipal Corporation of Delhi elections, defeating the Indian National Congress candidate Varuna Dhaka by a margin of 6,714 votes.
- After her win, Bobby addressed the media and said,
I want to dedicate my victory to the people who worked so hard for me. I would like to thank everyone. Now I just have to work for development in my area.”
- Bobby has been associated with the Hindu Yuva Samaj Ekta Awam Anti-Terrorism Committee for around fifteen years. As of 2022, she is the president of the Delhi unit of the Committee.
- Bobby has been running a primary school in her area for many years to educate poor children.
- She is often referred to as ‘Bobby Darling’ by the people of her area. Dainik Bhaskar
- In an interview, Bobby shared that although she had to leave her home when she was fifteen years old, she is still in touch with her family. She said that her biological mother loves her a lot and she visits them once a month.
|↑1, ↑3||Dainik Bhaskar|