Age: 79 Years
Wife: Preneet Kaur
Girlfriend: Aroosa Alam
|Political Party||Indian National Congress
|Political Journey||• In 1980, joined Congress and was elected to the Lok Sabha.
• In 1984, resigned from the Parliament to protest against the Operation Blue Star.
• In 1984, joined Shiromani Akali Dal and became an MLA from Talwandi Sabo.
• In 1984, became a minister in the state government for Forest, Agriculture, Development and Panchayats.
• In 1992, broke away from the Akali Dal and formed his own party- Shiromani Akali Dal (Panthic).
• In 1998, merged his party with Congress after being defeated in the assembly elections in which he was defeated from his own constituency (got only 856 votes).
• Served as President of Congress Committee (Punjab) on 2 occasions- from 1999 to 2002 & 2010 to 2013.
• In 2002, he became 23rd Chief Minister of Punjab.
• On 16 March 2017, he became 26th Chief Minister of Punjab.
• On 18 September 2021, he resigned as the Chief Minister of Punjab. After submitting his resignation, he addressed a press conference at the gate of the Raj Bhavan in which he said that he felt humiliated. Hindustan Times He said, “I called up Congress president (Sonia Gandhi) this morning and told her that I am going to resign. The thing is, this is happening for the third time that MLAs are being called for a meeting, my leadership is being questioned." His resignation was announced by his son Raninder Singh on Twitter.
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 7”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 84 kg
in Pounds- 185 lbs
|Date of Birth||11 March 1942|
|Age (as of 2021)||79 Years|
|Birthplace||Patiala, Punjab, India|
|Hometown||Patiala, Punjab, India|
|School||Welham Boys' School, Dehradun, India
The Lawrence School, Sanawar, Solan, Himachal Pradesh, India
The Doon School, Dehradun, India
|College||National Defence Academy, Pune, Maharashtra, India
Indian Military Academy, Dehradun, Uttarakhand, India
|Educational Qualifications||Graduated from the National Defence Academy, Pune and Indian Military Academy, Dehradun|
|Debut||In 1980, when he joined Congress and was elected to the Lok Sabha|
|Family||Father- Yadavindra Singh (Maharaja of Patiala from 1938 to 1974)
Mother- Rajmata Mohinder Kaur of Patiala
Brother- Malwinder Singh
Sisters- Heminder Kaur, Rupinder Kaur
|Hobbies||Playing Polo, Reading, Travelling|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Aroosa Alam (Pakistani journalist) The Print
|Wife||Preneet Kaur, Politician (married 1964)
|Children||Son- Raninder Singh
Daughter- Jai Inder Kaur
|Net Worth (approx.)||82.5 crores INR|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Captain Amarinder Singh
- He was born to Yadavindra Singh & Maharani Mohinder Kaur of Patiala.
- He was very passionate about joining the army from his school days.
- After graduating from NDA and IMA, he joined the Indian Army (commissioned as a Captain) in June 1963.
- When he was in the Indian Army along with his brother, his father was the then Ambassador to Rome, and his mother was in the Lok Sabha.
- He resigned from the Indian Army in August 1965, citing his services were needed at home.
- He rejoined the Indian Army after the start of the Indo-Pak War in 1965.
- When Lt Gen Harbaksh Singh (GOC-IN-C of the western command) asked Amarinder to join him, he felt honored and joined him as his ADC.
- In the 1965 Indo-Pakistan War, he served as the captain in the Indian Army.
- Rajiv Gandhi was his friend from school and inducted him into the Congress in 1980.
- His daughter Jai Inder Kaur is married to a Delhi-based businessman, Gurpal Singh.
- His wife, Preneet Kaur, served as the Minister of State in the Ministry of External Affairs from 2009 to 2014.
- His elder sister, Heminder Kaur, is married to K. Natwar Singh (former Foreign Minister).
- Amarinder’s wife, Preneet Kaur, and former IPS Officer Simranjeet Singh Mann’s wife are sisters.
- He has been associated with the Jat Maha Sabha for more than 3 decades and is an advocate of Jat Reservation under the OBC class.
- He has written a number of books on Sikh History & War.
- Reportedly, he is romantically engaged with a Pakistani journalist, Aroosa Alam, who he met way back in 2004 on a trip to Pakistan. The Print