|Real Name||Ramachandra Guha|
|Awards/Recognition||• In 2001, awarded Leopold-Hidy Prize of the American Society for Environmental History for his essay "Prehistory of Community Forestry in India."
• In 2002, awarded the Daily Telegraph Cricket Society Book of the Year prize for "A Corner of a Foreign Field."
• In 2003, won the R. K. Narayan Prize at the Chennai Book Fair.
• In May 2008, listed one of the top 100 public intellectuals in the world by the US magazine Foreign Policy.
• In 2009, awarded Padma Bhushan by the Government of India.
• In 2011, won Sahitya Akademi Award for India after Gandhi.
• In 2015, won Fukuoka Asian Culture Prize.
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 178 cm
in meters- 1.78 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 10”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 68 kg
in Pounds- 150 lbs
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Date of Birth||29 April 1958|
|Age (as in 2016)||58 Years|
|Birth Place||Dehra Dun, Uttar Pradesh (now in Uttarakhand)|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Taurus|
|School||The Doon School, Dehradun, Uttarakhand, India|
|College/University||St. Stephen's College, University of Delhi
Delhi School of Economics
|Educational Qualifications||BA in Economics in 1977 from St. Stephens, University of Delhi
Master's from the Delhi School of Economics
A fellowship program (equivalent to a PhD) on the social history of forestry in Uttarakhand from IIM Calcutta
|Family||Father- Subramaniam Ramdas Guha (Indian Forest Official)
Mother- Name Not Known (High-school teacher)
Brother- Not Known
Sister- Not Known
|Hobbies||Reading, Writing, Traveling|
|Favorite Leader||Mahatma Gandhi|
|Favorite Cricketer||Sachin Tendulkar|
|Favorite Food||Sticky rice with a curry of fresh Asian greens, Piping hot corn soup|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Wife||Sujata Keshavan (graphic designer)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ramachandra Guha
- Does Ramachandra Guha smoke:? Not Known
- Does Ramachandra Guha drink alcohol:? Not Known
- He was born to a Tamil family and brought up in Dehra Dun, Uttar Pradesh (Now Uttarkhand), India.
- His mother was a high-school teacher and his father was a director at the Forest Research Institute.
- Guha was an editor of The Doon School Weekly at the Doon School in Dehradun.
- From 1985 to 2000, he taught at various Universities in India, North America and Europe including the Yale University, The University of California, Berkely, Oslo University and Stanford University.
- In the mid-90s, he moved to Bangalore (now Bengaluru) and became a full-time writer.
- He also served as the visiting professor at the Indian Insitute of Science (IISc) Bengaluru.
- He is called a Serial Historian and has written extensively on various subjects like environment, cricket, post-Independence national history and tribes.
- His first book- The Unquiet Woods: Ecological Change and Peasant Resistance in the Himalaya, was published in 1989.
- In an interview, he revealed that he became a non-vegetarian during his schools days at the Doon school in Dehra Dun. However, later he turned vegetarian.
- His book on cricket in India- A Corner of a Foreign Field: The Indian History of a British Sport, has also earned critical acclaims.
- On 30 January 2017, the Supreme Court of India formed a panel headed by Vinod Rai to run BCCI including Ramachandra Guha, Diana Edulji (Former Indian Cricketer) and Vikram Limaye (IDFC Managing Director), a few weeks after the BCCI’s president Anurag Thakur and secretary Ajay Shirke were removed by the Supreme Court because of their inability to implement the Justice Lodha Panel recommendations.
📢⚡TRENDING: Watch the biography of REAL "Gully Boy" - Naezy⚡