Some Lesser Known Facts About Vijay Barse
- He is a retired sports professor from the Hislop College in Nagpur with 36 years of service.
- One day he saw some slum children playing football with a small bucket, he noticed that the time they were indulged in the sports, they were away from all the malice activities. He with some of his colleagues planned to organize a tournament and make more slum children take part in it.
- In 2001, he founded slum soccer and organized a tournament in Nagpur. 128 teams participated in the tournament.
- He recieved 18 Lakh after his retirement from which he bought land about 9 km from Nagpur and built an academy of football for the underprivileged.
- His son, Abhijeet in an interview revealed that his father has also worked for the Indo-Pak peace and has also organized motorcycle expeditions to the border to talk peace. Barse also has worked for improving the green cover by promoting tree plantation.
- In 2006, Abhijeet left his job in the U.S.A and came to India to support his father in his movement of upliftment of the slum dwellers.
- In 2007, he took the team to the international level when the Indian Homeless team was selected for the Homeless World Cup.
- In 2012, he was bestowed with the Real Hero Award and was given by Sachin Tendulkar.
- In 2014, he featured in the first episode of the Satyamev Jayate Season 3, hosted by Aamir Khan.
- In 2016, his son Abhijeet received the inaugural Fifa Diversity Award on behalf of Slum Soccer. On this Abhijeet said,
For India, this is one of the biggest honours Fifa has bestowed upon us…This is a tribute to what football can do for marginalised kids and their lives.
- In 2018, a biopic was announced of him with the movie titled, ‘Jhund.’ Amitabh Bachchan was cast for the role of Barse in the direction of the Sairat movie director, Nagraj Manjule.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of IPL Winners (2008-2018)