Wife: Radhika Nair
Age: 65 Years
• TV Host
• Playback Singer
• Social Worker
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 180 cm
in meters- 1.80 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 11”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 75 kg
in pounds- 165 lbs
|Debut||Film as a child actor: Odayil Ninnu (1965)
Film as an actor: Niramulla Ravulkal (1986)
TV: Ningalkkum Aakaam Kodeeshwaran (2012)
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Best Actor Award at National Film Awards for the film Kaliyattam in 1998
• Best Actor Award at Kerala State Film Awards for the film Kaliyattam in 1998
• Nominated for Best Actor Award at Filmfare Awards South for the film Apothecary in 2014
• Nominated for Best Actor in a Negative Role Award at Filmfare Awards South for the film I in 2016
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
|Political Journey||• On 29 April 2016, he became a member of Rajya Sabha, the upper house of the Indian Parliament.
• On 19 October 2016, he joined Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
• He contested elections from Thrissur Lok Sabha constituency; however, he lost and came third.
• He contested elections again from Thrissur seat in the Kerala Legislative Assembly; however, he could not win and came third.
|Date of Birth||Source 1: 25 June 1958 (Wednesday)
Source 2: 26 June 1958 (Thursday)
|Age (as of 2023)||65 Years|
|Birthplace||Kollam, Kerala, India|
|School||• Infant Jesus Anglo-Indian School
• Fatima Mata National College, Kollam
|Educational Qualification||• Bachelor's degree of Science in Zoology
• Master's degree in Arts in English Literature (completed in 1982) MyNeta
|Address||Lekshmi, D-9, Temple Road, Sasthamangalam, Thiruvananthapuram - 695010|
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||8 February 1990
• Gokul Suresh
• Madhav Suresh
• Bhagya Suresh
• Bhavni Suresh
Note: Their another daughter, Lakshmi Suresh, died in a road accident at the age of one and a half years.
|Parents||Father- K. Gopinathan Pillai (Film distributor)
Mother- V. Gnanalekshmi Amma (died on 16 June 2012)
|Siblings||Brother- Three (Younger)
• Subhash Gopi
• Sunil Gopi
• Sanil Gopi (Sanil and Sunil are twins)
|Car Collection||• Toyota Vellfire
• Tata Safari
• Audi Q7
|Salary (approx.)||Rs. 3,24,29,750
Note: This salary was for the financial year 2019-2020. It excludes the net worth of his wife and dependents (minors). MyNeta
• Cash: Rs. 40,000
• Bank Deposits: Rs. 73,42,947
• Motor Vehicles: Rs. 1,94,18,945
• Jewellery: Rs. 1,43,37,000
• Agricultural Land: Rs. 83,00,000
• Non-Agricultural Land: Rs. 1,61,47,918
• Residential Buildings: Rs. 3,34,94,100
Note: The given estimates of movable and immovable assets are according to the year 2021. It excludes the assets owned by his wife and dependents (minor). MyNeta
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 11 Crores 38 Lakhs
Note: This net worth is for the financial year 2020-2021. It excludes the net worth of his wife and dependents (minors). MyNeta
Some Lesser Known Facts About Suresh Gopi
- Suresh Gopi is an Indian actor, TV host, politician, and social activist who has made notable contributions to the film industries of Mollywood and Kollywood. With an extensive filmography that spans over 250 films, he has gained fame for his portrayals of police and army officers in action-oriented movies. He became an official member of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in 2016.
- During his college years, he developed a keen interest in the world of films after seeing the movies featuring renowned actor Kamal Haasan.
- His acting journey began in 1986 with supporting roles, where he showcased his versatility by portraying both negative and positive characters. Some notable roles include his portrayal as a potential groom in the 1986 film ‘T. P. Balagopalan M. A.’, a villain in the 1987 film ‘Irupatham Noottandu,’ the character of Harry in the 1988 film ‘Oru CBI Diary Kurippu,’ Sub Inspector Minnal Prathapan in the 1988 film ‘Manu Uncle.’
- He attained superstardom in the 1990s, primarily through his portrayal of strong and dynamic characters such as Army and Police officers in films directed by Shaji Kailas and written by Renji Panicker. His career received a significant boost with the release of the 1992 film ‘Thalastaanam,’ where he played the lead role of Harikrishnan.
- He portrayed the character of Madhavan IPS in ‘Ekalavyan’ (1993), Ravishankar in ‘Mafia’ (1993), Nakulan in ‘Manichitrathazhu’ (1993), and City Police Commissioner Bharathchandran IPS in ‘Commissioner’ (1994). In the film ‘Highway’ (1995), he took on the dual roles of Sreedhar Prasad IPS and Mahesh Aravind, a RAW officer, displaying his range as a performer.
- In the mid-1990s, he showcased his versatility by taking on diverse roles in his films. He portrayed Anand, also known as Colonel, a wildlife photographer in the 1996 film ‘Rajaputran.’ In the 1997 film “Lelam,” he played the character of Captain Jacob Stephen, also known as Aanakattil Chackochi. He further demonstrated his acting talent as Kannan Perumalayan, a Theyyam artist, in the 1997 film “Kaliyattam.”
- He later portrayed the role of Kannan in the 2000 film ‘Thenkasipattanam,’ Dr. Warrier in the 2005 film ‘Makalkku,’ Vishwanathan in the 2010 film ‘Janakan,’ Dr. Vijay Nambiar in the 2014 film ‘Apothecary,’ and Adiraja Bhattadiri in the 2015 film ‘My God.’ After the release of “My God” in 2015, he took a break from acting.
- After a four-year hiatus, he made a comeback to acting in March 2019 with the Tamil film ‘Tamilarasan,’ in which he portrayed the character of Dr. Muruganandam. The film was released in 2023.
- He later played many notable roles such as Major Unnikrishnan, a retired army officer, in the 2020 film ‘Varane Avashyamund,’ Circle Inspector Abraham Mathew ‘Mathan,’ also known as Paappan, in the 2022 film ‘Paappan,’ Kaduvakkunnel Kuruvachan in the film ‘Ottakkomban,’ which would be released in 2024.
- He hosted several TV shows including the 2012 Asianet show ‘Ningalkkum Aakaam Kodeeshwaran’ (Malayalam version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?) and the 2021 Surya TV show AnchinoduInchodinchu (Malayalam version of Are you Smarter than a Fifth Grader?).
- In 2016, The President of India appointed him as a member of Rajya Sabha under the eminent persons category in accordance with the Article 80 of the Indian Constitution.
- He is known for his support to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- In September 2017, during the height of the controversy surrounding the entry to Sabarimala’s Sree Ayyappa temple, he made a statement at a public function expressing his desire to be reborn as a Brahmin and serve as a head priest or lower priest at the temple. This statement received backlash from protestors, who expressed their dissatisfaction through posts on social media, condemning his remarks. The News Minute
- In March 2018, Suresh Gopi made a public statement acknowledging the presence of caste discrimination in the Malayalam Film Industry when he initially entered the industry; however, he mentioned that as he and other artists started receiving recognition and awards for their work, the situation began to change. Asianet News
- He is renowned for his helping nature and has been recognized for extending support to fellow artists and individuals without considering factors such as caste, politics, or religion. In May 2020, noted Malayalam director Alleppey Ashraf revealed that Gopi had provided assistance to the family of the late Malayalam actor Ratheesh. Gopi not only cleared their debts but also took care of their educational expenses. He also presented gold souvenirs for the wedding of Ratheesh’s daughter. Mathrubhumi
- He was a member of the Association of Malayalam Movie Artistes (A.M.M.A); however, when he was fined Rs 2 Lakhs for attending a program, while other artists who committed similar actions were not penalized, he chose to resign from the association in response to what he perceived as an unfair treatment. Mathrubhumi
- He is known to be a cricket lover and enjoys watching cricket matches.