|Full Name||Malia Ann Obama The List|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 178 cm
in meters- 1.78 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 10”
|Date of Birth||4 July 1998 (Saturday)|
|Age (as of 2020)||22 Years|
|School||• University of Chicago Laboratory School (2008)
• Sidwell Friends School (2009-2016)
|College/University||Harvard University, Cambridge|
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- Barack Obama (former President of the United States)
Mother- Michelle Obama (former First Lady of the United States)
|Siblings||Sister- Sasha Obama
Some Lesser Known Facts About Malia Obama
- Malia Obama is the elder daughter of former President of the United States of America Barack Obama, and former First Lady of the United States Michelle Obama.
- The Obama family, including Malia and her younger sister, Sasha, have been heavily guarded by security agents for a long time; however, soon after Obama’s second presidential term was over, both Malia and Sasha started making public appearances, and their daily life moments were started getting captured by the paparazzi, and since then, Malia has often been spotted on the streets for a run, or at a resort with her friends during holidays.
- Malia Obama’s birthday falls on the biggest holiday in America, i.e., on July 4th. It is a federal holiday as it marks the Independence Day of America. She has spent many birthdays in hotel rooms with her family because of her father’s 4th of July appearances to address the country on the occasion of the Independence Day of America. The family would find time and order dinner and cake in the rooms and dance to her favorite songs.
- Malia Obama was quite an athlete during her school days, and she has won several tennis and basketball titles for her performance in the games.
- Being the daughter of the former President of the United States, Malia had the opportunity to travel and visit new countries even after Barack Obama’s term ended, and she has visited several countries and spent time with her family there.
- In 2017, Malia attended the Sundance Film Festival, where she participated in the protest against the Dakota Access Pipeline construction. The construction had caused harm to the environment and the surroundings of the Native American land.
- Malia joined the march for equality on 19 June 2019, also known as the Juneteenth holiday as it celebrates the Emancipation Proclamation of 1963 that helped in freeing those humans who were enslaved in the United States.
- In an interview with the popular American talk show host Rachael Ray, Michelle Obama revealed that the Secret Service agents stepped in to teach Malia Obama how to drive in 2014. At that time, Barack Obama was the president and according to the US government protocol, the president is not allowed to drive any vehicle. The decision to make them learn how to drive was taken by Barack Obama and Michelle Obama in an effort to make their kids learn to live a normal life. CNN
- Malia moved to Harvard for her formal education in 2017, and since then, she’s been making it to the news for smoking, drinking, and kissing her boyfriend, Rory Farquharson.
- Malia’s major at Harvard University is still unknown but on several occasions, Michelle Obama has mentioned that Malia is interested in filmmaking, and she might pursue a career in that field. Malia took a year break after her school and before she joined Harvard. During this year gap, for a few months, Malia did an internship with The Weinstein Company, an independent film studio. People
- In 2014, Malia Obama and her younger sister, Sasha Obama, were listed among ‘The 25 Most Influential Teens of 2014’ by TIME magazine. TIME
- In 2016, Malia spent the summer working for the U.S. Embassy in Madrid, Spain as an intern. FOX News
- Despite being the daughters of the former President of the United States, Malia and Sasha Obama were not spoiled. They both were asked to do all their chores on their own like making their own beds and cleaning their own room. During an interview, Barack and Michelle Obama talked about the house rules, and Michelle added that the first thing she told the White House staff was-
Don’t make their beds. Make mine.”
- According to the rules and restrictions set up for the President and their family, it was the duty of the Secret Service to drive the family around, but Malia was able to bend the rules on her prom night in 2015 when she went for the prom night with a friend of hers. She asked her parents to “be cool,” and they did so by meeting her friend and getting a few pictures clicked with them before they left for the prom night. However, the Secret Service was following them throughout the night.
- Michelle Obama is known as the style icon in the Obama family, Malia is also following in her mother’s footsteps and getting noticed for her fashion sense. The New York Times
- In a speech for the Beau Biden Foundation for Protection of Children, Barack Obama talked about his experience of dropping off his elder daughter, Malia Obama, at Harvard University. He said-
I dropped off Malia at college, and I was saying to Joe and Jill that it was a little bit like open-heart surgery, and I was proud that I did not cry in front of her. But on the way back, the Secret Service was all looking straight ahead pretending they weren’t hearing me as I sniffled and blew my nose. It was rough.”
- In 2018, Malia Obama also appeared in the music video for “Walking on Air” by the New Dakotas, a Boston-based band. Later, the video was edited and uploaded again and the part with Malia Obama was removed. The band addressed this cut with the help of a post and said-
We’ve edited the video to preserve privacy. Sorry about the glitchy cuts.”
- Malia Obama made her Netflix debut along with her sister, Sasha Obama, for the documentary film Becoming. The documentary followed the former First Lady Michelle Obama as she went on for a 34-city book tour. The documentary showed the life of Michelle Obama from her childhood in Chicago to spending eight years in the White House. The documentary was released on the online streaming platform on 6 May 2020.
- Malia is an animal lover, and the family has two Portuguese Water Dogs named Bo and Sunny.