Age: 95 Years
Religion: Sindhi Hindu
Death Date: 08/09/2019
|Full Name||Ram Boolchand Jethmalani|
|Profession||Lawyer, Jurist, Politician, Philanthropist, Entrepreneur|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in feet inches- 5’ 5”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 65 kg
in pounds- 143 lbs
|Hair Colour||White (semi-bald)|
|Political Parties||• Pavitra Hindustan Kazhagam (1995)
• Bharatiya Janata Party (2010-2013)
|Political Journey||• He contested the 1971 General Elections as an independent candidate from the Ulhasnagar constituency. He was supported by the Shiv Sena and Bhartiya Jan Sangh.
• Jethmalani was the chairman of the Bar Association of India during the Emergency period in India (1975-77).
• He retained his seat in the 1980 General Elections.
• Jethmalani could not retain his seat in the 1985 general elections. He lost to Sunil Dutt.
• In 1988, he became a Member of the Rajya Sabha.
• The Central Government of India in 1996 named him the Union Minister of Law, Justice and Company Affairs.
• He was given the charge of Union Ministry of Urban Affairs and Employment in 1998 which was the second tenure of the then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
• In October 1999, he was again given the portfolio of the Union Minister for Law, Justice and Company Affairs.
• In 2004, Jethmalani contested the General Elections as an independent candidate from the Lucknow Lok Sabha Constituency. He contested against Atal Bihari Vajpayee. He, however, lost the elections.
• In 2010, BJP gave him a Rajya Sabha ticket from Rajasthan and he was selected.
• In May 2013, he was expelled from the BJP for six years; as he made anti-party remarks.
• The Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) nominated him to the Rajya Sabha from Bihar.
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• International Jurist Award
• World Peace Through Law Award
|Date of Birth||14 September 1923 (Friday)|
|Birthplace||Shikharpur, British India (Now Pakistan)|
|Date of Death||8 September 2019 (Sunday)|
|Place of Death||At his official residence in New Delhi|
|Age (at the time of death)||95 Years|
|Death Cause||Prolonged illness|
|Hometown||Karachi, British India (Now Pakistan)|
|School||Sindh Model High School, Sukkur, Sindh (now in Pakistan)|
|College/University||• S.C. Shahani Law College, Karachi
• Bombay University, Bombay (now Mumbai University)
|Educational Qualification||• Bachelor of Laws from Bombay University
• Masters of Law from Bombay University
|Address||2, Akbar Road, New Delhi|
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status (at the time of death)||Married|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||In an interview, he stated that he had several exceedingly intimate relationships with many women. Times of India|
|Marriage Date||Durga Jethmalani (1941)
Ratna Shahani (14 August 1947)
|Wife/Spouse||Durga Jethmalani (First Wife)
Ratna Shahani (Second Wife)
• Mahesh Jethmalani (Adocate)
• Janak Jethmalani (Deceased)
• Rani Jethmalani
• Shobha Jethmalani
|Parents||Father- Boolchand Gurmukhdas Jethmalani
Mother- Parbati Boolchand
|Salary (approx.)||INR 25 Lakh/ hearing|
|Net Worth (approx.)||64.82 Crores INR (as in 2016)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ram Jethmalani
- Ram Jethmalani was a prominent Indian advocate and politician. He had served in positions such as the Minister of Law & Justice, Minister of Urban Development, Chairman of the Bar Council of India, President of the Supreme Court Bar Association, and many more.
- During his childhood, his father wanted him to become an engineer, but he wanted to pursue law as a career. He was inspired by his grandfather and father, who were lawyers too.
- He was a very bright student, and he got a double promotion because due to his intelligence. This made him complete his matriculation at the age of 13.
- He had completed his law degree at the age of 17.
- At the time, the minimum age of becoming a lawyer was 21. A special resolution was passed for him, which allowed him to complete his degree at the age of 18.
- Even though he obtained a law degree, he was not allowed to practice law; as the minimum age to appear in a court as a lawyer was 21. He appealed the issue to the legal system, and upon review, he was appointed as a practising lawyer at the age of 18.
- He had started his law firm in Karachi with his senior friend A.K. Brohi. His first client was a distressed landlord, and he charged him 1 INR for the case.
- In 1948, when riots broke out in Karachi, Brohi advised him to leave Pakistan for security reason. Once, in an interview, he stated that leaving everything was very traumatic for him.
- He came to India as a refugee, and he settled in refugee camps in Bombay. Although he had a law degree and six years of practice, he had to qualify from the Bombay University again.
- In 1954, Jethmalani became a part-time professor at Government Law College and he used to teach graduate and post-graduate students.
- He served as a Chairman of Bar Association of India for 4 tenures both before and after the Emergency period.
- He was known for speaking frankly, and he had proved it several times. In 2011, at a reception hosted by the Pakistan High Commission for the Pakistan Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar, and in the presence of Chinese ambassador, Jethmalani called China an enemy of both India and Pakistan.
References/Sources: [ + ]
|1.||↑||Times of India|