Wife: Dr Kota Neelima
Age: 55 Years
|Profession||Politician, Public speaker, Social activist|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 8”
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Political Party||Indian National Congress (INC)
|Political Journey||1989: Joined the youth wing of the Indian National Congress (INC)
1991: Left the Indian National Congress (INC)
1998: Re-joined the Indian National Congress (INC)
1998: Appointed as the personal secretary to the former chief minister of New Delhi Sheila Dikshit
2021: Appointed as the national spokesperson of the Indian National Congress
2022: Appointed as the chairman of the Media & Publicity Department of the All India Congress Committee (AICC)
|Date of Birth||31 July 1968 (Wednesday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||55 Years|
|Birthplace||Udaipur, Rajasthan, India|
|Hometown||Udaipur, Rajasthan, India|
|College/University||Delhi University Pawan Khera - LinkedIn|
|Controversies||• Arrested for mocking the Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi
On 23 February 2023, Pawan boarded the IndiGo flight 6E 204 from the Indira Gandhi International Airport, New Delhi, to attend an All India Congress Committee (AICC) plenary session in Raipur, Chhattisgarh. However, he was deplaned from the flight and was detained by the Assam police after an FIR was registered against him for allegedly making disrespectful comments about the Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi at a press conference in New Delhi. The conference was initiated to request the Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) for an investigation against Gautam Adani and the Adani Group for their alleged involvement in the stock manipulation. While addressing the media during the meeting, Pawan accused Narendra Modi of sharing proximity with Gautam Adani and addressed the prime minister as "Narendra Gautamdas Modi,” instead of "Narendra Damodardas Modi," where Damadardas is Modi’s father’s name. The Indian Express He said,
If Narasimha Rao could form a JPC (Joint Parliamentary Committee), if Atal Bihari Vajpayee could form a JPC, then what problem does Narendra Gautam Das...sorry Damodardas...Modi have?"
Subsequently, on 15 February 2023, a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party, Samuel Changsan, registered an FIR against Pawan Khera at the Haflong Police Station, Dima Hasao, under IPC Sections 120 B (criminal conspiracy), 153 A, 153 B (1) (promoting enmity on grounds of religion, race, place of birth, etc.), 500 (defamation), 504 (intentional insult with the intent to provoke breach of the peace), and 505 (1) (2) (statements conducing to public mischief). Additionally, complaints were also filed against Pawan with the Uttar Pradesh police. Pawan tweeted on 17 February 2023, citing that he got confused with the middle name of the prime minister, which read,
I genuinely got confused whether it is Damodardas or Gautam Das…”
After Pawan was asked to deplane from the flight, his supporters called for a protest at the Indira Gandhi International Airport, New Delhi, and chanted slogans in favour of Pawan saying “Modi Teri Kabar Khudegi.” However, Pawan apologized for his mistake and addressed the incident as a "slip of the tongue." While addressing the media, he talked about how he was asked to deplane from the flight and said,
I was told they wanted to see my luggage. I said I don't have anything except a handbag. When I came down from the aircraft, I was told I can't go and DCP will come. I don't know why I am being stopped.”
• Addressing Narendra Modi as the Father of Hypocrisy
In February 2023, the Income Tax Department raided the British Broadcasting Company (BBC) offices in Delhi and Mumbai after BBC aired the two-part documentary, "India: The Modi Question," which showcased the political journey of the Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi, his alleged connection in the 2002 Gujarat riots, and his involvement in discriminating the Muslim minority group. The documentary was poorly criticized by the Government of India and consequently, they imposed a ban on the screening of the documentary, quoting it as "hostile propaganda and anti-India garbage." The short clips of the documentary were banned from being shared online from all social media platforms including YouTube and Twitter. National Herald While addressing the media reporters, Pawan referred to Narendra Modi as the “Father of Hypocrisy” and accused him of oppressing media’s freedom and said,
Prime Minister Modi has received several awards from foreign entities and has publicly touted these. But when some foreign entities criticised him, they were raided or termed "anti-national." When Prime Minister Modi's past is exposed by the BBC, then he uses investigation agencies as his 'frontal organisations' to raid an international media outlet. This year, it is India's turn to host the G20, which is a big event, and "what image of India is Modi ji presenting to the world with this raid?" By giving the slogan of 'Mother of Democracy', he himself has become the 'father of hypocrisy.'
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Dr Kota Neelima (author and politician)
|Parents||Names not known
|Siblings||Sister- Rupam Khera (d. 22 May 2021, after fighting Covid-19)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Pawan Khera
- Pawan Khera is an Indian politician, public speaker, and social activist who held the post of the national spokesperson of the Indian National Congress (INC) in 2021. In February 2023, Pawan made headlines after he scorned the Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi by addressing him as “Narendra Gautamdas Modi,” instead of “Narendra Damodardas Modi” during a press conference in New Delhi.
- In the early 1980s, Pawan, before making his way to politics, worked as a journalist.
- While working in the youth wing of the Indian National Congress, Pawan, in 1991, left the Congress party after the assassination of former Indian Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.
- In the late 1990s, Pawan met with the Indian politician Sheila Dikshit, the longest-serving chief minister of Delhi, who held the position for three consecutive terms, 1998, 2003, and 2008. Influenced by her political opinions, Pawan rejoined the Congres party in 1998 and was appointed as the personal secretary of Sheila Dikshit.
- Pawan gradually learnt political skills during his stint as the personal secretary to Sheila Dikshit.
- In 2013, Pawan’s tenure as Sheila Dikshit’s secretary ended after Sheila lost the Delhi Legislative Assembly elections to the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
- Pawan Khera is often spotted smoking hookah on different occasions.
- Pawan, being an outspoken critic, has been appearing on various news channels since 2015 as a frontman, representing the Indian National Congress in various political debates and discussions. Known for his blunt vocal skills, Pawan has frequently criticised the strategies and political resolutions of the Bharatiya Janata Party.
- Pawan was appointed as the convenor of a poll committee of the Congress party prior to the 2019 Lok Sabha elections.
- In December 2022, Pawan Khera’s wife, Dr Kota Neelima was appointed as the general secretary of the Telangana Pradesh Congress Committee (TPCC).
- Pawan ardently participated in the Bharat Jodo Yatra in 2022, initiated by the Indian politician Rahul Gandhi.