Some Lesser Known Facts About Steven Spielberg
- Does Steven Spielberg smoke?: Yes
- Spielberg’s paternal grandparents were Ukrainian Jews who immigrated to the United States in the 1900s.
- Being an orthodox Jew, he suffered from anti-Semitic (Anti-Jew) prejudice and bullying: “In high school, I got smacked and kicked around. Two bloody noses. It was horrible”, Spielberg said in an interview.
- Since childhood, he had a wish to be a director.
- When he was 12, he started making films.
- As a kid, Spielberg recorded family events using an 8-mm camera and made some horror films with his younger sisters.
- His short film Amblin’ (1968) got the attention of the Universal Pictures and he was signed by it to a seven-year contract.
- When he divorced his first wife Amy, he had to give $100 million alimony to Amy. It was the third most costly celebrity divorce in history.
- He met his second wife when he cast her in Indiana Jones and the Temple Doom.
- Back in 1977, George Lucas lost a bet to Spielberg worth $40 million. Spielberg told this story in an interview, “he came to me and he said, ‘Oh my God, your movie is going to be so much more successful than ‘Star Wars’! This is gonna be the biggest hit of all time. I can’t believe this set. I can’t believe what you’re getting, and oh my goodness.’ He said, ‘All right, I’ll tell you what. I’ll trade some points with you. You want to trade some points? I’ll give you 2.5% of ‘Star Wars’ if you give me 2.5% of ‘Close Encounters.’ So I said, ‘Sure, I’ll gamble with that. Great.” Later on, Close Encounters made $304 million while Lucas’s movie made $775 million at the global box office.
- His film Jurassic Park was the highest grossing movie in 1993.
- Spielberg did not get any salary for making his 1993 film ‘Schindler’s List’. This movie received seven Academy Awards. Many film actors lobbied Spielberg for the role of Oscar Schindler but he took Liam Neeson for the role. At that time Liam Neeson was not so popular, he got his breakthrough from this movie.
- In 2006, he was listed among ‘100 Most Important People of the Century’ by TIME magazine.
- When actress Drew Barrymore posed nude for Playboy magazine, Spielberg sent her a quilt and a note that said: “Cover yourself up.” Also, he is godfather to actresses Drew Barrymore and Gwyneth Paltrow.
- Spielberg is one of the largest gun collectors on the East Coast.
- He hates coffee, ever since he was a child.
- He has cast his dog in his several movies. Spielberg’s Cocker Spaniel Elmer showed up in movies like ‘The Sugarland Express,’ ‘Close Encounters of the Third Kind,’ ‘1941’ and also in ‘Jaws.’
- Spielberg was forbidden twice to direct James Bond movies.
- He has received four Primetime Emmys Awards and seven Daytime Emmys Awards.
📢⚡TRENDING: URI is surging to become a Blockbuster, check the salary of Uri actors here⚡