|Real Name||Shatrughan Prasad Sinha|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 183 cm
in meters- 1.83 m
in Feet Inches- 6’
|Weight (Approx.)||in Kilograms- 86 kg
in Pounds- 190 lbs
|Eye Colour||Light Brown|
|Date of Birth||9 December 1945|
|Age (as in 2016)||71 Years|
|Birth Place||Patna, Bihar, British India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Sagittarius|
|College||Patna Science College
Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune
|Educational Qualifications||Course in Acting|
|Debut||Film: Sajan (1969)
Politics: Shatrughan Sinha's tryst with politics began when he joined the BJP in 1991.
|Awards/Achievements||• Awarded the Bengal Film Journalists' Association Award for Best Supporting Actor for 'Tanhai' in 1973.
• Honored with the Stardust Life Time Achievement Award in 2003.
• In 2007, awarded the National Kishore Kumar Samman.
• Bestowed with Zee Cine Award for Lifetime Achievement in 2011.
• Recognized for his 'Outstanding Contribution to Indian Cinema' at the 2014 IIFA Awards.
|Political Journey||• In 1992, contested in the by-elections from the New Delhi constituency, against actor and "dear friend" Rajesh Khanna. Sinha, however, lost the elections by a margin of 25,000 votes.
• Became a cabinet minister under the Prime Ministership of Atal Bihari Vajpayee. Took charge of the Department of Health and Family Welfare (Jan 2003-May 2004) and the Department of Shipping (August 2004).
• Appointed the head of the BJP Culture and Arts Department in May 2006.
• Won the Patna Sahib Lok Sabha constituency in Bihar during the Indian general elections in 2009. The actor defeated rival Shekhar Suman by securing 316,472 votes out of a total of 552,293 votes.
• Again won the seat in subsequent Indian general elections in 2014.
|Family||Father- Bhubaneswari Prasad Sinha
Mother- Shyama Devi Sinha
Brothers- Ram, Lakshman, Bharat (all elder)
|Address||104, Green Star Apartments, Rizvi Complex, Sherly Rajan Road, Pali Hill, Mumbai 400050|
|Hobbies||Listening to Music, Practising Yoga|
|Controversies||• Time and again, Shatrughan Sinha has made statements which highlight his dislike for Amitabh Bachchan. In his autobiography titled 'Anything But Khamosh', the actor-turned-politician has opened about how Amitabh considered him a threat and mistreated him on the sets. A snippet from the book reads, "Amitabh's mother once praised my wife on her 'Karva Chauth' fast, to which Amitabh said, 'Poor thing, after all those fasts, look at what she ultimately got.' However, it seems that the two stars have now set their differences aside.
• During the unveiling of a Yash Chopra statue in 2013, Shatrughan made a huge 'blooper' while addressing Rani Mukerji in his speech. The veteran actor referred to her as 'Rani Chopra' instead, thus deliberately clearing the air on Rani Mukherji's alleged affair with Aditya Chopra.
|Favourite Actor||Raj Kapoor|
|Favourite Song||"Pukaro Mujhe Phir Pukaro" from the movie 'Buniyad' (1972)|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
Reena Roy, Actress (Extra-marrital affair)
|Wife/Spouse||Poonam Sinha (Actress, former Miss Young India)
|Marriage Date||July 9, 1980|
|Children||Son- Luv Sinha (Actor), Kush Sinha
Daughter- Sonakshi Sinha (Actress)
|Net Worth||INR 131 Crore (as in 2014)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Shatrughan Sinha
- Does Shatrughan Sinha smoke: Yes
- Does Shatrughan Sinha drink alcohol: Not Known
- Born and brought up in Patna, Bihar, Shatrughan Sinha was one of the first Bollywood actors from the region.
- In his childhood, Sinha could mimic the voices of as many as 40 celebrities. In addition, he idolized actor Raj Kapoor and dreamt of becoming like him.
- His father, however, wanted two of his sons to become doctors and the other two, scientists. Though his brothers submitted into his father’s aspirations, ‘shotgun’ was not one of those who gave up easily. Defying all odds, Sinha got an admission into the Film and Technology Institute of India (FTII), Pune.
- One fine day, Sinha’s idol, Raj Kapoor, happened to visit the FTII. Luckily, Sinha and some of his friends got an invitation from the actor to visit his studio named R.K. Studios. At the venue, Raj Kapoor offered them cigarettes; however, Sinha’s friends declined the offer as it would seem ‘unethical’ to accept cigarettes from such a senior artist. But, Sinha looked at the scenario from a different angle and could not turn down the offering of his idol. After lighting up, Sinha didn’t know where to throw the cigarette’s ash as the ashtrays lying on the table looked like fruit bowls to him. Confused, he collected the ash in his pocket and came back with a “hole in his pocket.”
- Dev Anand starrer Prem Pujari, wherein Sinha played a Pakistani military officer, was supposed to be his debut movie. However, the film got stuck in post-production delays and thus Sinha made his debut with the 1969 movie ‘Sajan’.
- Sinha first met his future wife, Poonam, on a train. In an interview, Sinha said that when he boarded the train, he saw Poonam crying. Thus, he scribbled a message on a magazine and passed it on, which angered her further. His message had read, “Itni sundar ladki ko rona shobha nahi deta.”
- Slowly the two became friends and decided to get married. However, Poonam’s family stood as an obstacle in their path to happiness. Her mother dismissed their marriage stating that her fair daughter will not look good with a “Kaalia” (a dark person) like him.
- His 1976 movie ‘Kaalicharan’ became a rage at the time of its release. Impressed by such a response, Shatrughan Sinha announced a month’s salary as a bonus to the unit members of ‘Kalicharan’, within 24 hours of its release.
- Aside from being an actor, Sinha became an active politician in the 90’s.
- It is believed that ‘Shotgun’ Sinha and late actor Rajesh Khanna were very close friends. However, after tasting a big defeat by the hands of Rajesh Khanna in the 1992 by-elections, the two became bitter enemies and even refrained from talking to each other.
- He is also referred to as the ‘Big B’ of Bhojpuri TV industry as he hosts the Bhojpuri version of the popular game show- Kaun Banega Crorepati. Additionally, the actor-turned-politician was seen as a judge on the now defunct Star One’s popular Comedy Show, The Great Indian Laughter Challenge Season 4.
- Interestingly, Shatrughan Sinha was the first choice for the role of ‘Jai’ played by Amitabh Bachchan in the 1975 cult classic- Sholay.
- Sinha and his wife Poonam also own a production house by the name of ‘Shotgun Movies’.