|Profession(s)||IAS officer, Professor|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 178 cm
in meters- 1.78 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 10”
|Provincial Civil Service|
|Indian Administrative Service|
|Date of Joining||23 August 2017
Note: He was promoted and inducted into Indian Administrative Service against the vacancies from the State Civil Service quota of Punjab.
|Positions Held||• Special Secretary — Social Security — Women & Child Dev (from 24 August 2017 to 15 July 2018)
• Special Secretary — Department of Cooperation, Punjab govt— Agricultural Marketing / Agriculture & Cooperation (from 16 July 2018 to 23 September 2019)
• Director — Sports & Youth — Youth Affairs & Sports (24 September 2019)
• Special Secretary — Sports & Youth Services (Addl.)
• CEO of the Punjab Water Supply and Sewerage Board
• Appointed as the Commissioner for persons with disabilities and Director of Pensions in May 2022
|Date of Birth||21 September 1963 (Saturday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||59 Years|
|School||St. Francis School, Amritsar, Punjab|
|College/University||• Guru Nanak Dev University Amritsar Sanjay Popli- Facebook
• Hindu College, Amritsar
|Educational Qualification||• A bachelor's degree in English Literature
• A bachelor's degree in Geography
• M. Phil. (American Literature)
• M.A. English from Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar ToAZ- Punjab IAS officers complete as on 20th may 2020.pdf
|Address||House No. 520, Sector 11, Chandigarh|
On 20 June 2022, Sanjay Popli was arrested in a bribery case following the discovery of a video, which was produced by the Karnal-based contractor Sanjay Kumar on the anti-corruption helpline. The video showed Sanjay demanding the second instalment of a bribe worth Rs 7 lakhs for the allotment of a tender pertaining to sewerage works in Nawanshahr, Punjab. The Tribune
Accused under Arms Act
A day after Sanjay Popli's arrest on 20 June 2022, the Chandigarh Police registered a case against him under the Arms Act after the Vigilance Bureau claimed to have found unaccounted live cartridges from his house during anti-corruption raids during which they recovered 73 bullets, 41 of 7.65 bore, 30 of .22 bore and two of .32 bore. The Tribune
Charges of Extortion, False Evidence, and Criminal Conspiracy
On 24 June 2022, charges of extortion, false evidence and criminal conspiracy were levelled against Sanjay Popli and an unidentified woman. The Indian Express
Accusing Vigilance Bureau of killing Kartik Popli
On 25 June 2022, the Punjab vigilance team searched Sanjay Popli's house in Sector-11, Chandigarh, during which his son, Kartik Popli, died of gunshot injuries. Popli’s family accused the vigilance bureau officials of shooting Kartik. While addressing the media, Sanjay Popli claimed that he was an eyewitness to the murder of his son. However, Chandigarh’s SSP Kuldeep Chahal denied Sanjay's claims and said that the vigilance team was undertaking a raid on the premises of the Popli house when they heard a gunshot and realized that Kartik had shot himself with his licensed gun. Thereafter, Kartik was rushed to hospital, where he was declared dead on arrival. The Print The vigilance team recovered nearly 12 kgs of gold and silver from arrested Sanjay Popli's house in Chandigarh, which included 9 gold bricks, 49 gold biscuits, 12 gold coins, 3 silver bricks, 18 silver coins, 4 iPhones, and Rs. 3.5 lakh in cash.
While narrating the incident, Sanjay's wife, Shree, said that the team came to their home and took Kartik to the first floor for interrogation. She said,
"They started pressuring him… They did not allow me to go upstairs, despite my requests. I somehow managed to catch a glimpse from the staircase and saw that they had a gun aimed at my son. I tried to go upstairs but was stopped. Moments later, I heard a gunshot. They killed my son."
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Shree Popli (or Sri Popli)
|Children||Son- Kartik Popli (a law graduate who was preparing for the judicial service examination before his death on 25 June 2022)
|Parents||Father- K.C. Popli
Mother- Usha Popli (died on 17 August 2020 in PGIMER, Chandigarh)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sanjay Popli
- Sanjay Popli is a former Indian professor and an IAS officer who was arrested over corruption charges on 20 June 2022.
- After completing his formal education, he served as a Professor of English and American Literature at St. Bede’s College, Shimla from July 1990 to May 1992.
- He became a PCS officer in 1992 after which he was posted as SDM in various districts of Punjab.
- While he was serving as the SDM of Jalalabad in 1997, he had a quarrel with a police officer, following which he was transferred.
- He was given adverse remarks in his Annual Confidential Report (ACR) for the year 2003-2004. His general assessment read,
He was found of ‘eloping’ from sub-divisional headquarters which an SDM can ill afford. Refused to mend his ways in spite of repeated advice/warnings.”
At that time, he had filed a case for being granted the designation of Joint Secretary and for placement in the pay scale admissible in relation to the designation.
- Following his allotment as an IAS officer in the Punjab cadre in 2008, Popli had to fight a legal battle to be elevated to the position. He was reportedly denied an integrity certificate by the then Chief Secretary. Popli was included in the combined eligibility list of vacancies for consideration for promotion to the IAS, from 2010 to 2013 consecutively. In 2016, he filed a petition in the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) for considering his promotion for the Indian Administrative Service with retrospective effect from 2010. Popli said the UPSC had rejected his representation on the basis of his ACR (for the year 2007-08). He accused the IAS branch of the Punjab government of probably tampering with and misrepresenting his records.
- After his elevation to the IAS, Popli served in the Industries Department, Welfare of SC and BC Department, Pensions, etc.
- Since childhood, he was fond of playing cricket. He earned the title of Best Bowler during a cricket match between Punjab Governor’s IAS Eleven and Haryana Governor’s IAS Eleven, which was held at Punjab Cricket Association IS Bindra Stadium, Mohali.
- He can speak four languages, Hindi, Punjabi, English, and Urdu.