|Full name||Shamita Surendra Shetty Zauba Corp|
|Profession(s)||Actor, Model, Interior Designer|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm
in meters- 1.68 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 6”
|Hair Colour||Dark Brown|
|Debut||Bollywood: Mohabbatein (2000) as Ishika Dhanrajgir
Kollywood: Raajjiyam (2002) as Geeta Karthikeyan
Tollywood: Pilisthe Palukutha (2003) as Shanti
TV: Bigg Boss 3 (2009)
OTT/Web series: Yo Ke Hua Bro (2017) as Suman Rao
|Date of Birth||2 February 1979 (Friday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||43 Years|
|School||St. Anthony’s Girls’ High School, Mumbai|
|College/University||• Sydenham College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai
• SNDT Women’s University, Mumbai
• Inchbald School of Design, London
• Central Saint Martins, London
|Educational Qualification Golden Leaf Interiors||• A bachelor's degree in commerce
• A three-year course in fashion designing at SNDT Women’s University, Mumbai
• Interior design and decoration courses at Inchbald School of Design and Central Saint Martins, London
|Ethnicity||She belongs to a Tulu family hailing The Times of India from the Bunt community of Udupi. India Today|
|Food Habit||Non-Vegetarian Bollywood Hungama|
|Address||Aditya Apartment, 701 D-Wing, opposite Versova Telephone Exchange, S.V.P. Nagar, Andheri West, Mumbai, Maharashtra, 400053|
|Controversies||• In 2007, Shamita's wardrobe malfunction made headlines when her skirt rode up momentarily exposing her private parts. The incident took place at the launch party of the film ‘Awarapan.’ The Times of India
• She had another clothing failure in 2013 while attending Raveena Tandon’s jewellery launch event. The picture clicked by the paparazzi in the event featured Shamita braless in a see-through black dress. Bollywood Biography
• In 2019, she was slammed by her fanbase for behaving rudely with a nervous fan. Her behaviour was captured by a paparazzo in a video that went viral. In the video, Shamita was seen walking towards her car when a girl approached the actress for a selfie. Shamita, who was already in an annoyed mood, grabbed the girl’s hand and rudely directed her to click a picture. Her arrogance was criticized by her fanbase, who credited her sister, Shilpa Shetty, for her stardom. RCVJ
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Boyfriends||• First boyfriend died in a car crash
• Raqesh Bapat (2021-2022)
Note: In July 2022, she took to Instagram to announce her break-up with Raquesh. She wrote, "Raqesh and I are no longer together and have not been for a while." NDTV
|Parents||Father- Surendra Shetty
Mother- Sunanda Shetty
Note: Shamita Shetty's parents are manufacturers of tamper-proof water caps in the pharmaceutical industry.
|Siblings||Sister- Shilpa Shetty (Indian Actress)
|Dessert||Dark Chocolate Pastry|
|Fast Food||French Fries|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Shamita Shetty
- Shamita Shetty is an Indian model, actress, and interior designer. She is well known for appearing in the films Mohabbatein (2000) and Zeher (2005) and the song Sharara Sharara (2002). She is the sister of Bollywood celebrity Shilpa Shetty.
- She began her career as an intern for the renowned Indian fashion designer Manish Malhotra, who encouraged her to make a career in the entertainment industry.
- Her debut role of Ishika Dhanrajgir in the Bollywood romantic drama film ‘Mohabbatein’ (2000) earned her the title of Best Female Debut at the 2001 IIFA Awards. In the film, Ishika is a student at an all-girls college, who is the love interest of Vicky, a student of the prestigious all-boys college called Gurukul. The film received critical acclamation and won various accolades.
- She rose to prominence when she appeared in the chartbuster item number “Sharara Sharara” from the Bollywood film ‘Mere Yaar Ki Shaadi Hai’ (2002).
- In the 2003 Telugu film ‘Pilisthe Palukutha,’ she played the role of a college student named Shanti, who suffers from a brain tumour. Shanti is also a religious fanatic, who follows Indian spiritual master Sai Baba.
- In the Bollywood mystery thriller film ‘Zeher: A Love Story’ (2005), she played the lead role of Sonia Mehra, which secured her a nomination for Star of the Year – Female at Stardust Awards (2006). In the film, Sonia Mehra is a special police force officer, whose husband (Siddharth) falls in love with a local married woman named Anna.
- Other Bollywood films in which she appeared include Wajahh: A Reason to Kill (2004), Fareb (2004), Cash (2007), and Hari Puttar: A Comedy of Terrors (2008).
- She walked out of the Colors’ game show Bigg Boss (Season 3) during the sixth week to attend her sister Shilpa Shetty‘s wedding.
- Later, she broke away from the film industry to pursue a career in interior designing. She began by designing a nightclub in Mumbai named Royalty, which is acquired by her family. She designed the club without any technical knowledge in the field. In an interview, she said,
I just happened to do interiors of a night club and I did it with no technical knowledge… That’s when I decided when I am doing something… I would want to be technically sound with what I do.”
Thereafter, she moved to London, where she studied interior design. Upon her arrival back in Mumbai, she worked with an architect for a year to gain experience. Later, she started her own company, Golden Leaf Interiors. Another project designed by her includes IOSIS spa in Chandigarh and a few properties abroad.
- In 2015, she contested in the dance reality show Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 8, along with her partner Deepak Singh, in which she secured the third position.
- After a long hiatus, she returned to the entertainment industry with the web series ‘Yo Ke Hua Bro’ (2017) in which she played one of the protagonists Suman Rao. The series centred around Mahendra and Piyush, two young boys in search of their dream girl.
- She was a contestant in the 2019 television show ‘Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi’ (Season 9) in which she secured the fourth position. The stunt-based reality show aired on Colors.
- She appeared in the ZEE5 original dark comedy series ‘Black Widows’ (2020) as Kavita Tharoor. The series follows three women (Veera, Jayati, and Kavita) who plan and execute the murder of their abusive husbands to get rid of the wed-locked life.
- She appeared as a contestant in the reality show Bigg Boss OTT from 8 August 2021 to 18 September 2021. The show exclusively aired on OTT Platforms Voot and Voot Select. She was the second runner up in the show.
- While she was contesting in the 2021 popular Indian reality game show ‘Bigg Boss OTT,’ she developed romantic feelings for her fellow housemate Raqesh Bapat, an Indian actor.
After the show ended, the couple were spotted together on various dates by the paparazzi. Additionally, in the show, she revealed that she had remained single for long as she was heartbroken after her first boyfriend died in a car crash.
- Following Bigg Boss OTT, she made an entrance in Colors’ ‘Bigg Boss 15,’ which premiered on 2 October 2021.
- In 2021, she played the central character named Meera in the film ‘The Tenant.’ In the film, Meera, an alluring cosmopolitan woman, attracts everyone’s attention when she arrives in a middle-class housing society.
- Since April 2008, she is a director of the S-2 Global Productions Private Limited company, along with her parents and sister, Shilpa Shetty.
- Previously, Shamita was the director of the now-defunct company Esco Closures Private Limited.
- In an interview, the actress confessed that she started rejecting the roles offered when a string of her films failed to release due to various reasons. Apparently, she was following the ideology of quality over quantity. Soon, the offers became scarce, which led her to establish a career in interior designing. In an interview, she said,
I shot for four films but none of them released because of various reasons. So, I started becoming conscious about the kind of films I do. I realised that a film has to have the right backing and then I started saying no to lot of work that came my way and people started thinking that I was not interested.”
- To play the role of Ishika in ‘Mohabbatein’ (2000), she rejected a role offered to her in the epic musical sports film ‘Lagaan’ (2001).
- A fitness fanatic, she consumes lactose and gluten-free food to maintain her physique.
- She fractured her nose while rehearsing for her performance in ‘Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa’ (2015) after dashing into her choreographer and partner, Deepak Singh.
- In 2020, she appeared in the interview-style show ‘No More Secrets,’ in which she revealed that she had buck teeth and a bowl haircut during her childhood, which she hated. Hence, when she grew up she got rid of all the pictures, which featured her between the age of eight to fourteen by tearing them.
- She has two pet cats.
- She is an active member of HelpAge India that aims at promoting awareness about Elderly Abuse.
- She suffers from Colitis, a disease that causes a burning sensation in the large intestine. Hence, she follows certain food restrictions.