Some Lesser Known Facts About Prakash Amte
- Prakash Amte is the son of Magsaysay awardee, Baba Amte (Social Worker).
- When Prakash was studying M.S., the Government of Maharashtra granted land to Lok Biradari Prakalp (a social organisation founded by his father in 1973). Prakash left his study to take the legacy of his father of social work and moved to Hemalkasa along with his family.
- Lok Biradari Prakalp includes a school, a hospital, and an animal orphanage. The institution works for the development of Madia Gond, situated in Hemalkasa. Amte lived there without electricity for almost 20 years and even executed some major emergency surgeries without electricity.
- In 1995, a postage stamp was issued by the Principality of Monaco in the honour of Prakash and Mandakini.
- Amte founded an animal park, Animal Ark, which is a wildlife orphanage and sanctuary. It is basically for those animals whose parents were killed by the tribal people to fulfil their need for food and not for entertainment.
- The story behind opening the ‘Animal Ark’ is based on Amte’s real-life experience: Once Amte and his wife were walking through the Dandarayana forest when they had an encounter with some Gond tribals accompanied by a dead and an alive baby monkey. On being asked, the tribal group told Amte that they hunt to feed their community. Amte bartered the alive baby monkey with some rice and clothes. He named the baby monkey, Babli and that’s how Babli went on to become the first of the residents of the Animal Ark.
- Today, Animal Ark shelters many wild animals like leopards, jackals, jungle cats, rhesus macaques, sloth bears, rat-tail langurs, blackbuck antelopes, four-horned antelopes, rat snakes, crocodiles, Indian pythons, etc.
- On being asked about the safety measures of Amte’s family, he stated that,
I have interacted with these animals for 44 years and I have felt their love and affection. Also, I am still alive.
- Prakash holds great love and trust for the Adivasis of the jungles of Hemalkasa. He still continues to repair their watches and radios.
- In 2014, a biopic, ‘Dr. Prakash Baba Amte: The Real Hero’ was made on Amte’s life, starring Nana Patekar and Sonali Kulkarni.
- In November 2017, his license to house the wild animals got expired which he obtained in 1991. It is against the wildlife protection laws for Prakash to house the animals until the license gets renewed.
- In 2018, he appeared in the game reality show, Kaun Banega Crorepati along with his wife.
Padma Shri Dr. Prakash Amte aur unki patni, Dr. Mandakini Amte aa rahein hain lekar apni preranadayee kahaani, aaj raat #KBC Karamveer Special par @SrBachchan ke saath, 8 baje. pic.twitter.com/atVwVJfGnN
— Sony TV (@SonyTV) September 7, 2018
- Prakashvata which means Pathways to Light is Prakash Amte’s autobiography. He has also authored the book, Raanmitra (Jungle Friends), in which he has shared his experiences with his “wild friends.”