Some Lesser Known Facts About Shammi Aunty
- She was born in a Parsi family as Nargis Rabadi.
- Her father was an ‘Agyari'(Parsi fire temple) priest and he died when she was just three years old.
- Shammi’s elder sister Mani Rabadi was a fashion designer and worked majorly with many actresses as their dress designer in Hindi films.
- Acting happened to her accidentally, her family friend Chinnu Mama introduced her to the film producer/ actor- Sheikh Mukhtar.
- Sheikh Mukhtar asked her to sign a three-year contract and change her real name ‘Nargis’ to ‘Shammi’ as there was another actress in the industry with the same name.
- Just at the age of 18, she got her debut film- Ustad Pedro(1949) as a protagonist and film was a hit at the box office.
- Back then, her salary was Rs. 500 and she was the only breadwinner of her family.
- In 1952, when her film- ‘Sangdil’ starring Dilip Kumar and Madhubala got flopped, and she took a sabbatical of about seven months.
- She was married to the film director- Sultan Ahmed for seven years and had two miscarriages during that period. She later parted her ways with her husband and never got a chance to be a mother all her life.
- She was also close friends with the Bollywood legend- Amitabh Bachchan.
- She had acted in more than 200 films.
- In 1971, she also won the BFJA Award as ‘Best Supporting Actress’ for ‘Samaj Ko Badal Dalo’.
- On March 6th of 2018, she died of chronic illness.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of IPL Winners (2008-2018)