Age: 28 Years
Hometown: Sonepat, Haryana
|winning a gold medal in 2022 Commonwealth Games held in Birmingham, England
|Physical Stats & More
|At the Asian Games in 2018
|Date of Birth
|27 October 1994 (Thursday)
|Age (as of 2022)
|Relationships & More
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sudhir
- Sudhir is an Indian heavyweight para powerlifter. In August 2022, he came into the limelight when he won a historic gold medal in the men’s heavyweight para powerlifting at the Commonwealth Games organised in Birmingham, England.
- During the Commonwealth Games, he lifted 208kgs in the first attempt and 212kg in the second attempt. He failed to lift 217kg in the third and last attempt but bagged a gold medal for the country. Upon winning this event, he set a record with his total points of 134.5 by defeating his opponent Ikechukwu Obichukwu (133.6 points) from Nigeria by 0.9 points.
- Soon after winning a gold medal in the Commonwealth Games in 2022, he was asked in a media interview what were his upcoming plans after the win. He said that he was planning to go shopping in London. He told,
My preparation was very good and I thank Birmingham for this. Preparation was good, the weather was good, the crowd was great – fantastic. Next for me is a celebration: I’m going to London to enjoy some shopping and see the city.”
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi congratulated Sudhir for creating history by winning a gold medal in para-powerlifting.
- He is suffering an impairment due to polio since the age of four. In 2013, he began practising powerlifting professionally.
- In 2018, he made his international powerlifting debut at the Asian Para Games organised in Indonesia and won a gold medal for the country in the 80kg category.
- Later, he started working as a senior coach with the Government of Haryana. In 2018, he earned the title “Strong Man of India” at the 17th Senior and 12th Junior National Para Powerlifting Championships.