Some Lesser Known Facts About Bear Grylls
- Does Bear Grylls smoke?: Yes
- Does Bear Grylls drink Alcohol?: Yes
- Bear Grylls was born in Donaghadee, County Down, Northern Ireland. He grew up in Donaghadee until the age of four, when his family moved to Bembridge on the Isle of Wight.
- His Father, Sir Michael Grylls was a politician who was implicated in the cash-for-questions affair and his Mother Sarah, Lady Grylls is the daughter of politician Patricia Ford.
- Bear Grylls has one sibling, an elder sister, Lara Fawcett, a cardio-tennis coach, who gave him the nickname ‘Bear’ when he was a week old.
- Grylls studied at Ludgrove School and Eton College, and have done his graduation in Hispanic studies from the University of West of England.
- In his childhood, he learned to climb and sail with his father, who was a member of the prestigious Royal Yacht Squadron and during his teenage he learned skydiving and earned a second Dan Black Belt in Shotokan karate.
- Grylls is very religious person. Once he described his religion as a backbone of his Life.
- Grylls is polyglot. He can speak English, Spanish and French fluently.
- After leaving the school, he wanted to join Indian Army to have an opportunity to reach the summit of Himalayan Mountains.
- In 1996, Grylls survived a freefall parachuting accident in Zambia. His parachute ripped at 4,900 meters partially opening, causing him to fall and land on his parachute pack on his back, which partially bruised his three vertebrae.
- On 16 May 1998, Grylls accomplished his childhood dream of climbing to the summit of Mount Everest in Nepal, 18 months after breaking three vertebrae in a parachuting accident in Zambia. At 23, he was at that time among the youngest people to have achieved this feat.
- In 2000, Grylls has circumnavigated British Isles by water scooter. He took 30 days for this journey and accumulated money for Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI).
- In 2003, he crossed the North Atlantic Ocean from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada to John o’ Groats, Scotland; during this journey he encountered force 8 gale winds.
- In 2004, he was given the honorary rank of lieutenant commander in the Royal Naval Reserve.
- Two years later, alongside the balloonist and mountaineer David Hempleman-Adams and Lieutenant Commander Alan Veal, leader of the Royal Navy Freefall Parachute Display Team, Grylls created a world record for the highest open-air formal dinner party, which they did under a hot-air balloon at 7,600 meters (25,000 ft), dressed in full mess dress and oxygen masks.
- Grylls has set a record of paramotering over the Himalayas in 2008, he took off from 4,400 meters (14,500 ft), 8 miles south of the mountain and reached 9000 meters almost 3,000 meters (10,000 ft) higher than the previous record of 6,102 meters (20,019 ft). To achieve this feat he did cope with −60 °C temperature.
- Grylls, along with two amputees Al Hodgson and the Scotsman Freddy MacDonald, set a Guinness world record in 2008 for the longest continuous indoor free-fall.
- In July 2009, Grylls was appointed the youngest-ever Chief Scout in the UK at age 35.
- In his first book, “The Kid Who Climbed Everest” he has described his expedition and achievements climbing to the summit of Mount Everest. His second, “Facing the Frozen Ocean”, was shortlisted for the William Hill Sports Book of the Year Award 2004. His third book is “Born Survivor“, this book features survival skills learned from some of the world’s most hostile places.
- In 2013 he was awarded the honorary rank of lieutenant colonel in the Royal Marines Reserve.
- Grylls is an ambassador for The Prince’s Trust, an organization which provides training, financial, and practical support to young people in the United Kingdom. He is vice president for The JoLt Trust, a small charity that takes disabled, disadvantaged, abused or neglected young people on challenging month-long expeditions.
- He is very famous for the show “Man vs Wild”, that was released in 2006. This show has got 76 episodes including 10 special episodes.
- In December 2015, American President Barack Obama came together with Bear Grylls on Television in Alaska.
📢⚡TRENDING: Watch the biography of REAL "Gully Boy" - Naezy⚡