Some Lesser Known Facts About Prraneeth Vuppala
- Prraneeth Vuppala is an Indian chess player, who became the 82nd grandmaster of India and the 6th grandmaster from the state of Telangana.
- He belongs to Ilagadapa village in the Nalgonda district of Telangana.
- When he was two and a half years old, he used to recite Bhagawad Geeta shlokas and deliver dialogues. He also began to draw at that age. ChessBase India
- In childhood, his parents took him to play tennis, swimming classes, and other sports. Later, he began to take chess classes and developed an interest in playing chess. He learned some basic rules of chess by watching his parents play and then he joined a chess club for practising.
- He joined the Ramaraju Academy of Chess Education and received chess training from Ramaraju for around seven years.
- He has also trained with the Israeli chess grandmaster Victor Mikhalevski.
- He won the State Championship Under–7 in 2013 and Under-9 in 2015.
- Apart from chess, he also won National ABACUS Championship in 2016 and 2016.
- In 2017, he won Hyderabad District Under-11. In the same year, he participated in Telangana State Under-11.
- In 2018, he took part in many chess tournaments including the 4th IIFL Wealth Mumbai Op, Capablanca Men IM, Narcis 7 GM, FSIM in Budapest, 3rd IIFL Wealth Mumbai Open, and 11th Triandria Open.
- In 2019, he participated in many chess tournaments including Netanya Open, 37th Balaton GM, and Bavarian Championship.
- In 2022, he participated in First Saturday GM in Budapest, Hungary.
- In March 2023, he took part in MPL National Teams Chess Championship held in Jammu, India.
- In May 2023, he appeared in the Baku Open tournament and defeated GM Hans Niemann of the United States in the penultimate round. He obtained 2,500 FIDE rating points and became the 82nd grandmaster of India.
BREAKING News: Prraneeth Vuppala becomes India's 82nd Grandmaster
IM Prraneeth Vuppala became India's 82nd Grandmaster when he beat GM Hans Niemann (USA) in the penultimate round of Baku Open 2023
Congratulations to Prraneeth, his family & his team pic.twitter.com/VwmNd4BGJd
— ChessBase India (@ChessbaseIndia) May 14, 2023
- On 15 May 2023, after Prraneeth Vuppala became India’s 82nd grandmaster, he and his family were invited by, the Chief Minister of Telangana, K. Chandrashekar Rao to the Secretariat. The CM congratulated him and his family and gave him a reward of Rs. 2.5 crores to provide him with financial support so that he can afford advanced chess training.
A day after he returned from Europe, India's 82nd GM Prraneeth Vuppala met the Chief Minister of Telangana K. Chandrashekar Rao, who has promised an amount of Rs. 2.5 crores (US$300,000) so that Prraneeth can train and prepare well in his journey to become a super GM.#chess pic.twitter.com/JZcUNDGgqC
— ChessBase India (@ChessbaseIndia) May 15, 2023
- In an interview, on being asked about how he felt after becoming the 82nd grandmaster of India and his future goals. He said,
I am happy and I will keep working hard. My next target is to reach 2,600 rating points. I didn’t set any deadline but want to achieve it as soon as possible. My goal is to achieve 2,800 rating points and become the World Champion. But as of now, my focus is on my next tournament. I am going to participate in the Asian Continental tournament in Kazakhstan starting next month.”
- He trains by himself during the tournament, and on regular days, he read books about chess and plays chess online with multiple players; this keeps him active and on his toes. He also likes to read books about chess champions’ history.
- According to sources, he plays and studies chess for about eight to ten hours daily.
- He crossed the Elo rating of 2500 after winning the title of grandmaster.