Some Lesser Known Facts About Sucheta Dalal
- Does Sucheta Dalal smoke?: Not Known
- Does Sucheta Dalal drink alcohol?: Not Known
- Sucheta has done B.Sc in Statistics from Karnataka College and then a graduate and a post-graduate degree in law (LLB and LLM) from Bombay University.
- She began her career in 1984 with an investment magazine- Fortune India.
- In the early 1990s, she started working as a journalist for business and economics wing in Times of India in its Mumbai circulation.
- Working as a journalist opened a great door of opportunities for her, and she became the Financial editor at Times of India.
- She has also worked with many famous business magazines- Business Standard and The Economic Times.
- Sucheta prefers keeping her personal life secret and hence has never opened it up in front of media except that she is married to Debashis Basu, a writer.
- She has a keen interest in writing and specifically writes on the capital market, consumer issues, infrastructure sector, and investor-related issues.
- Sucheta’s work rose to fame when she covered the security scam in 1992, which is considered as one of the greatest financial scandals in the history of India.
- She, along with her husband Debashis, authored a book on the securities scam named “The Scam: Who Won, Who lost, Who got away” in 1993, which became a sensation amongst the public.
- In March 2000, she penned the autobiography of A.D. Shroff, an eminent industrialist, banker and economist of India entitled “A.D. Shroff: Titan of Finance and Free Enterprise”.
- In 2006, she transformed her interest areas into writings for Moneylife, a fortnightly magazine on investment which was started by her husband.
- Sucheta was honoured with the prestigious Padma Shri for journalism in 2006 by Dr A.P.J Abdul Kalam.
- Till 2008, she has worked for The Indian Express Group as a columnist and a consulting editor.
- She, along with her husband, founded Moneylife Foundation in Mumbai which is a not for profit organisation highlighting the poor financial literacy in India.
- She invariably delivers seminars and held discussions creating awareness among people on different useful topics. Here’s a video where Sucheta Dalal talks about how a credit card affects the life of the user and the banker:
- She is widely known for her incredibly excellent work on various investigative cases that are on Harshad Mehta scam of 1992, the Enron scam, the Industrial Development Bank of India scam, the Ketan Parekh scam.
- Apart from journalism, she runs MoneyLife Smart Savers Network, which aims to educate individual investors to become better and talented at investing.
- She also helps people with their difficulties regarding mutual funds, investments, redressal mechanism for Insurance, and other financial issues through a Credit Helpline.
- She was also awarded the Femina’s Woman of Substance award for her work on the Harshad Mehta scam, and the Chameli Devi Award organised by the Media Foundation for her superiority in journalism.
- Her established foundation- Moneylife Foundation was honoured with the prestigious 10th MR Pai Memorial award.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of ICC World Cup Winners (1975-2015)