|Other name||Francis DNA|
|Profession(s)||Businessman, Fund Manager, and Investor|
|Known for||Being a fund manager and stock market investor with the ability to pick small-capital company stocks having strong business potential|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 177 cm
in meters- 1.77 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 10”
|Portfolio||In April 2023, Porinju's portfolio was valued at Rs. 120 crores. According to a stock market website, this is an increase of more than 2000% in under 8 years. In December 2015, his portfolio only totaled Rs 5.87 crores. Trendlyne|
|Date of Birth||6 June 1962 (Wednesday)|
|Age (as of 2023)||61 Years|
|Birthplace||Chalakudy, Thrissur, Kerala, India|
|Hometown||Chalakudy, Thrissur, Kerala, India|
|College/University||Government Law College, Ernakulam, Kerala|
|Educational Qualification||L.L.B. at Government Law College, Ernakulam Porinju's LinkedIn Account|
|Hobbies||Travelling, Reading, and Writing books|
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Litty Porinju Veliyath
• Sunny Porinju
• Joshua Porinju
Daughter- Shilpa Porinju
|Parents||Names Not Known|
|Car Collection||Jeep Grand Cherokee
Toyota Land Prado
Mercedes Benz E-Class
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 130.1 crores Business Today|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Porinju Veliyath
- Porinju Veliyath is an Indian businessman, fund manager, and stock market investor. In his fund management company, Equity Intelligence India Private Limited, he manages his portfolio as well as the portfolios of his clients. In 2017, the Economic Times referred to him as a “small-cap czar.” He obtained knowledge in the financial market by working in various occupations such as fund manager and research analyst.
- According to Veliyath, he belongs to a lower-middle-class family in Chalakudy village, near Kochi, Kerala. His family experienced a lot of financial problems when he was 16 years old. To pay off obligations, they had to lose their house. He then started working as a teenager after realising that he needed to take charge of his family.
- Porinju then started working as an accountant with a remuneration of Rs. 1,000 monthly. Later, he worked as a phone operator with a Rs. 2,500 salary. Once, in a media conversation with a leading newspaper, he talked about his teenage struggle. Porinju Veliyath said,
I had to start working right from my teens…It was not easy. We were homeless when I started working.”
- In 1990, Porinju Veliyath worked as a floor trader for Kotak Securities, which was his first employment in the stock market. In 1994, he relocated to Mumbai and adopted the name Francis, which is the English translation of his name. He then joined Parag Parikh Securities, where he worked as a research analyst and fund manager from 1994 to 1999.
- In 2002, Porinju made the decision to return to his native state, Kerala, since he felt disappointed in some way with life in Mumbai. In 2002, in Kochi, he started his own fund management business, Equity Intelligence India Private Limited. In September 2021, his personal portfolio grew to Rs. 213.11 crores.
- He serves as a director for Arya Vaidya Pharmacy, which together with Hindustan Unilever Limited (HUL) developed the “Lever Ayush” line of Ayurvedic personal care products.
- Porinju Veliyath is well-known for his investments in small-cap companies. However, he also includes shares of some large-cap and blue-chip companies in his portfolio such as Reliance Industries.
- In 2008, Porinju Veliyath published a book titled Ohariyiloode Engane Nettam Koyyam (In English: Complete step-by-step guide to share market and investing) – 2008 under Dhanam Publications.
- On Twitter, Porinju Veliyath actively shares his opinions on current events and value investing. He has over 1,000,000 followers on Twitter. Reportedly, he predicted and tweeted in 2016 that Reliance Industries and Jio may turn optimistic.
Newbies and options trading! pic.twitter.com/qO7F7AYcIm
— Porinju Veliyath (@porinju) June 16, 2023
- According to him, he is inspired by the stock market investing strategies and skills of Udah Kotak and Radhakrishan Damani.
- In 2017, Porinju Veliyath made the headlines when he married off his son at the sub-registrar office. According to some media reports, the only cost he incurred was for two computers for the registrar’s office because he chose not to have an extravagant wedding ceremony. Soon after the wedding of his son, he tweeted the picture of the newlywed couple along with a caption. Porinju Veliyath wrote,
My son, @sunnyporinju just got married today; the sub-registrar has requested for couple of computers for office – the only wedding expense. I posted the picture from the registrar’s office itself. It was just a casual mention. I don’t want to give too much importance to it.”
- Porinju Veliyath’s portfolio proliferated between 2013 and 2018 because of his investment in multi-baggers during the bull market in stocks.
- In his leisure time, Porinju Veliyath likes travelling to distant places.
No Switzerland can beat our own Kashmir! pic.twitter.com/VkhX8AzKV6
— Porinju Veliyath (@porinju) April 6, 2023
- Apart from being a businessman, he is a sports enthusiast. Porinju Veliyath is an ardent football player who spends his weekends playing with his students. In his leisure time, Porinju Veliyath likes watching football games and studying team tactics.
- Several renowned Indian news channels often invite Porinju Veliyath on their live shows to recommend stock market investment strategies to the viewers.
- Porinju Veliyath is a compassionate animal lover. He has many pet animals at his farmhouse in Kochi. Porinju Veliyath often shares pictures of his pets on social media.
- Porinju Veliyath enjoys alcoholic beverages occasionally.
- In May 2023, Porinju Veliyath inaugurated a knowledge centre in his village in Kochi. He shared some pictures on his Twitter handle.