|Full name||Pratima Betsy Coutinho Twitter- Pratima Coutinho|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm
in meters- 1.68 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 6”
|Political Party||• Indian National Congress (resigned in 2021)
• Aam Aadmi Party (2021- present)
|Date of Birth||2 December 1975 (Tuesday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||47 Years|
|Educational Qualification||She is a graduate in law. My Neta|
|Controversies||• In 2014, Pratima was criticised by the media after her husband, Savio Coutinho, asked people to support Narendra Sawaikar, a BJP candidate in the April elections. However, Pratima later said that Savio has his own political ideology and her roots lie in Congress.
• In March 2021, after Pratima Coutinho resigned from her position of Goa Pradesh Mahila Congress President and joined the Aam Aadmi Party, Girish Chodankar, Goa state Congress President accused her of joining AAP for her selfish interests. He said that Pratima had committed political suicide by leaving Congress. He said,
Pratima has still not understood the game of politics. In politics, two plus two does not equal four. If she has gone with AAP thinking that the votes she got and the votes AAP got will combine and she will win, that is not the way arithmetic works in politics.”
|Relationships & More|
|Husband/Spouse||Savio Hugo Coutinho (politician, civil engineer, LIC agent)
|Children||Son- Pratham Coutinho
Daughter- Sasha Coutinho
|Parents||Father- John Mendonsa (Former Headmaster at St. Rita’s High School)
Mother- Alka Elizabeth Mendonca (Former Teacher)
Sister(s)- Sonia Mendonca, Priyanka Mendonca Monteiro
|Car Collection||Hyundai i10 My Neta|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Pratima Coutinho
- Pratima Coutinho is an Indian politician and advocate who is serving as the Vice-President and Spokesperson of the Aam Aadmi Party Goa (2022).
- She grew up in a middle-class family in Margao, Goa.
- Her husband, Savio Coutinho, is also a politician and is associated with the AITC party.
- In her college days, she was the president of the college’s cultural union.
- When Pratima was 18 years old, she developed an interest in politics and joined the Youth Congress by paying a membership fee of Re. 1. During that time, the GPYC President was Vijai Sardessai.
- At the age of 20, she got appointed as the General Secretary of GPYC.
- As a law graduate, Pratima was made the Chairperson of the Legal Cell of Goa Congress (soon after she completed her graduation). This exposed her to the wider public, often interacting with the members of the Youth Congress from different states of India.
- Pratima attended various Youth Congress camps in cities like Hyderabad, Bangalore, and Chennai, representing her state Goa.
- During Aam Admi Ka Sipahi, a youth congress camp in Andhra Pradesh, Pratima addressed the gathering with an elucidated and concise speech. Rahul Gandhi, who was also present at the camp, got very impressed with her speech and appointed her as the Vice President of GPYC.
- She was later appointed as the Goa Pradesh Mahila Congress Committee President.
- In March 2021, Pratima contested the Navelim Zilla Panchayat bypoll as a candidate of the Indian National Congress and was defeated by the independent candidate Edwin Cipru Cardoso.
- In the same month, Pratima resigned from the position of the Goa Pradesh Mahila Congress Committee President. Announcing her decision through twitter, Pratima wrote,
I, Adv Pratima Betsy Coutinho hereby tender my resignation from the primary membership of Indian National Congress with immediate effect.”
- After her resignation, her seat was occupied by the then vice-president of Goa Pradesh Mahila Congress Committee, Beena Shantaram.
- She then joined the Aam Aadmi Party in March 2021. Arvind Kejriwal, the national convener of Aam Aadmi Party was also present there at the time of her joining. He welcomed Pratima by tweeting,
Really happy to welcome one of the most dynamic young leaders of Goa Pratima Coutinho @adv_coutinho to AAP. Goa wants change, Goa wants young leaders like her to represent the Aam Aadmi of Goa.”
- Coutinho was also the Deputy Mayor of the Margao Municipality of Goa.
- She has also remained the ex-market chairman of MMC Goa.
- In her spare time, Pratima loves to travel and cook food for her husband and children.
- During an interview, Pratima revealed that her mother gave up her teaching career to look after her (Pratima’s mother’s) three daughters.
- Her father is her role model. In an interview, she revealed that her father had always treated her like a boy in the family. Talking about her father, she further said,
I owe a lot to my father as it is he who always encouraged me to live my dreams.”