|Real Name||Amitabh Harivansh Rai Shrivastava|
|Nickname||Munna, Big B, Angry Young Man, AB Sr., Amith, Shahenshah of Bollywood|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 185 cm
in meters- 1.85 m
in Feet Inches- 6’ 1”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 80 kg
in Pounds- 176 lbs
|Body Measurements||- Chest: 42 Inches
- Waist: 34 Inches
- Biceps: 13 Inches
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Date of Birth||11 October 1942|
|Age (as in 2016)||74 Years|
|Birth Place||Allahabad, United Provinces (now Uttar Pradesh),
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Libra|
|Hometown||Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh (presently lives in Mumbai)|
|School||Jnana Pramodhini, Boys High School, Allahabad|
|College||Sherwood College, Nainital, India
Kirori Mal College, New Delhi, India
|Educational Qualifications||Bachelor of Science|
|Debut||Film- Saat Hindustani (1969)
Television- Kaun Banega Crorepati (KBC)- 2000
|Family||Father- Harivansh Rai Bachchan, Poet
Mother- Teji Bachchan, Shyama (step-mother)
Brother- Ajitabh Bachchan
B/2, Kapol Housing Society,
VL Mehta Road, Juhu, Mumbai – 400049, Maharashtra, India
|Hobbies||Singing, Blogging, Reading|
|Likes||Collecting Pens, Travelling to London & Switzerland|
|Dislikes||He hates the word Bollywood and Beti B (for her granddaughter)|
|Controversies||• His name appeared in the Bofors scandal in which he was later declared not-guilty.
• He was indicted for submitting false-documents to prove that he is a farmer.
• Stardust imposed a 15-year ban on him during his peak acting years.
• In 1996, he had to face a legal battle for organizing Miss World competition inappropriately.
|Favourite Food||Bhindi Sabzi, Jalebi, Kheer|
|Favourite Actor||Dilip Kumar|
|Favourite Actress||Waheeda Rehman|
|Favourite Film||Kagaz Ke Phool, Gone With The Wind, Ganga Jamuna, Black, Godfather, Scarface, Pyasa|
|Favourite Cars||Rolls-Royce Phantom, Bentley Arnage R
|Favourite Book||Madhushala by Harivansh Rai Bachchan|
|Favourite Destination||London, Switzerland|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Marriage Date||3 June 1973|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Late Parveen Babi, Indian Actress
Rekha, Indian Actress
Jaya Bhaduri, Indian Politician (former Indian Actress)
|Wife/Spouse||Jaya Bhaduri Bachchan, Indian Politician & Former Indian Actress
|Children||Son- Abhishek Bachchan (Actor)
Daughter- Shweta Bachchan-Nanda
|Cars Collection||Bentley Arnage R, Bentley Continental GT, Lexus LX 470, Mercedes-Benz SL 500 AMG, Porche Cayman S, Range Rover SUV, Mini Cooper, Rolls Royce Phantom, Toyota Land Cruiser, BMW 760Li, BMW X5, Mercedes Benz S320, Mercedes Benz S600, Mercedes Benz E240|
|Salary||20 Crores/film (INR)
|Net Worth||$400 million (approx.)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Amitabh Bachchan
- Does Amitabh Bachchan smoke?: No (quit smoking since early 1980s)
- Does Amitabh Bachchan drink alcohol?: No (quit drinking since early 1980s)
- He was born to Harivansh Rai Bachchan and Teji Bachchan in Allahabad district of Uttar Pradesh.
- His forefathers belonged to a village- Babupatti of Pratapgarh district in Uttar Pradesh.
- His mother, Teji Bachchan, was a Sikh and hailed from Lyallpur (now Faisalabad), Punjab.
- His father, Harivansh Rai Bachchan, was a renowned Hindi poet.
- Initially, he was named- Inquilab but after the suggestion of Sumitranandan Pant (fellow poet of Harivansh Rai Bachchan) changed to Amitabh which means- The light that will never die.
- Although his real surname was Srivastava but his father replaced it with Bachchan, which was his pen name.
- His mother had interest in theaters and she was even offered a feature film role which she denied later and preferred her domestic duties.
- When he was young, he wanted to become an engineer and was eager to join the Indian Air Force.
- Amitabh, known for his Baritone voice, was rejected by All India Radio.
- Before making his acting debut in Saat Hindustani, he made his film debut as voice narrator in the National Award winning film- Bhuvan Shome (1969) by Mrinal Sen.
- For his role as a Doctor in the 1971 film- Anand, he was awarded with his first Filmare Award for Best Supporting Actor.
- He 1st time shared screen with his future wife Jaya Bhaduru in the film- Guddi (1971) in which he made a guest appearance.
- He rose to stardom after the 1973 film- Zanjeer by Prakash Mehra in which he played the role of Inspector Vijay Khanna. This film gave him the nickname- Angry Young Man and was considered one of the most iconic performances in the history of Bollywood.
- On 26 July 1982, he suffered a near-fatal injury while filming Coolie at the University Campus in Bangalore.
- After the Coolie incident, he was diagnosed with Myasthenia gravis (a long term neuromuscular disease that leads to varying degrees of muscle weakness).
- In 1984, he took a break from acting and entered politics to support his friend Rajiv Gandhi. He contested from the Allahabad seat in the 8th Lok Sabha elections against H.N. Bahuguna. He won with the highest victory-margin in the history of general election (68.2% of the vote).
- After 3 years in politics, he resigned calling politics a cesspool.
- When his company- ABCL failed, his friend, Amar Singh, helped him financially and Amitabh started to support Amar Singh and his party- Samajwadi Party.
- He won his 1st National Film Award for the Best Actor for his role of a Mafia Don in the 1990 film- Agneepath.
- After the box-office failure of his film- Insaniyat (1994), he didn’t appear in any film for 5 years.
- In 1996, he formed his film production company- Amitbah Bachchan Corporation Limited (ABCL). ABCL was the main sponsor of the 1996 Miss World beauty pageant at Bangalore but lost millions.
- His career and fame was revived in 2000, when he made his television debut with a game show- Kaun Banega Crorepati (KBC).
- In June 2000, he became the 1st living Asian whose statue was modeled at the London’s Madame Tussauds Wax Museum.
- He can write evenly well with both of his hands.
- Here’s a conversation with Amitabh Bachchan: